AutoCAD track planning drawings

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Having tried free track planning software and found it frustrating, not being as accurate as I would like or having all the makes of track available, and having professional CAD software at work, I've started to draw CAD blocks for track sections of all available brass Code 332 track. So far I've just draw all the curves from the 9 makes I can think of, if you can think of anymore let me know. I've attached a pic of the curves. Curves.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Steve, looks quite comprehensive, take a look at this, it has all the track types for all G Scale suppliers:

Trax Editor

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Jimmy thanks, but having used CAD for work for 25 years I just find Trax, Anyrail and other similar programmes really annoying. They can produce pretty pictures but not great to construct from in larger scales or modify items.

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
How do we use these images Steve?

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
When I've competed them I'm happy to share for anyone for personal use. They will be DWG drawing blocks so if you have any CAD software that can accept DWG files they can be inserted. The radius is to the centre line, the solid lines being inner face of rail and outer face of sleepers. Basically you just need to rotate so that the end dashed lines of each track segment line up. I think even a lot of the cheaper CAD software packages can use DWG files or DXF which I could save them as.
If you don't use CAD I can provide a scaled PDF that you could trace off if that is any use. I've not shown the centre points of the circles but could should these if people would like a template to trace off.

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
I've not shown the tag labels I've put on each section so that you can tell what it is after insertion into the track plan.

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
I will do straights next which should not take long. After that I will do points and crossings which are a lot more complicated and I may need help with dimensions.

modzuki

Registered
18 Jan 2021
Alliston Ontario Canada
Best answers
When I've competed them I'm happy to share for anyone for personal use. They will be DWG drawing blocks so if you have any CAD software that can accept DWG files they can be inserted. The radius is to the centre line, the solid lines being inner face of rail and outer face of sleepers. Basically you just need to rotate so that the end dashed lines of each track segment line up. I think even a lot of the cheaper CAD software packages can use DWG files or DXF which I could save them as.
If you don't use CAD I can provide a scaled PDF that you could trace off if that is any use. I've not shown the centre points of the circles but could should these if people would like a template to trace off.
Hi Steve... I am an autocad user.. Just got into G scale and bought a bunch of LGB and Aristo track.. I was wondering if I could snag your cad files for the track pieces?.. would be a great help.. Many thanks- Dave daveyates80@hotmail.com

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Track planning on AutoCad would be very quick and efficient - provided you have the software and know how to use it that is.
I used AutoCad and Revit up until I retried a year ago...........crikey 30 years - after the drawing board was consigned to the scrap heap.

I don't bother using it for track layouts personnaly though.....

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Steve... I am an autocad user.. Just got into G scale and bought a bunch of LGB and Aristo track.. I was wondering if I could snag your cad files for the track pieces?.. would be a great help.. Many thanks- Dave daveyates80@hotmail.com
Hi Dave, I've done all the point but have all curves and straights which I can email over. Do you use the latest version or do I need to back save in an old format?
Steve

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
I've got a steeply sloping garden, and a lot of my track was bought used or in job lots so I've been using CAD to see what I can fit in and to work out gradients. Being obsessed with detail I paid to get a professional survey of the garden and I got on a DWG file and I can use my track block inserted into that. I've also made blocks of several GRP pond liners, sheds, etc, so that I can try them in different places to see which fits best where.

Last edited:

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
I appreciate you have mentioned free software, however though basic I found TRAX quite usable:

TRAX Home
I've tried the track planning software and being a professional CAD user I find them really frustrating not having all the features I want but if you are not they are a reasonable way to start, similar to using the old LGB hand stencil but on the computer.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
Do a block count and your shopping list is ready.

(Autocad 25+ years hence right hand/arm issues) so since 2016 only limited hobby use with CMS Intellicad at home.

Reactions: 1 user

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
I've emailed them to you let me know if they have arrived.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I use XtrkCad which is a freeware track planning system based on opensource CAD system. You can design your own track pieces but there is a library of just about every scale and manufacturer of track. It handles G-scale very well. You can add other things like buildings, trees, etc, and it handles grades, layers and flexitrack. There is now a Mac version but I have no Mac knowledge so couldn't say how good the implementation is. The XTrackCAD Wiki: Welcome to XTrackCAD
Here is my current layout;
Untitled.png