Cheap wagon chassis

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm passing this post on from another forum in case anyone is interested. Please use the email link in the post if you want to follow it up.

Rik

Thought that you all might be interested in a batch of one-piece chassis that I had made. They were made in 1mm steel basically for scratch building anything on four wheels, mainly wagons/vans but conceivably (and with a bit of ingenuity) small locos. They were made locally by Liverpool Laser & Tube Limited (https://liverpoollaserandtube.co.uk) at a cost of £100 for ten plus VAT, by far the cheapest quote that I got.

I had them made for Gauge 3 (63.5mm) but the firm told me that, using the same 3D model as a basis, they could also make chassis for the very popular G Scale (45mm) and possibly other gauges also. What with the state of things financially I imagine that lots of us will be thinking about scratch building and this sort of strong, cheap chassis would make an excellent starting point.

I don't run G Scale myself but would be happy to get a small batch made if anyone was interested. The chassis are folded using an LVD CNC " Robotic Bending System" making them very strong and to a high level of precision (Press brakes).

I estimate that 22swg/0.7mm would be fine for the smaller scale and given that steel prices currently are a significant factor, the smaller chassis would be cheaper than my Gauge 3 batch so maybe around £8 each.

Scaled down to 45mm gauge, the approximate overall dimensions would be length 140mm, width 52mm and wheelbase 70mm.

If you would like to put your name down for a sample chassis, please email me direct (not pm) - roligdag@gmail.com.

Wheels in photos not included.

Thanks and stay safe,

Clive

DSCF4366.JPGDSCF4371.JPGDSCF4369.JPG

P.S.

WHEELBASE, LENGTH ETC

Just to point out that both of the above plus any other dimensions can easily be varied as per the customer's requirements.

So you could have a SWB version for bogies, LWB for modern freight cars or old four wheel coaches etc.

Also, the "buffer beams" at each end could be different depth and pre-drilled for buffers or couplings at no extra cost, same for axle holes etc.

Very versatile in fact.

Clive

Last edited:

Clive Aintree

Registered
5 Apr 2022
Liverpool UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks,

I'm Clive and that's my post from another forum.

So I'll be offering a G Scale version of the steel chassis at £9 each inc VAT with £2 post for the first one then free postage for two or more. This includes packing in a box and tracked postage. (Wheels shown in photos not included.)

Payment will be by PayPal only for full buyer protection and I'm an very experienced eBay seller with 4k 100% positive feedback ( eBay name "dolemole").

I'm currently working with an very experienced G Scale forum member to finalise the spec. The beauty of the 3D model is that just about any dimensions can be changed and, for example, later you could have SWB versions for bogies, LWB for flat cars, four wheel coaches etc.

I've got four orders so far and as soon as we hit ten, I will get my order into Liverpool Laser for the batch to be made which should take about a week.

Due to other commitments, I won't be able to sell any more of these chassis myself for the moment so it will then be for clubs and groups of modellers to order £100 minimum batches direct from Liverpool Laser themselves.

So if you want one or more, now's a good time to get your order in.

Watch this space for the final spec and order/postage dates.

All the best and stay safe,

Clive

Clive Aintree

Registered
5 Apr 2022
Liverpool UK
Best answers
Country flag
FINAL SPEC AND ORDERING/PAYMENT ARRANGEMENTS

Wheelbase 80mm, total chassis length 150mm. Buffer beams 12mm deep and inner measurement between frames 60mm.
0.7mm steel with phosphate coating. 3mm axle holes.

Price £9 each with free postage for two or more ( postage for one £2-50.) Payment by PayPal only with full buyer protection.

To order, please email me direct at roligdag@gmail.com saying how many you require ( please do not pm.) As soon as I have ten chassis ordered, I will place the order with Liverpool Laser which should mean chassis ready in 7-10 days.

I will then send out PayPal invoices and post out by Hermes when payment received. The chassis will be packed in a box.

Clive