Cabooses

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Just an in-passing comment - is it me or does there appear to be a disproportionate number of cabooses on sale on Ebay and elsewhere?
When you consider that normally there would be one caboose per train of say, 10 wagons there seem to be far more of them in comparison.:thinking:
Incidentally, I have three (although I have four American locos to go with them) !8|

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Yup, everyone has to have a cabin/hack/van/caboose or two for whatever reason. Also think most US train sets that had them had 1-3 other cars with them.

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
There's a few nice long lgb caboose that i wouldn't mind but there a bit steep.....$200 for an santa fe one.. in red :love:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
funandtrains said:
If you want an excuse to run more often the Rio Grande ran 2 cabooses per train, the second used as accomodation for sleeping crew next to the loco.

That's handy to know Steve especially as I have two of the cabooses fitted as match cars with knuckles and hook and loop, one of which is a Rio Grande!:clap:

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
I have 7 cabooses on my line all are used with matching locos . AMS 1:20.3 Rio Grande runs with my K-27 , Bachmann 1:22 Bogie Rio Grande runs with Annies and 4-4-0 , Bachmann Bobber for logging trains , Aristo Bogie Rio Grande yellow silver runs with USAT Alco PA1 PB1 , Aristo Bogie Santa Fe red runs with USAT Santa Fe Warbonnet GP 38-2 , Aristo Bobber used for track cleaning and last of all USAT Santa Fe Blue side window caboose used on Santa Fe / Southern Parcific .

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
well if i guess correctly
every buyer (at least in the US would have a caboose-the icon of railroading) no matter how long the train

the 'drovers caboose ' makes for a plausible one car train

over the years i have collected ....15! all shapes and sizes, colors and wheel configurations

and to support the original post

-they DO seem to be very very inexpensive in the past few years-especially the original old 4065 shape and the oddball WP&Y shapes in non WP&Y livery-anything that doesnt have steel or ball bearing wheels

the 4065 in particular is an oddity-strange cupola, strange suspension, some molded details, and that damned molded flat spot for the old original DRGW herald-funny i originally couldnt stand them and now i really like them-just becuase ive seen them for thirty plus years and a photo of the very old prototype 

in the past few months i purchased two 4065s one in dark red adn one in an almost brown (black plastic under body) each for about $30 US with lights! not so long ago they were selling the new four axle wood sided bobbers and the long modern standard gauge LGB steel cabooses for around 40 and 80 respectively

i guess given the super detail and fidelity of the newest bachman and AMR cabooses they are no longer wanted

ill bet LGB made huge runs of cabooses at a time 

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
My layout's based on a relatively simple line schematic, which is Y shaped with three termini. When I came to work out the timetable with a daily mixed and freight on each line, plus a mineral and a timber train it was amazing how many cabooses were needed - worked out as 2 for passenger workings (a combine and drover caboose) plus three for freight trips, so that they all return to their home depot by the end of the timetable. At least one of the freight cabooses only does one trip a day, but is also needed in case freight Extras need to be run.

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Richie said:
I have 7 cabooses on my line all are used with matching locos . AMS 1:20.3 Rio Grande runs with my K-27 , Bachmann 1:22 Bogie Rio Grande runs with Annies and 4-4-0 , Bachmann Bobber for logging trains , Aristo Bogie Rio Grande yellow silver runs with USAT Alco PA1 PB1 , Aristo Bogie Santa Fe red runs with USAT Santa Fe Warbonnet GP 38-2 , Aristo Bobber used for track cleaning and last of all USAT Santa Fe Blue side window caboose used on Santa Fe / Southern Parcific .

Does that mean your cabeese Richie :D :D

Ian Powell

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East Bedfont, Middlesex
www.freewebs.com
Best answers
Country flag
One can never have too many cabooses. I likes cabooses I do.
Especially the one we lodged in.

4228cef1007949269c54dac7fa409009.jpg

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Ian Powell said:

Where was that Ian? Looks like the park we stayed in!!
62a6207889ce4c799e8991debfc861af.jpg

7079eed4f45447039eaa81c9157eda98.jpg

Ian Powell

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East Bedfont, Middlesex
www.freewebs.com
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
Ian Powell said:

Where was that Ian? Looks like the park we stayed in!!

Sorry Paul, been away from the forum. Ours was at the Double K Ranch B&B in Tucson. The have one room in the house and the caboose.
Highly recommended especially the breakfast. I will dig out an interior pic. Apart from the shower and double bed, everything was original.
www.doublekranch.com/

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Talking of Caboose', here's one we just missed staying in somewhere near Banff, Canada. It was a B&B but had just been let before we arrived. I was quite disappointed, but I didn't let that spoil the holiday, we had a great time.

559ab432e7d74a80abe26023e3ceb00a.jpg

Not sure which railway the livery is for. :happy::happy::happy:

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Have spoken with "Trousers" and she reckons it was in Golden, B.C., which isn't that far from Banff.