Big Boy 4014 in Houston Texas

scstrain

Registered
8 Nov 2019
Houston, Texas
Best answers
The last two days have been the greatest two days of my, "Train Life" ever. Big Boy 4014 thundered into my home town Wend. evening at 5:30 and will leave this morning at 10:30. I have been able to touch, get it's grease on me, feel the heat radiating off it's massive firebox, talk to it's crew, watch it's atomizer blow steam mixed fuel oil into the firebox like a huge blow torch to maintain pressure while sitting on static display, see all the articulating steam joints, have the hair on my neck stand to attention each time they blew it's almost deafening throaty sounding steam whistle while everyone cheered, etc., etc. What a priceless National Treasure of the pinnacle of steam locomotive production.

Thank you Union Pacific, I never thought you could do this but you have.

The only way it could have been better is if my Dad could have been there with me.

P.S. Hello Tac. As you know, I have not been around over the past 6 years. Serious life issues got in the way, but all is good now. Looking forward to getting back into the steam hobby again.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The last two days have been the greatest two days of my, "Train Life" ever. Big Boy 4014 thundered into my home town Wend. evening at 5:30 and will leave this morning at 10:30. I have been able to touch, get it's grease on me, feel the heat radiating off it's massive firebox, talk to it's crew, watch it's atomizer blow steam mixed fuel oil into the firebox like a huge blow torch to maintain pressure while sitting on static display, see all the articulating steam joints, have the hair on my neck stand to attention each time they blew it's almost deafening throaty sounding steam whistle while everyone cheered, etc., etc. What a priceless National Treasure of the pinnacle of steam locomotive production.

Thank you Union Pacific, I never thought you could do this but you have.

The only way it could have been better is if my Dad could have been there with me.

P.S. Hello Tac. As you know, I have not been around over the past 6 years. Serious life issues got in the way, but all is good now. Looking forward to getting back into the steam hobby again.
Luck you to see such a beast - no pictures for us?

scstrain

Registered
8 Nov 2019
Houston, Texas
Best answers
I have to go to work. Will post pictures tonight.

scstrain

Registered
8 Nov 2019
Houston, Texas
Best answers
Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 0
  • bb12.jpg
    bb12.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0
  • bb7.jpg
    bb7.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 0
  • bb11.jpg
    bb11.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 0
  • bb10.jpg
    bb10.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 0
  • bb5.jpg
    bb5.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 0
  • bb3.jpg
    bb3.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 0
  • bb2.jpg
    bb2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
  • bb8.jpg
    bb8.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 0
  • bb6.jpg
    bb6.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the Pictures, the ones with People next to the beast just show the awesome size of the Big Boy. That guy who chalked up,the name on the Smokebox when they built the first one was right on the button with the name. Having stood next to a couple of these beasties, one at St.Lois the other in Denver I can appreciate how Big they truly are. My third one at Wyoming was not quite so easy to get at, but the only one that I could pic side on. Have posted my Pics of those 3 elsewhere in the Forum. USA is calling me............

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Here's a four minute video of #4014 making a lube stop -

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Pay no attention to the caption that mentions oiling - what the maintenance crew are using is a steam-line driven greaser, called an Alumite greaser. They connect up the steam line to a handy steam-cock - all over the frames - and use it to drive a solid stick of grease and powdered aluminium into the bearings - that why you see the operator toggling the actuator valve. It's a bit like a VERY large glue gun, using steam at about 300 psi to operate. Just like with the M1 Garand, you really do NOT want to get any fingers or other appendages in the way of the actuator piston.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
My experiece with the Big Boy, was the one at Kenefick Park in Omaha.... a truely huge beast.
Thing that got me, though, is that alongside, at 90°, is a UP DD40AX diesel that is as equally impressive.
Google street view it on I-80 just after crossing the river as you enter Omaha.

Last edited:

scstrain

Registered
8 Nov 2019
Houston, Texas
Best answers
My experiece with the Big Boy, was the one at Kenefick Park in Omaha.... a truely huge beast.
Thing that got me, though, is that alongside, at 90°, is a UP DD40AX diesel that is as equally impressive.
Google street view it on I-80 just after crossing the river as you enter Omaha.

Yes, but the DD40AX is a sparky not a steamer. :rofl:

Last edited:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Where is the video link?

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
m1 garant.....no need to say more...auwa....I hope one day i will come over and see that magnificent beast with my own eyes.....
But sorry yes, where is the video link?

Best

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo