Blue Glazing for Bachmann Tram

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Blue moon, I saw you standing alone, without a song in your heart....
I did it the hard way.....
The pink glazing just looks so, so well so camp, like something out of Prisicilla - Queen of the Desert....
I tried the printed blue Overhead film and it just would not sit right for me so I unclipped the pink, made a mold from it and cast my own blue glazing....
Traps for new players: the dye is expensive, the resin shrinks lengthwise and the resin is best poured into a warm mold as it will thin it and let any air bubbles escape. I tried polyester resin but went in the end with clear epoxy craft resin used for embedding spiders etc..... Its finished off by running a small propane torch over it to release any air..
I was going to make up a few sets in different colours, cut them up into single windows with a razor saw and glaze each window with a different colour, ie red, green and blue - the cost of the dye nipped that in the bud so I've just gone cobalt blue. hard to show in a pic but it looks good with the resprayed roof done a dirty dark sand colour....
The project is coming along nicely, if slowly.... I may be well into my second retirement before its completed

70d74052a0424a79bcc001522bfbc5ae.jpg
72de7a4401a44f49989796923b9ee33a.jpg
78ececdacafa401db8d0d87021f8d92f.jpg
5d26760fec1a45a9b0af8d99c87c1d77.jpg

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
The gel sheets Ross mentions are also used in disco lighting as coloured filters in front of clear lamps.
:D

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
MR SPOCK said:
The stackable desk tidy trays used in offices are hard perspex and in a range of colors, they are easy sawed and glued, would that work?
They probably would Spock but if you ever need offcuts of different coloured perspex go to a perspex sign place and ask if you can rummage around in the offcuts....

These are made to fit from the mold.....

I'm thinking of selling all the mods to this tram on ebay :clap: go into production making destination boxes, detailed controllers, standard life gards etc etc.... market a conver:Dsion kit ......

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
pugwash said:
The gel sheets Ross mentions are also used in disco lighting as coloured filters in front of clear lamps.
:D
Oh yes Pugwash those where the days....Disco.... there actually was a tram in Melbourne for hire "Disco Tram", don't know what colour the glazing was though....

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Craft shops stock coloured 'gels' usually with the leaded light materials.