Aster loco production list

Hairypeas

Registered
13 Aug 2019
Derby
Best answers
Country flag
Is there a definitive list anywhere of Aster loco kit/RTR production dates in gauge 1?

I am currently looking at the market for an aster but not sure which model as yet. I would like to be armed with the above information if/when I take the plunge.

Thanks

Carl

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Andrew Pullen - Aster Hobbies UK | The UK's importer, distributor and retailer of Guage One Live Steam models

Geoff Calver - Rushford Barn

Almost a hundred years of Aster between them.

Jim at Southern Steam over in the USA seems to have lost his site - temporarily, i hope.

It would help us to help you if you could give us some idea of what nationality locomotive you are interest in, bearing in mind that there is a VERY large UK outline following here in UK on British stuff.

Recently Accucraft here in UK have been producing an excellent range of BR Mk2 passenger cars for not a lot of money - around £250 each - but if your interest lies in Germany the price goes through the roof. Same for pre-grouping British outline coaching stock and especially the Pullman cars at around £1250 - 1500 each. Accucraft/Aster aare also producing a second-chance BR 9F and Black five and 5MT, but most are gone. You need to think about Bowande, too, with the classic A4 streamliners with three correct working cylinders.

Getting into Gauge 1 can be a little daunting, especially if North American trains catch your eye - by the time you've funded your Nickel Plate Berkshire and a short consist of around forty cars, you are well into five figures...

If you get on to either of the fine gentlemen I mentioned, please tell them you've spoken to me - I'm a very happy customer of both of them.

Hairypeas

Registered
13 Aug 2019
Derby
Best answers
Country flag
Its British locos I’m interested in. I currently have 3 gas powered live steam locos but I’m looking to purchase an aster either late this year or early next.

I have been offered an ‘almost new’ London Underground pannier and I particularly like the GWR castle ‘Defiant’ and Standard 5 among others.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
'kay. Talk to either Andrew or Geoff, or find someone who is in the the G1MRA - like me- who can identlfy a likely prospect in the sales and wants.

This is Andrew's current list in pdf form..........http://asterhobbies.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Pre-owned-Asters-10-Aug-1.pdf

This is Geoff's - https://rushfordbarnmodels.co.uk/Models for Sale V2.htm

As you can see, he has an Aster 5MT for £4200 and a Castle for £3950.

The Aster Panniers, in any livery, are noted as racers and need some careful driving to keep them from leaving the track and going into orbit. They are also renowned for breaking their crank axle, leaving you with a shelf ornament while you source a replacement - luckily we have a company who does this. Andrew currently has at least two, and you can buy from him in complete confidence. Chris Arundell is another name to conjure with, over here in Narfk.

Joining the G1MRA ought to be compulsory, but it isn't, more's the pity. Almost 4000 of us all over the world enjoy what must be the very best newsletter and journal of its kind, four times a year. There are meetings all over the country, and numerous exhibitions. Our local Anglia group has a large UK-outline layout, but my German and Canadian stuff will still fit it. Also our Facebook and website is worth a look.

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm all info'd out here. Nothing more I can tell you.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
You can also watch Station Masters Rooms, he gets in lots of Asters and should be listing a huge collection on the 28th of December, might be more Asters than he has listed now. Jim Pitt's Southernsteamtrains website is back up, has some photo issues with pics not always loading, but the list of all the Asters produced is there to read thru. There are ways to tame the Pannier, mostly with some re profiling of the needle valve in the throttle and a decent load to pull. Just the Ticket does the replacement crank axles if you need one. Let us know what you end up buying. Mike