Boom arms control

sircastor

Registered
3 Apr 2024
Portland, OR
Best answers
Country flag
My 6-year-old recently asked me if we could make a train crossing for our LGB Starter set. Being a 3D Printing enthusiast and amateur designer, I set right to it. It took a fair bit of test prints to get a final product that the rail I have would slide into (I got some Aristocraft 1ft sections I pulled off the ties) and it worked out pretty well.

I'm moving onto adding automatic boom arms for the train and I'm curious how this is handled in other products. Is it a single motor that lowers them via a pulley? Two motors? Something else? I suppose one could make an argument for some sort of magnetic deal. Anyway, suggestions welcome.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 5.20.08 PM.png

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My 6-year-old recently asked me if we could make a train crossing for our LGB Starter set. Being a 3D Printing enthusiast and amateur designer, I set right to it. It took a fair bit of test prints to get a final product that the rail I have would slide into (I got some Aristocraft 1ft sections I pulled off the ties) and it worked out pretty well.

I'm moving onto adding automatic boom arms for the train and I'm curious how this is handled in other products. Is it a single motor that lowers them via a pulley? Two motors? Something else? I suppose one could make an argument for some sort of magnetic deal. Anyway, suggestions welcome.

View attachment 325670
The LGB one uses weight of the train, I think there is a pad beneath the xing that acts upon complex wire routes to drop the 2 arms. Good luck replicating that!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A second vote for servos..

PhilP

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB one uses weight of the train, I think there is a pad beneath the xing that acts upon complex wire routes to drop the 2 arms. Good luck replicating that!
Yeah, I have one of those....

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Is it a single motor that lowers them via a pulley? Two motors?

The sole electrically powered G scale boom-gate crossing (Pola 940) for G scale (that I am aware of) used separate motors on each side.

IMG_7452.jpeg

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Somewhere I have some code to control 2 level crossing gates run by servos, using reed switch contacts to detect the loco - these could also be optical sensors or micro switches, etc.

I'll see if I can dig it out for you.

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Quite a few articles about using Arduino for the job. This one uses servos

Rik
EDIT: PS Just noticed that this, and all the others I've found so far, relies on IR sensors to trigger the Arduino. IR sensors can be unreliable in the great outdoors, especially on those odd occasions during the year when the sun shines.

Alternatives could be:
  • Simple pressure switch on or under the track
  • Reed switch if all locos are equipped with magnets
  • Motion sensors
Alternatively (again), you could just operate it manually or remotely with a simple RC device (eg 433Mhz Wireless Remote Control Switch DC 12V 1CH Relay Receiver Module RF Transm | eBay

Last edited:

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
If i may chime in?
Go old school. a magnetic read contact between the rails and a simple small dc motor.
When the first read contact closes the dc motor will close the boom.
When de boom is closed it wil go on a micro switch to disconnect the circuit.
When the train passes over the next read contact it will open the circuit with reversed + and - so the dc motor will open the boom again.
When the bom is boom is open again it will touch a other micro switch to disconnect that circuit and reset the whole circus again for the next train.

On aliexpress you will find all you need.
Geared dc motors(buy per ten) for under a euro a piece.