Loading/cattle dock cast in concrete

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure if anyone else has tried this approach but I've been exploring how structures can be cast in situ in concrete using quite basic moulds. My latest efforts are some loading / cattle docks - eg:

IMG_3671.JPG
IMG_3673.JPG

OK - not quite perfected it yet - I should have inserted the posts less close to the edge, but the principle seems to be sound. Something I think I've invented (I've not seen it elsewhere yet, but no doubt someone else has beaten me to it) is using a hot glue gun to create the mortar courses in the stonework:
IMG_3480.JPG
IMG_3496.JPG

It seems to work well, a lot better than I expected:

IMG_3497.JPG

Some of you may remember that I first tried it on the overbridges I cast earlier in the year. Anyway, this approach to structures seems to be promising, I'm going to keep experimenting with it and will keep you posted.

My main concern is how they will fare during a frosty winter. Has anyone experience of weather-proofing cast concrete structures in a sub-zero environment?

As previously, I've gone into more detail on my blog if you're interested. And as always, it carries my usual health warning - I certainly don't profess to be an expert, just wanting to share my experiences...............

[*]http://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-i-cast-cattleloading-docks-from.html < Link To The cattle / loading dock page link[*]http://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-i-cast-two-concrete-overbridges.html < Link To The overbridges page link (as in an earlier posting)
Rik

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Nice job Rik. I wonder if you could cast lengths of tubing into the concrete where the fences are going to be that the fences plug in to? You could then remove the fences during the winter/bad weather so that they might last a bit longer, or are easily replaced?

Anorak

Registered
20 Jun 2010
Norfolk
Best answers
For frost protection there are a couple of options. Firstly you could add some lime to your mix, similar proportions as the portland. It'll take a while for the lime to have an effect but once the lime carbonises the mortar it will be much tougher. The only problem with lime is it does change the appearance of the mortar over time but with your colour additive it might not be a problem.

The other option which is simpler is to add a plasticiser to the mix, they are available at builders merchants and you just mix it in with the cement. It'll make the mortar crumbly though if you over use it so be sparing.

That or see how your mix survives the winter and ignore everything I just said :)

Tim

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice job, what you could do with the already built dock is to paint it with some 50/50 Water/PVA mix, don't forget underneath as well. This will dry out with a slight sheen but after a while outside will not be noticed. What you will be doing with this mix is to basically waterproof the structure. This will stop it getting damp and thus any ice freezing should not make all your hard work fall apart. The other options will do for new projects.
JonD

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
Nice job, what you could do with the already built dock is to paint it with some 50/50 Water/PVA mix, don't forget underneath as well. This will dry out with a slight sheen but after a while outside will not be noticed. What you will be doing with this mix is to basically waterproof the structure. This will stop it getting damp and thus any ice freezing should not make all your hard work fall apart. The other options will do for new projects.
JonD

Thanks Jon. Yes, I had wondered about diluted PVA but was concerned if would give the structures a gloss finish. I suppose I could try adding talc to matt it down a bit.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Anorak said:
For frost protection there are a couple of options. Firstly you could add some lime to your mix, similar proportions as the portland. It'll take a while for the lime to have an effect but once the lime carbonises the mortar it will be much tougher. The only problem with lime is it does change the appearance of the mortar over time but with your colour additive it might not be a problem.

The other option which is simpler is to add a plasticiser to the mix, they are available at builders merchants and you just mix it in with the cement. It'll make the mortar crumbly though if you over use it so be sparing.

That or see how your mix survives the winter and ignore everything I just said :)

Tim

Thanks for those ideas Tim. I have got some plasticiser left over from when I constructed the lean-to (and that's still standing). Didn't know about adding lime. Might give that a try for future structures.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Nice job Rik. I wonder if you could cast lengths of tubing into the concrete where the fences are going to be that the fences plug in to? You could then remove the fences during the winter/bad weather so that they might last a bit longer, or are easily replaced?

Thanks - yes. I like that idea. I have actually got some square section plastic tubing I could use. Might even try making the railings and posts from plastic as that could be more durable than the wood which seems a bit flimsy.

Rik

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
dunnyrail said:
JonD

Thanks Jon. Yes, I had wondered about diluted PVA but was concerned if would give the structures a gloss finish. I suppose I could try adding talc to matt it down a bit.

Rik

The other option would be to do a second coat to which has been added some dirt (sifted with a flour grader), this would make the structure look instantly old.
JonD

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
I have a further suggestion to waterproof the structure. What about Thompson's Water Seal? I've used it on patios and on my garage wall which was suffering with damp on the inside due to the prevailing weather. It certainly stopped the problem. It is basically a silicon liquid which repels the water. As was said, if it isn't wet ,there is no water to freeze.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
This site is inspiring - I have yet to close both loops on my line, but I really feel inspired about getting some scenery going.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks chaps - plenty of good ideas here. I might try the water seal stuff as I think that sinks in - but must admit the PVA plus gunk idea has some appeal. May give both a try and let you know the outcome.

Thanks for the feedback on the blog. I am actually retiring at the end of next week so hopefully will have just a wee bit more time on my hands to play trains and keep it up to date. Mind you, the missus has presented me with a jobs list as a retiring present, so may have to balance one against the other. I suppose the spare room does need redecorating - last done 28 years ago! I dunno about you, but I find the more I tick things off the top of the list the more seem to appear on the bottom.

Rik

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
It's a well known fact by all retired souls, each job ticked off the list generates at least 5 more all of its own accord. The secret would seem to be, don't have a list.

Best of luck in retirement, best day's work I ever did. Don't forget the last strap on my sign-off.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Argh! If ounly I'd seen this before I had cast my viaduct:rolleyes::bleh:
9fa3ae0c17a34564827b80059448e938.jpg

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
bobg said:
It's a well known fact by all retired souls, each job ticked off the list generates at least 5 more all of its own accord. The secret would seem to be, don't have a list. Best of luck in retirement, best day's work I ever did. Don't forget the last strap on my sign-off.

My 89 yr old mother says retired people should get double-pay on bank holidays ...........

Rik

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
ge_rik said:
My 89 yr old mother says retired people should get double-pay on bank holidays ...........

Rik

I'm with her, except never mind about 'just' bank holidays!:happy: