Non-running Aristocraft G scale 4-6-2 steam locomotive

14Justinian7

Registered
26 Aug 2023
Charlotte, NC
Best answers
Country flag
I have an Aristocraft G scale 4-6-2 Pacific locomotive that is about 30 years old, but has never been run much at all, so the unit is pristine. I also gave a number of Aristo FA-1 Alco locomotives that are the same age.

All of the FA-1 Alcos run just fine on DC power, and I've now converted them all to DCC, and they run very well.

However, I can't say the same for 4-6-2 Pacific steam locomotive. When attempting to run it on DC power, the lights all come on, and when the motor is switched on, I can hear it whirring, but there is no movement from the wheels.

What are the possible causes that the loco won't move, and what can be done to fix them.

Thanks,

Lou Dalessandro

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!

I think you will find you have a split gear, so it rotates on the axle..

Del Par-something? Rings a bell, as a neme for a fix..
But I have been on the Black Dragon Welsh cider, so my brain is fuddled.

Merry Christmas!

PhilP

14Justinian7

Registered
26 Aug 2023
Charlotte, NC
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!

I think you will find you have a split gear, so it rotates on the axle..

Del Par-something? Rings a bell, as a neme for a fix..
But I have been on the Black Dragon Welsh cider, so my brain is fuddled.

Merry Christmas!

PhilP
I'm sorry...I'm a newbie at this, so I'm not clear as to what you are saying. Can you explain again?

Merry Christmas to you as well!

Lou

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sorry...I'm a newbie at this, so I'm not clear as to what you are saying. Can you explain again?

Merry Christmas to you as well!

Lou
One of the gears that transfer the motor spindleto the axle has probably broken, ie either split in half or stripped some gears. You will need to open up the loco and look at the gear box. Hopefully the fault will be evident

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As Paul has said:
The axles will have a knurled centre section, with a plastics gear and boss pushed on..
The tolerances were a little tight, and as the plastic ages, the forces cause the boss and gear to split along the length of the axle.
The gear no longer grips the axle, and will rotate on the axle under load. It then wears the plastics away, even more..

Some have glued the gear, wrapping the boss in fishing-line (or similar) but this is not always successful.

I am sure one of ours members from your side of the pond will be able to suggest a source of gear, or perhaps a replacement axle with gear already fitted?

You will need to take the loco apart, and a little reading on the Forums will prepare you for this.
Take lots of pictures, to show now the rods and motion should line up, for when you come to re-assemble the loco.

Good luck.
PhilP.

14Justinian7

Registered
26 Aug 2023
Charlotte, NC
Best answers
Country flag
As Paul has said:
The axles will have a knurled centre section, with a plastics gear and boss pushed on..
The tolerances we
re a little tight, and as the plastic ages, the forces cause the boss and gear to split along the length of the axle.
The gear no longer grips the axle, and will rotate on the axle under load. It then wears the plastics away, even more..

Some have glued the gear, wrapping the boss in fishing-line (or similar) but this is not always successful.

I am sure one of ours members from your side of the pond will be able to suggest a source of gear, or perhaps a replacement axle with gear already fitted?

You will need to take the loco apart, and a little reading on the Forums will prepare you for this.
Take lots of pictures, to show now the rods and motion should line up, for when you come to re-assemble the loco.

Good luck.
PhilP.
Thanks to both Paul M and PhilP!

Lou