Bachmann 2-6-6-2 Mallett tank front bogie issue

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Initial testing of one of these after chipping revealed a problem. I can't find mention of it elsewhere on the web so I wonder if I've done something wrong.
The loco wouldn't handle curves, it even stalled on LGB R3.
I soon discovered that the soft plastic pipe representing the single, central, exhaust pipe from front bogie to the smokebox was way too stiff.
After I removed it the loco ran fine. It's not my loco so I'd rather not return it chipped but with a part missing. As far as I can tell the loco has hardly, if ever, been run previously.
At first I thought the pipe may have been affected by the cold weather but this is unlikely as it had been kept in a warm house for a couple of weeks and AFAIK they run fine in cold conditions in their main market, North America.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Neil, there doesn't seem to be any chatter about this when I googled it - but you've probably already been there.

The parts diagram doesn't help with the location of things, but a new part is only $1.10 plus all of the attendant shipping/postage costs. Just wondering whether it had got stiff with age (like many old things :devil::devil: ).

Probably not much help :rolleyes:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is this the one that is 'like a Mallet, but not a Mallet'?

If so, there is a representation of some pipes, down to the bogie, which have to slide up and down.. Have these got jammed / become stiff?
(ignore this if it IS a Mallet!)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Is this the one that is 'like a Mallet, but not a Mallet'?

If so, there is a representation of some pipes, down to the bogie, which have to slide up and down.. Have these got jammed / become stiff?
Bachmann only did the one and yes, although it's a model of a Mallet, the rear bogie pivots as well

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

As Rhino said, the loco is a model of a Mallett but, like LGB's Uintah/Sumpter Valley Mallet, both bogies pivot.
The rear bogie pipes are very different, they don't swing or foul anything.
As the loco is trouble free without the pipe I've resolved to shorten it so that it doesn't enter the smokebox. That end can only be seen from track level and then only if you look carefully. Should I need some Bachmann spares in the future I'll tack a replacement to the order if it's still available.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Strange, I have an old 2-6-6-2 Mallet/Meyer and that pipe is still quite flexible. Are you sure that its reluctance to navigate an R3 wasn't down to the coupler bar not being correctly centered in the front pony truck ? Max

Last edited:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Are you sure that its reluctance to navigate an R3 wasn't down to the coupler bar not being correctly centered in the front pony truck ? Max
To be honest no and as I've now trimmed the tube, removing the vertical portion directly under the smokebox, it's too late to check.
However I'll bear your suggestion in mind should I ever discover the same fault in another loco, thanks.