Assigning a loco number for dcc running.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag

I run a doc layout. I've just purchased the above. When set on the track with the power on, it just makes a continuous quite high pitched buzzing noise and the lights come on. I've assigned numbers to other engines without any problem. I didn't want to try to go through the procedure as I was worried about doing damage. Can anybody advise please?

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Further to above, it is described as being an, 'excellent/smooth runner'.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
It sounds like it might not have a DCC decoder fitted Trevor. Try it on Analogue, address 0.

Also check underneath for any stickers. A 'D' means it has a decoder, but a circle of 5 dots suggests it is DCC ready

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I tend to agree, sounds like there is no decoder. Your ebay link is specific to you so we cannot access it to check the listing.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As Gizzy say's:

<had not seen Mark's post..>

It does not have a decoder fitted.. Theory say's it will not harm the loco to run it, but the 'buzzing' is the motor windings vibrating with the DCC track-voltage on them.
Run it on address '0'. - Just select zero as the address on your handset, you do not need to set anything on the loco.
This will confirm it does not have a decoder fitted, and you can then approach the vendor.

PhilP.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks all. I'll check it out. This was also in the blurb.
'This loco is from a single owner collection of mostly LGB items. Where not fitted in the factory with the MTS (digital) system, this has been professionally fitted by Gaugemaster.'

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Hi again. Not checked yet but assuming it is not chipped can I use this decoder? It's the same as the one I put into a Schoema diesel.IMG_20200710_191620.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I'd pop the hood and verify, but all the signs are there's no decoder. You need to chase the seller about that.

LGB database on Champex-Linden says 21950 "wizzy cranks" takes an LGB 55027 which is a 4 amp decoder (the ML-Train is only 2 amps?)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Your 'Whizzy-Cranks' has two motors.. The 2A. decoder would work, but is a little light-weight, and would not survive a stall.. - Better to fit something a little meatier,'

PhilP.

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
The decoder you showed, is from md-electronics. I do have them as well for locos with one motor.
Yesterday I bought 3 drive XL decoders from him, a prgrammer and a sound decoder for one of my trams.

MD-electronics shop website

Peter,3

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
The information sheet with the loco says it has a decoder interface which implies that a decoder has to be fitted. If the advert calls it, ' DCC fitted' would you reasonably assume that it would be ready to run on a digital layout? It looks as if a suitable decoder for a twin-motored engine will be at least another £50 odd pounds. The recommended LGB 55027 comes in at over £70. There are still several other engines from the same collection being offered on eBay with the same wording.

Reactions: 1 user

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
'The original owner ran these models using the LGB handheld controller with the ref code 55016'

This part of the advert to me seems to imply that it had a decoder, unless it was being run on a '0' setting.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Trevor you can also use the 55016 as an analog handset - just makes it a little easier to roam about. I too thought it was solely a DCC job until I read the instructions!!!!!!!

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The information sheet with the loco says it has a decoder interface which implies that a decoder has to be fitted. If the advert calls it, ' DCC fitted' would you reasonably assume that it would be ready to run on a digital layout? It looks as if a suitable decoder for a twin-motored engine will be at least another £50 odd pounds. The recommended LGB 55027 comes in at over £70. There are still several other engines from the same collection being offered on eBay with the same wording.

Having a DCC interface does not imply that a decoder is fitted, just that provision has been made to fit one easily. If it said "DCC Fitted" then that would imply a decoder was installed and from your previous posts it would seem not. Time to talk with them I think and try and work out a solution and possibly think about raising a case with Ebat as the item s not as described.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks all. I'll check it out. This was also in the blurb.
'This loco is from a single owner collection of mostly LGB items. Where not fitted in the factory with the MTS (digital) system, this has been professionally fitted by Gaugemaster.'
In the USA that text means there is a DCC decoder, if not MTS from the factory, then it has a decoder fitted by Gaugemaster.

Not good... I'm betting no decoder in this loco.

Greg

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to all. It runs nicely on analogue. I've sent the seller a polite email setting out the points raised and said that possibly others could misinterpret the description if they purchase one of the other engines similarly described. It will be interesting to read their response.
Thanks again.
Trevor

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You are a nice guy, I probably would have stated that the wording indicates DCC supported, and
1. there is no factory fitted MTS
NOR
2. there is nothing professionally fitted by "Gaugemaster"

because there is no DCC decoder in the loco... period. Please note referencing your description:

"This loco is from a single owner collection of mostly LGB items. Where not fitted in the factory with the MTS (digital) system, this has been professionally fitted by Gaugemaster.'

Honestly I would be po'd

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
My little sloma electric was also described as the same.
No decoder fitted in reality

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Out of interest Mike, did you contact the seller?