Bridge piers and track support

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I recently bought a 50610 girder bridge from another forumite as I would like to include one in the redesign of part of my layout. I already had a couple of the 50600 truss bridges so thought I could incorporate them to produce a sizeable structure. I have a few questions.
  • I duly purchased boxes of 50612 (single blocks), 50613 (triple blocks) and 50614 (pier tops) plus some 50611 bridge mounts. I note the first three all have a series of locating 'pips' on the bottom to assist with assembly. Do I just cut off those at the base after I've gained the desired height so they sit flat or am I missing another part like a baseplate?
  • Are the piers secured in position on the ground or left to move to accommodate any rail expansion due to hot weather?
  • Documentation suggests a single 15mm block increase for each 300mm track section which gives a gradient of 1 in 20 (5%). I consider this might be a bit severe for the length/weight of trains I intend to operate so was looking to extend the spacing to 600mm. As there will be curved track within the climb I thought R3s would be more appropriate to improve stability, aid traction and ease coupling stresses. To improve the appearance and rigidity I want to place a support under the track rather than have a precarious toy-like rail and sleeper job. What have others used? I thought I might purchase a couple of the long plastic facia boards and cut sections approximately 150mm wide to slide under the sleepers and fit between the tops of the piers with some sort of guardrail each side, giving a continuous track bed.
  • How high do I need to raise the bridge to provide adequate clearance for my (mostly) LGB rolling stock? Alternatively what would be the equivalent of the full size loading gauge?
Any suggestions, guidance or photos would be much appreciated.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Re support under the track. If you are going to put in something to represent a steel span, then rule of thumb is a 10:1 length to depth ratio.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike, he documentation isn't very helpful. From what I can make out, you just cut off the base pins of the bottom pier. It works for me, but I am only working with a triple pier height.

I use the piers on a lay down and take up layout and so there is no question of fixing them to the ground and just have a pier and rail layout without anything under the rails.

As regards clearance for stock going under the bridge/rails, you need 8 or 9 inches I think.

Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have some 50611 bridge mounts I've kept meaning to put up for sale on GSC; wish I'd got round to it sooner and I could have savs you some money.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gordon. If you want to dispose of them I'm more than happy to purchase. I was going to buy some more anyway as I will need to incorporate two LGB 50600 Warren Truss bridges either side of the main one. Drop me a PM whenever if you decide to go ahead.
Regards Mike.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gordon. If you want to dispose of them I'm more than happy to purchase. I was going to buy some more anyway as I will need to incorporate two LGB 50600 Warren Truss bridges either side of the main one. Drop me a PM whenever if you decide to go ahead.
Regards Mike.

I'm in a very wet Hunstanton at the moment (Friday, 10:30pm) and I'll sort things out after Christmas.

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike,

Apologies, I've just remembered this! Are you still wanting these?

Gordon

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm in a very wet Hunstanton at the moment (Friday, 10:30pm) and I'll sort things out after Christmas.
I was going to say that you should have called by - we're not far from sunny Hunny, but we were abroad for Chrimbo.

Next time you're in the only east coast resort that faces west, give us a shout - Rhino towers is about 8 miles or so down the road :nod::nod::nod:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I was going to say that you should have called by - we're not far from sunny Hunny, but we were abroad for Chrimbo.

Next time you're in the only east coast resort that faces west, give us a shout - Rhino towers is about 8 miles or so down the road :nod::nod::nod:

That's very kind of you. We're next down next from 28th Feb to 3rd March.
Yes please Gordon.

I'll sort things out in the next few days and get back to you price etc.