Bachmann annie speaker

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
It looks like the speaker in my annie has finally given up.

May I ask for suggestions on a good improvement? I appreciate the real improvement would be to change the soundcard but that is not an option at the moment. It may be the case that an uprated speaker will make no difference, but I wanted to check first!

Thanks in advance.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
get a Visiton of the size and price you can afford, the bigger the better. Maybe $15 here in the USA

If you have a link of the supplier there in the UK, I can browse the site and make some recommendations. The sites here have the frequency response charts, so buy the best frequency response you can get within your budget.

Greg

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Greg. I know the size is 75mm or 3" diameter, but its the other numbers I am not sure on. Currently installed is a 8ohm 5w. I am not sure if I can increase the ohm or the wattage, or if I need to decrease, or increase one and not the other - ie 4ohm 10w! I am not sure if the sound system could handle it.

Visaton appear to make alot of speakers. A full list is here - FRS 8 M - 8 Ohm | Visaton Thank you for your guidance!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Stick with the same 8 Ohm speaker.

One of the best sound improvements that you can make is to enclose the speaker in some sort of casing - spray can tops are favourite if the right size. If you can get the speaker set back up the tube a little way, even better.

You will be surprised at the effect this has, even on a standard Bachmann speaker :):)

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you. Stick with 5W also? May I ask if you can suggest where to get them from in the UK?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you. Stick with 5W also? May I ask if you can suggest where to get them from in the UK?
Fosworks is probably the most straightforward.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Fosworks is probably the most straightforward.
Yes I concur, they do a very good sealed one SND-600, it is a long scroll down on their site but at £7 I have been happy with the two I have.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have an older Annie and bought a new Visatron FRS 7W, (couldn't get a 3") however on comparing the two, I found very little difference (though I am somewhat deaf), and in the end stuck with the Bachmann speaker.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I use FRS 7 a lot, they fit the standard cutout in many of my US profile locos. If you can fit an FRS 8 (and yes put an airtight enclosure across the back side, you will hear a world of difference.

(of course a new sound card will make even more difference, but even with the stock unit you can hear "more" sound) The chuff should be deeper, a bit more realistic with more bass.

frs7_unboxed.JPG

glued_in.JPG

DSC00156.JPG

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
For my Zimo decoders I now use the Visiton FRS7 4 watt, and the FRS8 4 ohm. One must check decoder specs and I realized the Zimo large scale decoders are spec'd for 10 watts audio into a 4 ohm speaker. The MX645 is 3 watts into 4 ohm.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I appreciate the real improvement would be to change the soundcard but that is not an option at the moment. It may be the case that an uprated speaker will make no difference, but I wanted to check first!
After you've checked it, there are a couple of easy mods to the Bachmann sound card detailed on George Schreyer's Tips page.
Bachmann Sound Tips

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah - I'd always understood that you should stick to the original ohms rating - Greg can tell you why, but my simple understanding was that it's the compatibility of the components :nod::nod:

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah - I'd always understood that you should stick to the original ohms rating - Greg can tell you why, but my simple understanding was that it's the compatibility of the components :nod::nod:
if the original speaker was 8 ohm then that is what you should stick to. If you change to a 4 ohm speaker it will draw more current from the amplifier and you will risk blowing it.

The following are extracts taken from our instructions regarding speakers:

The resonant frequency should ideally be below 350 Hz but certainly below 500 Hz. The lower the resonant frequency, the deeper the steam chuff, whistle, etc.

Use the largest diameter which you can fit in your loco. 50mm is the most popular.

The lowest cost option is to fit speaker from your local consumer electronics store. Typically these come in 27mm or 57mm diameters. Use the largest which you can fit in your loco.

For a better quality sound and more volume, the speaker needs to be baffled. That means that it needs to be built into the front face of an airtight box so that sound is heard only from the front of the speaker and none from the back. The plastic top of a spray paint can is good for making a baffle as shown in the diagram.

A good solution, which ensures high quality sound with lots of deep throbbing bass, is to purchase an 8 ohm impedance external speaker unit for iPod and MP3 music players and remove the two speaker modules, in their enclosures, for use in two locos. These are readily available at consumer electronics stores.

Speakers can be connected to the terminals either way around.

Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Attachments

• PaintTopBaffle.JPG
    PaintTopBaffle.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 0

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
there are a couple of easy mods to the Bachmann sound card detailed on George Schreyer's Tips page.
Bachmann Sound Tips
I should point out that I did all that George suggested, and the chuff was definitely improved, but it still wasn't anything like as good as a modern sound system.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes the OP indicates he realizes that the soundcard is not fancy... he needed to replace the original speaker (it had "given up") and wanted to know if a better speaker would yield an improvement.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I should point out that I did all that George suggested, and the chuff was definitely improved, but it still wasn't anything like as good as a modern sound system.
Yes the OP indicates he realizes that the soundcard is not fancy... he needed to replace the original speaker (it had "given up") and wanted to know if a better speaker would yield an improvement.
Yep, having followed George Schreyer's recommended modifications, and with good, baffled speaker it will give a much improved, and quite acceptable 'chuff' >:)>:)