Bachmann Thomas & Percy

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Gavin Sowry said:
PaulRhB said:
Here are some pictures of the stock, the wagons wheelbase is 126mm which works out at 1/24th if these are 10ft wheelbase wagons. If you take these as scale then Thomas & Co seem to have gone Japanese as it works out at 3ft 6inch gauge!

Japanese indeed!.... Every self respecting modeller knows that the 'home' of 3'6" is NEW ZEALAND. .....and, Thomas, Annie, and Clarabel are right at home (as of today) on the Taita Gorge Railway. For the Grandkids, dear...

I dont know about that, Queensland, Tasmania, South Australia, Northern Territory and Western Australia.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
corgi said:
Gavin Sowry said:
PaulRhB said:
Here are some pictures of the stock, the wagons wheelbase is 126mm which works out at 1/24th if these are 10ft wheelbase wagons. If you take these as scale then Thomas & Co seem to have gone Japanese as it works out at 3ft 6inch gauge!

Japanese indeed!.... Every self respecting modeller knows that the 'home' of 3'6" is NEW ZEALAND. .....and, Thomas, Annie, and Clarabel are right at home (as of today) on the Taita Gorge Railway. For the Grandkids, dear...

I dont know about that, Queensland, Tasmania, South Australia, Northern Territory and Western Australia.

OK Ron, since it's getting close to ANZAC day, I'll accept those branchlines too. Anyhow, here's the Reverend's way of railways, the way they should be.

2010_03260011.jpg

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Well you try not to offend the Colonies by saying they are the Isle of Sodor and they are revolting :happy:

Popped over to GRS yesterday and this might be of interest to anyone thinking of converting Thomas. Just needs the boiler band filing down where the sadlle of the dome sits.

328849375d8c45dca97885e15c688469.jpg

4919f866fb62476fa88bb236cf1e3d03.jpg

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Casey's mate said:
steve parberry said:
Has anyone put these along side the old lionel versions for size comparison as Percy would like to come and work along side Thomas and James.

Thatle be a yes then!!:rofl:

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
we have a bachmann Thomas. we love him. But anyone notice he is a contender for the G scale speed record!!??!? I have a c. 20m straight, and he's like the flying scotsman! And his polarity is the other way round than all my other engines?!

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway said:
we have a bachmann Thomas. we love him. But anyone notice he is a contender for the G scale speed record!!??!? I have a c. 20m straight, and he's like the flying scotsman! And his polarity is the other way round than all my other engines?!

The Bachmann ones are 12v rather than 22v so if you are using a LGB controller yes he'll go like a scalded cat. Bachmann wire them to the US large scale standard, their spectrum range have a polarity reverse switch for this, I haven't had a look on Thomas though.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello,

I've had my railway up and running for only the second time this year, the first time was yesterday!

I've been sorting out Thomas to run on my automatic control system.

Just one picky:

e386f35a30554eecb1acec915d5b29ca.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Serrious question about the wagons and coaches. Has anyone looked at these and thought Gauge 3? I reckon the size is not far out. Could someone post some overall measurements I.E. Height length and Width of an Open wagon and a Coach please?
JonD

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
Serrious question about the wagons and coaches. Has anyone looked at these and thought Gauge 3? I reckon the size is not far out. Could someone post some overall measurements I.E. Height length and Width of an Open wagon and a Coach please?
JonD

When I picked up Percy this was the first thing that crosseed my mind, these are BIG items, Percy is a 1/22.5 scale model of a standard guage engine but is running on narrow gauge track, everything from the wheels up is right on for gauge 3, the only thing that would need changing being the drive mechanism, either by complete replacement or possibly by widening the wheelbase but I dont see how that could be done without replacing the axles. To go from 1 3/4" gauge to 2 1/2" gauge means adding 3/8" to each side, there definetly is room under to do this

StephH

7/8ths and 1/12th modeling in Railways and Birdwat
24 Oct 2009
Derbyshire
gardenrailway.webs.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just a quick question, has anyone looked at changing the rather toy like side rods and cylinder arrangement on Percy to make it look more prototypical? I keep looking at the chassis with a view to using it in 7/8ths......

ATB

Steph'

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
StephH said:
Just a quick question, has anyone looked at changing the rather toy like side rods and cylinder arrangement on Percy to make it look more prototypical? I keep looking at the chassis with a view to using it in 7/8ths......

Now that's a sneaky idea to suggest with this months Garden Rail by the computer!
Here you go Steph
Siderods shoud be easy to change as just a hex nut and you can remove the motion bracket easily too.
37344fc6c00047ceb8f2e6b273aaf082.jpg

b869fbc9a85744fa9dc96ad215c5e612.jpg

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Bosleyman said:
A bit more info........ Having bought a Thomas/Annabel etc at the weekend.... no extra info in the box other than details on changing couplings and a spare diagram....... contacted Bachmann about the voltage issue........they say that although he set is supplied with 12V transformer the motor is rated up to 24V!

yeah but try running ol' tommy or percy on 24V, they' ll be be moving faster than a NASA rocket sled with a terrified astronaut trainie inside!

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
:impatient: Thomas, you have been a bad engine. Go t'shed, and do not show your face.

8ec211e8cb694909a8fba13d5f1ce280.jpg

StephH

7/8ths and 1/12th modeling in Railways and Birdwat
24 Oct 2009
Derbyshire
gardenrailway.webs.com
Best answers
Country flag
PaulRhB said:
StephH said:

Now that's a sneaky idea to suggest with this months Garden Rail by the computer!
Here you go Steph
Siderods shoud be easy to change as just a hex nut and you can remove the motion bracket easily too.
images

images

Nice thanks for that....looks like it might be a good one for conversion............. So does Thomas tho', I keep seeing the idea Mike Mott had on the Gn15 Gnatterbox for a conversion of the OO version to a baguley (starts about halfway down this page....http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.ph...storder=asc&highlight=baguley+thomas&start=25 < Link To http://forum.gn15.info/vi...ey+thomas&start=25 or http://tome.gn15.info/ for the GN1...7 supplement.......). Cheers Steph'

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Thomas doing what Thomas does... losing half his train.
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid397.photobucket.com/albums/pp52/steamnut1917/new%20AV/P1010002.flv">

http://vid397.photobucket.com/albums/pp52/steamnut1917/new AV/P1010002.flv

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Anyone have the same problem I'm having with Annie and Clarabel... they won't go through an R1 crossover (more to the point, into a paralell siding).

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
We haven't had that problem on the CFR. We have run a rake of six through LGB R1 points, no derailments in either direction. We have had problems with both carriages and trucks uncoupling at various points on the CFR.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Just found this pic on the Glendale Junction website (they invite people to use it). Someone has removed the face from a Bachmann Thomas, fitted a proper smoke box door, a few other bits and bobs and given it a re-paint.

Et voila .............

e8f7c409e86a4e90941716554c6ba5e4.jpg

The con rods could do with toning down, but it's a cheap way of getting a nice little Jinty IMO.