pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I wasn't going to do this, but seeing as the 'middle class' thread got some of us going about using cheap stuff, well if you're sitting comfortably then I'll begin.
This is a bit of a follow on to the 'paint your wagon' thread I put up a while ago, I went mad buying cheap stake wagons on ebay and this one came up quoted as being in perfect condition and only run one year. When it arrived I spotted straight away that it was a dog, it must have run one continuous year, it was filthy, only 2 non-matching stakes, no brake pipes and no coupling hook - in fact one loop was loose where the guy had nicked the hook & spring. It was unceremoniously slung in a corner in disgust after I worked out it was more than its worth to send it back. The VW went in the bin straight off.
The pipes for the other flat car were cut to length and as I was about to stick them on noticed the wagon only had 1 coupling hook, as all my stock is fitted with 2 hooks to avoid those embarassing moments it was out with the spares box. While I'm at it I'll put hooks on the yellow flat car too, I thought. Whilst doing this I noticed this flat car wasn't, it has 2 bars on it (to prevent the valuable car shooting off I suppose) which caused a tiny light to shine over my head. It was logical that the pipes would go on such a wagon in order to get slings, ropes, forklifts or other lifting gear underneath, okay we have plan B.
First fit the couplings and the brake pipes, then BATHTIME as the wagon was so cruddy no paint would stick, so while the Mrs isn't looking it got a scrub in the kitchen sink, leave to dry

d164966115f949e888f8edf8e02307bf.jpg

then take the wheels out and decide on a colour. Once again I wanted to go the 'private owners wagon' route but quite like the yellow so blue and yellow as in the European Flag (ish).
The chassis got sprayed blue, the wheels and deck yellow (yes Zmate, I painted the yellow bit yellow) with the ends of the planks brush painted the same, the two cross bars were brush painted deep grey as it was going to be used for the weathering. I didn't pay too much attention to the center of the deck or cross bars as there was going to be a load on. By now I had a whopping 6 stakes so they were painted yellow too.

46752b2268ee463ea2109de16faceb11.jpg

Next, down and dirty with the weathering colours and then a spray over with Graupner Acryl Fix matt varnish, leave to dry.

fe6b97fcc5714043aca93e2c22aa26d9.jpg

Next the load, leftover aluminium tubing cut to just under the length of the flat wagon, hot-melt glued into position. It fits between the stakes but I'm sure in the real world they would have to be secured, well just by chance I had some chain left over from the crane train, and just by chance there are two fittings for stakes for it to 'attach' to. Fix one side with hot-melt glue and let it set a couple of minutes, pass it over the pipes and down the hole on the other side, pull gently to tension the chain and fix with more of that napalm glue, snip off dangly bits and there you go.

d6a7242cd9d347adadfb9b38fc1226f7.jpg

Now the vitaly important bit, take it out and test it. By jove it works.

1b68978bcb874ed983c2acba0aba623c.jpg

So, total costs? €10 for the flattie, couplings and brake hoses were in the spares box, bit of paint, bit of left over chain, left over tube, say €15 all in. 2 evenings work. I'm going to make signs for the sides with some black plastic I've got, need to order white letraset or similar as no-one around here seems to have it.
But what would this cost if it was an original LGB wagon and not a jazzed up Toytrain truck? Who cares?

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Forgot something, I came up with 2 golden rules of airbrushing:
Thou shalt not fiddle with the not to be fiddled with bits or thou shall have to go with a bag of airbrush bits to thy mate who can put it together for you.
Thou shalt not leave thy glasses in the overspray area, or thou shall look a right pratt.

First person to say it looks like a circus wagon gets a thump. :D

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Well reclaimed/recycled etc.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Neat job Puggy. Those LGB flat wagons can be great value for money. I picked up one of the Toy Train versions with a forklift on it for £7 from the member's stand at GRail last year - right at the death when all the queues had gone. Everyone had ignored it while they went for the stuff costing hundreds of pounds.

Not only does this prove that a great little G scale wagon can be made for about the same price as a OO model, but you also end up with something that is unique to your railway. :clap:

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers
Iv taken a quick look (will be sure to give it a proper read later) and honestly it looks a little toyish (the paintscheme that is) and the only situation I could put it in is a circus train but each to his own.

good job, Iv got a couple of those in the garage.
need to do something with them sometime.

by the way Iv had the same problem with LGB wagons being described as PERFECT but when Iv recieved it its dirty, smells and looks like its been stuff down the side of a shed for years.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nowt wrong with these Toytrain wagons?

I have a couple myself as well as some of the 'proper' LGB ones.

Can I tell the difference between the Toytrain and the LGB wagons? Nope....

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Pauly said:
it looks a little toyish (the paintscheme that is) and the only situation I could put it in is a circus train but each to his own.

Thump. :rofl:

It looks bright when photographed close up with the flash on, but once outside it seems much better, and don't forget private owners wagons are often in eyecatching colour schemes.
There had been a train in the sidings of the port for 3 days, bright blue and yellow, glossy too - brand spanking new - so of course today when I finally took my camera some bugger had shifted it! :impatient: it really was brighter than my little job. :D