Brake coach for Sterling single from Bachmann Emily coach

jeremy.viewing

Registered
15 Aug 2014
Souldrop
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
sterling brake coach 1 (Medium).JPG Sterling brake coach 2 (Medium).jpg Sterling brake coach 4 (Medium).jpg Sterling brake coach 5 (Medium).jpg Decided to make a brake coach from the G scale TTTE Bachmann Emily coach. Unscrewed the body from the chassis which was modified as my earlier thread described. The last four window compartment was cutout of each side and swopped left to right and a guards ducket was fabricated from Styrene covering the last window and the coach re-assembled and painted. The steps are Brandbright with brass wire hand rails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A very nice and neat piece of work.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
I like this one too... At first I couldn't work out why you had swapped the mouldings round, but seeing the final result, thats clever !

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Another great piece of work, loved the single and a few of these behind it would look very fetching indeed. Top modelling.......

Jerry Barnes

Garden Railways, Live Steam, Jukeboxes, Record Col
27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Great job again Jeremy. You do really great work and have a good imagination as to how to accomplish it. Maybe I'll have to keep an eye out for a cheap coach. 8)

PaulFwalker

Registered
8 Aug 2017
UK
Best answers
Lovely job. I have started to convert some of my ownDSCF7064.JPG DSCF7062.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
They certainly look the business! They've completely lost the quite "toylike" appearance they have straight from the box. How well do they cope with the smaller radii? I know the middle wheels are flangeless but it's still quite a long vehicle.

PaulFwalker

Registered
8 Aug 2017
UK
Best answers
They certainly look the business! They've completely lost the quite "toylike" appearance they have straight from the box. How well do they cope with the smaller radii? I know the middle wheels are flangeless but it's still quite a long vehicle.
They all go round ridiculously small radius curves the only disadvantage is they look wrong on small curves but if you can live with it then they are fine.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
They all go round ridiculously small radius curves the only disadvantage is they look wrong on small curves but if you can live with it then they are fine.
Cheers for the info, I'll have to start saving my pennies!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Stirling with the modified coaches looks most pleasing trundling round. The difference in Track Gauge is not at all noticeable as I thought it may have been. Super job.
JonD

PaulFwalker

Registered
8 Aug 2017
UK
Best answers
Very nice!! now who's up for making a g scale LNWR Hardwick and rerunning the Race to the north!!
I've considered making a LNWR 2-2-2 from another Emily. Iv'e seen it done with the OO version and Emily's front bogie is a fake which uses only the two front wheels. The other two are fixed to the chassis and are drivers with the big wheel.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
How well do they cope with the smaller radii? I know the middle wheels are flangeless but it's still quite a long vehicle.
If you look closely, the middle wheels are off the rail on R1s and R2s. Answer: Don't look closely ;). The coaches (and Emily herself) also produce quite a bit of flange squeal on those curves. Mind you, so do Bachmann's goods wagons. Now you know why LGB used swivelling trucks.
I stopped using Emily and her train at shows because the noise disturbed the neighbours :( (and, to be honest, me).
The answer is probably R3 (or wider) curves, but I don't have the space.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
If you look closely, the middle wheels are off the rail on R1s and R2s. Answer: Don't look closely ;). The coaches (and Emily herself) also produce quite a bit of flange squeal on those curves. Mind you, so do Bachmann's goods wagons. Now you know why LGB used swivelling trucks.
I stopped using Emily and her train at shows because the noise disturbed the neighbours :( (and, to be honest, me).
The answer is probably R3 (or wider) curves, but I don't have the space.

Squeal is prototypical (at least in the Tramway world!). Curves were often a slightly wider gauge. I'd love an Emily (for the kids at shows you understand!).

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Great conversions:cool::cool: