Bachmann Mogul 2 6 0 Midwest Quarry Loco

marshman

Registered
9 Feb 2010
north norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Have been running one of these little locos for over 4 years now. It is a faultless little loco as long as you run a short train. It has to pull up a long grade from the bottom to top of the garden through 3 sets of points & never has a problem with them. Originally I had Lgb & Aristo R1 points & it was fine with both, Now i have Trainline & Piko R3 points & it has no problems with those.I have left it running while i go in & have a meal, get distracted & go back out well over an hour later & it will still be running fine. Should be a good buy.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's probably all been said before, but the 'Indie' mogul is a pretty, nicely proportioned loco, if a trifle small.

I'm sure I once saw a photo of a prototype 2 footer that was identical, which could account for its size, and seeing that some of the Bachmann 20ft wagons are based on 2 ft lines, it might make sense.

Out of the box it was a renowned lightweight - not sure if Mr B intends to do anything about that with the re-release, but the easiest thing to do is to load it up with lead shot set in epoxy resin anywhere you can find a gap. Anything over 2 kgs means it'll pull a train.

Rods are metal; sound is all hiss and no bark.

Runs a treat with very low current draw, hence a dim headlamp.

decf37ffd5d94b46b382b80174289f25.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Well,my loco arrived a couple of days ago.I have tested it,and its all ok.I was correct,that the "Exhaust pipe" in front of the cab,was snapped...See picture at top.These pipes go much higher,and curl at the end,like a walking stick.I`ll endeavour to make my own,being as ...having enquired at Bachmann,the bit in question is not avaliable.
Liittle things i know,but i`m paranoid abut missing bits !!! Not really the hobby to be into with that attitude i know.

Thanks again

Ade.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Replaced and or added them several times in H0e with wire, good suggestion! The wire will not break either.

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
50152f251b20457ab76d8d8caf590771.jpg

I have managed to fix the pipe to quite a satisfactory standard.,compared to pics of how it looks originally.These pipes were quite tall.I tried using a bit of metal guitar string,...Thanks for piano wire idea.In the end,i went with a bit of plastic tubing,similer in circumference,Found on Bachmann Knuckle couplers....The bit that "Spring loads" them.Cut that off the coupler,stuck it to my broken pipe,having curled the end,and with a bit of super glue,and silicone sealant over the join,it looks pretty good.Just got to put a touch of Matt black paint over the join now.Picture`s not great quality,but you can see the job.Thanks for the info on weighing the loco down,as well.Very useful.

Cheers

Ade

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I know this an old thread, but it seems to have a link about adding weight to a Bachmann mogul, however the link no longer works - anybody help!
Ah, didn't realise the article had disappeared.

So, from memory, the easiest way is what you have previously done with lead shot and resin (NOT PVA :lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:)

And you have to search out every available orifice.

Boiler domes
Cylinder covers
Chassis base plate (you have to make suitable partitions)

And you might be able to squeeze a couple of strips of roofing lead in the boiler

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
In a conversion to battery I described in the forum some years ago, but which I don’t seem to be able to link to (“Bachman Indy 2-6-0 Conversion to Battery and R/C”), I described the result of adding fishing weights in the boiler domes and 8 AAA batteries in the boiler. The increased weight gives what I think is a decent performance.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Attached video shows mine pulling 4 tourist wagons which are quite heavy starting at about 1:00. At 1:35 my 2-6-0 makes are start on a slight uphill grade and damp track with just a little wheel spin. This loco has got lead shot in the boiler and I think she pulls all she should be able to pull for her size.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Be careful with the tender to loco wires - they have a habit of breaking off! Its not a bad loco and I paid (I think) about £75 brand new a year or two back.

Mick
In reply to this specific point, I have, as recommended elsewhere, put blobs of hot glue where the wires go into the little plugs. More generally, I bought one of the locos a few years ago because I liked its looks, but sold it on because it wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding. Might have been an early version; were they upgraded at some point?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
In reply to this specific point, I have, as recommended elsewhere, put blobs of hot glue where the wires go into the little plugs. More generally, I bought one of the locos a few years ago because I liked its looks, but sold it on because it wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding. Might have been an early version; were they upgraded at some point?

I wouldn't know if they were upgraded - but I know it didn't like going up grades! All the wires have long since broken off and it needs a rewire! But it is a nice looking loco and it is on my Round Tu-it list!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not really upgraded - that was always the issue, an attractive loco with no weight. It doesn't take a lot to get some weight tucked away in various places and the result is well worth it :nod::nod::nod:

DSCF0005.JPG

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I`ve had one of these for ages and in all honesty never use it,I think the last time was about 18 months ago!!when I got it a few added pipes and extra bits to customise the loco,the plain black was relettered and some new coal in the tender,I used the engineer figure in my Otto bash,the plan was to build a new bigger cab and weather it to match the Bachmann weathered gondolas it pulled with the bashed L`ll Hauler caboose on the end,Alas it went away in the box never to be finished,I never intended it to pull much so no extra weight added as it did`nt need it,must say though really smooth runner and like the yellow glow headlight,reading this has inspired me to get it out the box and have another look,must say not impressed with the sound in it and now I have the cheapy Chinese gondolas which being lightweight cars will go behind it well,,,,,,and as a footnote,thanks for the tip on the wiring as was not aware of the potential problems;);)another winter project me thinks.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I`ve had one of these for ages and in all honesty never use it,I think the last time was about 18 months ago!!when I got it a few added pipes and extra bits to customise the loco,the plain black was relettered and some new coal in the tender,I used the engineer figure in my Otto bash,the plan was to build a new bigger cab and weather it to match the Bachmann weathered gondolas it pulled with the bashed L`ll Hauler caboose on the end,Alas it went away in the box never to be finished,I never intended it to pull much so no extra weight added as it did`nt need it,must say though really smooth runner and like the yellow glow headlight,reading this has inspired me to get it out the box and have another look,must say not impressed with the sound in it and now I have the cheapy Chinese gondolas which being lightweight cars will go behind it well,,,,,,and as a footnote,thanks for the tip on the wiring as was not aware of the potential problems;);)another winter project me thinks.
Because it's a small loco, I never disconnected the tender - you can pick it up loco in one hand and tender in the other.

Funnily enough, it was my LGB shorty (long since sold) where the tender connector let rip, and since then I've always been a bit careful.

As you know, my big 2-8-0s all have drive-in transport boxes, so that again, I don't disconnect the tender in day-to-day use :nod::nod:

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Because it's a small loco, I never disconnected the tender - you can pick it up loco in one hand and tender in the other.

Funnily enough, it was my LGB shorty (long since sold) where the tender connector let rip, and since then I've always been a bit careful.

As you know, my big 2-8-0s all have drive-in transport boxes, so that again, I don't disconnect the tender in day-to-day use :nod::nod:
Yes a good idea keeping it coupled up,not sure though if the little beastie will sit in the polystyrene "box" as a joined unit,will have to look next time out of the box and for a small loco it`s a BIG box.;)

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes a good idea keeping it coupled up,not sure though if the little beastie will sit in the polystyrene "box" as a joined unit,will have to look next time out of the box and for a small loco it`s a BIG box.;)
Definitely have to disconnect the tender to get it in the box, or modify the box, mine stays out the box with the tender permanently coupled after the wires to the plug broke!

Reactions: 1 users

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jimmy,point taken and thanks for the info,;);)