Bluetooth and Arduino

ge_rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
I think I've improved the sound files - though maybe you should be the judge.

I've blogged what I've done here just in case anyone ever wants to have a try themselves:
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... art-4.html

I've more or less finished my experimentations with Bluetooth and phone apps. It might be because I am not an avid user of a mobile phone, but I do find using a phone to be a nuisance compared with a handheld transmitter. Not only is it hard to see the screen but I find it all too easy to press one of the buttons on the side of the phone and switch the darn thing off - usually at a critical moment. I'm sure it would be possible to pair more than one loco with the app and switch from controlling one to the other, but my Deltang Tx22 does that quite easily, so I can't see it is much of an advantage. I suppose the real advantage is that it's possible to equip a loco with Bluetooth control and sound for just under £20 (plus the cost of the batteries - another £5) - even cheaper if you get your gear directly from China.

Anyway - my dabblings (ie circuitry and programming codes) are there for anyone to play around with if you're more tech-savvy than me.

Rik
 
ge_rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
Latest on this. I've now replaced the Bluetooth set-up with 2.4gHz RC using NRF24 modules and Arduino. I was never entirely at ease with using a phone or tablet to control the loco - I struggled to see the screen in sunlight (remember that?) and much prefer having a knob to twiddle - which I don't need to look at. So, I put the Tx into a case (similar to those I used for RC Trains). I've still not fully mastered how to trigger sounds using the NRF24, but am a much happier bunny than I was with the Bluetooth arrangement.
DSCI3107.JPG DSCI3106.JPG

Range seems to be at least 30m - that's the maximum I can achieve in my garden without climbing the fence - and even managed to maintain control behind the sheds at that distance.

I'm still not entirely happy with the level of control the system achieves - not as smooth and controllable as my Deltang systems. I need to keep tinkering with the PWM settings, but the library I installed for those appeared to be bug-ridden so I've had to revert to the lower Arduino PWM settings - which give a rougher ride.

Rik