Bachmann Thomas Decoder Problems

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, I would write them, and also there is some mystery, I'm going to pursue this on the Bachmann forum and the SoundTraxx forum.

Post here if you learn anything, and I will to. Something is rotten here...

(I just posted on the SoundTraxx forum that moved from yahoo to groups.io)

Greg

Last edited:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Emailing some company's to see if they can program a massoth card with Thomas sounds .

I fear that may involve some expensive copyright issues. I'd be interested to learn if you have any success.

Reactions: 1 user

KatanaPilot

Registered
26 Nov 2019
Boston
Best answers
I'm experiencing the exact same issue as everyone here -
-Brand new Bachmann DCC equipped Thomas
-It does mostly fine by itself on straights, but frequently stutters to a stop on R1 curves.
-Once it stutters to a stop, I had to return the throttle to zero. It then stutters/shakes more, with wheels turning but engine not moving, for a few seconds. After it finishes stuttering, then I could re-apply the throttle.
=> does yours all do this as well?

-with any load, it does much worse. It basically couldn't pull Annie and Clarabel around the oval. It just has no pulling power
-I have some brand new, spotless track I recently purchased. It did better on those, but still stuttered a couple of times
-I have been wiping wheels down once or twice each running session, but no help

Has anyone successfully fitted a power buffer? Greg?
I might end up fitting a Massoth decoder to drive the motors, and let the Soundtraxx handle the sound and whistle. But I need to know if I just have a particularly weak motor.
How many cars can your Thomas pull?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I used to have one of these. Some of the problem on R1 curves is the long wheelbase and large wheels on this 0-6-0 model. You could hear it grinding on R1 curves even though (IIRC) the middle axle was flangeless so the amount of friction quite high which affected pulling power dramatically. Add to that Annie and Clarabelle coaches which are long wheelbase 2 axle coaches with fixed axles its a wonder it moves at all. It worked much better on R2 curves.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
We used to run Thomas on the Christmas layouts.. We always had a Stainz on the rear of the train, as a banker! - This was analogue.

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Not mean to bump an old thread or change the subject slightly.

But I'm thinking of getting one of these sound cards, and was going to install it into a troublesome truck/Van or sorts, and just change the CV when behind a different engine. (similar to those LGB sound boxcars)
Will the concept work or does the decoder need to be connected to a motor for feedback to function properly?

I am keen to know if the Keep-alive cap is possible as the lack of one for reliable operation is what's putting me off from buying one.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg

I did try the switch in both positions and it made no difference. I have checked the powercap on a massoth decoder and it works fine. I added a light to the soundtraxx decoder today as you suggest and left the train on the track for 2 mins light was on as soon as I lifted the train of the track light went out. Tried it with switch in both positions made no difference. Also tried it by just having the whistle blowing same again lifted it of the track and it stopped. I have a Percy fitted with a massoth decoder and I don't have any of these problems. I feel like writing to them and showing them how badly their decoders work as it is a very poor product and I don't feel its fit for purpose because unless your track is like brand new it stutterers and just keeps stopping and just does not run. Just a shame this is aimed for children and it causes so much stress to get the thing to run. The whole having to bring throttle to zero before it will work again is a real joke and its not a cheap decoder at £100 for a pcb which does not even come with any wires soldered on it or a speaker unlike other brands

Emailing some company's to see if they can program a massoth card with Thomas sounds so I can take the soundtraxx decoders out and post them back to them.
My solution to this problem with the poor Soundtraxx/Bachmann Thomas decoders was to install a Massoth M or L decoder and connect the motor to this one along with the power caps. I split the track input connection between the Massoth and the Soundtraxx so that the Soundtraxx is still used for sound and Thomas's distinctive whistle (installed a switch for programming purposes). The BEMF needs to be disabled on the Soundtraxx/Bachmann decoder in order to enable the chuff without the motor connected to it. CV217=0

Overall this has worked really well and greatly improved the driving performance. I dont get any more stalls where you have to reset the speed on the throttle. Sometimes the sound will drop out on dirty track or switches but it returns quickly. It doesnt have a buffer, but it cures the weird motor control. I've done this in both Thomas and Percy.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I do not know if this will help. I put the Bachman Thomas decoder in my LGB stainz and it would not function at all on my DCC system. My system outputs 24 volts to the track (30 volt 20 amp power supply). I found that when I lowered my track voltage down to 21 volts the decoder worked perfectly on DCC. I also have the manual and can select 1 of 7 different engine sounds.