Battery powered Welsh slate mine loco with R/C

R. YOUNG

Registered
22 May 2017
MARYLAND
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Folks-
I'm looking for a battery powered loco with r/c that would fit a Welsh slate mine 45 mm gauge garden railroad. I'm having trouble locating such a loco and would invite any help and/or suggestions. I'm ok with taking a track-powered loco and converting to battery power (never have done this and have ZERO r/c experience, but what the heck....how hard can it be?).
Any ideas?
Robin Young / Forest Hill, MD

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Folks-
I'm looking for a battery powered loco with r/c that would fit a Welsh slate mine 45 mm gauge garden railroad. I'm having trouble locating such a loco and would invite any help and/or suggestions. I'm ok with taking a track-powered loco and converting to battery power (never have done this and have ZERO r/c experience, but what the heck....how hard can it be?).
Any ideas?
Robin Young / Forest Hill, MD
You pretty well have a ready to go with the Piko 25tonner, just take the cab off and remove some obvious US bits and it would be fine. Give you a start at bashing as well.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure there's a kit around for an FR George England 0-4-0 (the Slater's one is no good as it's only for 32mm track and not convertible).

You can't get much more welsh slate that that!

PDF Models are currently not trading - whether they will get going again remains to be seen.

GRS are still listing a 45mm gauge Quarry Hunslet (without cab - which limits your space for RC)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Check out the suppliers on the 16mm website. There are quite a few gauge adjustable jobs out there

Steve Manners

Registered
2 Nov 2019
Hull
Best answers
Country flag
You pretty well have a ready to go with the Piko 25tonner, just take the cab off and remove some obvious US bits and it would be fine. Give you a start at bashing as well.

Steve Manners

Registered
2 Nov 2019
Hull
Best answers
Country flag
Topslots n trains have a Piko 25 tonner starter set at a bargain price. You could sell the carriage and wagon on or convert them to suit your line. A brilliant way to start. Article review in latest G scale society magazine.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
All reports are that it's a pretty cracking loco - the drawback is that it isn't redolent of welsh slate mines :think::think::think:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Topslots n trains have a Piko 25 tonner starter set at a bargain price. You could sell the carriage and wagon on or convert them to suit your line. A brilliant way to start. Article review in latest G scale society magazine.
Have dealt with Topslots a few times and find their service to be superb.

R. YOUNG

Registered
22 May 2017
MARYLAND
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you all for your prompt replies. There's a lot here to consider so I'll get started.
Regards-

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
While the name Hunslet and steam are synonymous with Welsh slate quarries there were one or two electric (The Eclipse comes to mind) and diesel interlopers. If a mine, rather than a quarry, then possibly not steam. Perhaps one of IP's diminutive offerings might do Diesel & Petrol Loco Kits | IP Engineering. You will need a trailer vehicle if you are doing RC (& sound ?) as well as the batteries.

It's a pity that PDF are presently not operational due to tragic circumstances. There was a wide choice there. Max

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
My IP loco -

08.03.17. - Dotti Skipping Along (2).JPG

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Topslots n trains have a Piko 25 tonner starter set at a bargain price.
Robin is in Maryland, USA, so I doubt the Topslots option will work!

The Piko starter sets are more like $300 here in MD, which is about the same price.
Model Train Starter Sets | Piko #38151 Industrial Starter Set 120V

If you like the little yellow open-cab diesel/petrol loco in the post above, then there is a battery-powered Piko diesel available - just cut down the cab.

Robin, this is the LGB 20140 that we were talking about last year. I think it would fit in a welsh quarry - they often bought Henschel and other EU locos (I think.)

20200131_115520-Riverbend.jpg

Part of the problem, of course, is that a welsh slate mine loco, by definition, is very small, and therefore tough to fit the electronics inside. My Feldbahn in the photo has all the stuff in the trailing gondola, except the speaker.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
that would fit a Welsh slate mine 45 mm gauge garden railroad
Of course, as most Welsh slate mine railways had 2' or 600mm gauge track, you really should be looking at 7/8ths scale locos. These can be considerably larger than ther Feldbahn in my prior pic.

Ah - rfecently I read on FB about some guys converting the LGB Porter to 7/8ths scale. Here's the bofore pic:

LGB_22771.jpg

And here's the 7/8ths scale version:

Untitled-2.jpg

R. YOUNG

Registered
22 May 2017
MARYLAND
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and pics.....makes my mouth water:p
I've sent an email to TopSlots inquiring about pricing, shipping to USA, etc. so we'll see if they reply. But I like the alternatives shown here as well. Also, making a ground level roadbed out of concrete blocks is something I hadn't thought about. I've been flip-flopping (no, I'm not a politician, I make an honest living) from elevated to ground level back to elevated but I think ground level has won.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
PDF Models are currently not trading - whether they will get going again remains to be seen.
GRS are still listing a 45mm gauge Quarry Hunslet (without cab - which limits your space for RC)
Those were my thoughts exactly
My GRS Hunslet has a cab but I did manage to squeeze three 18650 cells (and some lead flashing) into the saddle tank, leaving the cab free.
IMG_9644.JPG

My Hunlest is mounted on an LGB Otto Toytrain 0-4-0 motor block so runs reliably and smoothly

PDF Models kits are extremely well engineered but, with the untimely and tragic death of its owner it's uncertain as to whether it will continue to trade. Peter Farley is a great loss to the hobby.

Rik

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I've sent an email to TopSlots inquiring about pricing, shipping to USA, etc. so we'll see if they reply. But I like the alternatives shown here as well. Also, making a ground level roadbed out of concrete blocks is something I hadn't thought about. I've been flip-flopping (no, I'm not a politician, I make an honest living) from elevated to ground level back to elevated but I think ground level has won.
Hm my suggestion at your age go for elevated, I am just 73 and appreciate that line I have built started back in 2012 at an elevated level. On the basis that less is more, think please that one through again.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
As Fred says I think you need to find a US supplier, on the basis thatbthere is a US Piko brand that should not be too difficult. Though the US Garden railway magazine has demised a copy of Model Railroader will show plenty of adds for US G scale suppliers including Piko ones.