Best G scale DC power controllers over 12 volt?

BigScaleD

Registered
26 Apr 2023
Preston UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there from NW UK. I run Gauge 1 locos with scratchbuilt 10mm Standard gauge steam and diesel loco outline bodies mounted on Playmobil and Bachmann power bogies and chassis. I have a double track layout, using vintage H and M Clipper 12 volt DC controllers, one for each circuit. Looking to upgrade at reasonable cost higher than 12 volt for more power. Any suggestions please? Are Gaugemaster best? Or are there cheaper alternatives?IMG_6757.JPGIMG_7157.JPGIMG_7152.JPG

I've added some photos to give some idea of the size of my indoor oval layout, with some of my stock. Some use Playmobil bogies to power the tender, others use Bachmann chassis.

Thank you!

David
IMG_7160.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there from NW UK. I run Gauge 1 locos with scratchbuilt 10mm Standard gauge steam and diesel loco outline bodies mounted on Playmobil and Bachmann power bogies and chassis. I have a double track layout, using vintage H and M Clipper 12 volt DC controllers, one for each circuit. Looking to upgrade at reasonable cost higher than 12 volt for more power. Any suggestions please? Are Gaugemaster best? Or are there cheaper alternatives?View attachment 314037View attachment 314036View attachment 314038

I've added some photos to give some idea of the size of my indoor oval layout, with some of my stock. Some use Playmobil bogies to power the tender, others use Bachmann chassis.

Thank you!

David
View attachment 314039
I think you will find the higher output Gaugemaster offerings a good buy. Have had one in the past and a friend used one also before moving to DCC.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there from NW UK. I run Gauge 1 locos with scratchbuilt 10mm Standard gauge steam and diesel loco outline bodies mounted on Playmobil and Bachmann power bogies and chassis. I have a double track layout, using vintage H and M Clipper 12 volt DC controllers, one for each circuit. Looking to upgrade at reasonable cost higher than 12 volt for more power. Any suggestions please? Are Gaugemaster best? Or are there cheaper alternatives?View attachment 314037View attachment 314036View attachment 314038

Thank you!

David
View attachment 314039
Though I am moving away from track power, I can vouch for Gaugemaster, having happily used a pair of second hand LGB10s to control my analogue main line circuits for many years, and of course you also get the additional output, should you wish to power points.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Helmsman - not sure if they're still being made, but they're good :nod::nod:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
To the best of my knowledge the two mentioned are the best cost effective solutions, there maybe be better, but I think they cost significantly more.

Helmsman Main. as you will see Peco have taken over Helmsman.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Peco have taken over the Helmsman brand, but as yet, have not got their act together on the issue of support.

I know a number of people with them, who are not able to get faults dealt with, presently.

I don't have access to schematics, but have been able to repair some problems.

Having cast 'doom and gloom' they are an excellent product.

PhilP

BigScaleD

Registered
26 Apr 2023
Preston UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think you will find the higher output Gaugemaster offerings a good buy. Have had one in the past and a friend used one also before moving to DCC.
Hi. Thanks for your reply, yes I've just invested in a pair of (half price) Gaugemaster LGB10 controllers, I think they must be coming obsolete. The difference is amazing, wished I'd done it years ago.

BigScaleD

Registered
26 Apr 2023
Preston UK
Best answers
Country flag
Though I am moving away from track power, I can vouch for Gaugemaster, having happily used a pair of second hand LGB10s to control my analogue main line circuits for many years, and of course you also get the additional output, should you wish to power points.
Hi. Thanks for your reply, yes I've just invested in a pair of (half price) Gaugemaster LGB10 controllers, I think they must be coming obsolete. The difference is amazing, wished I'd done it years ago.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
To the best of my knowledge the two mentioned are the best cost effective solutions, there maybe be better, but I think they cost significantly more.

Helmsman Main. as you will see Peco have taken over Helmsman.
Ah, that is indeed good news. My Helmsan has performed faultlessly, and Peco don't deal in rubbish.

The Gaugemaster offering had problems in the early days. The big issue in our scale is the over-current device - getting it to react at the right speed, not too quick and not too slow. The standard cut-outs that work on a bi-metallic strip basis are too slow, and while they will protect the loco, they don't act quick enough to protect the electronic components of the controller in the event of a track short through derailment. (Don't ask me how I know ;) )

Nordmij

Registered
12 Apr 2016
SS07PW
Best answers
Country flag
Amazon might have a solution.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-13-11-09-03-18_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-11-09-03-18_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 0