Aristocraft 3axle motor blocks

soo4513

Registered
14 Nov 2009
Inverness
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All

Has anyone replaced the motors in aristocraft 3 axle trucks before. My dash9 needs new motor blocks, I’ve not been able to source motor blocks but have acquired some equivalent motors, just need to figure out the best way to remove the gear/drive sleeve from old motor shafts to new motor shafts.

of course could wait and see if Bachmann does spare motor blocks when they reissue the loco or rebuild with sd70 motor blocks

thanks

Colin

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
1. yes
2. yes they are scarce as hen's teeth
3. the hex drive on the end of the shaft must be pressed off, and I think they are pot metal, not strong. You might be able to drive the shaft out of the hex with a small pin punch, supporting the backside of the hex with 2 metal bars close on to the shaft.
4. there is speculation that spare blocks will be available with the dash 9, but no confirmation.
5. SD 70 blocks will track better and tighter curves, more compliant
6. have you looked for the motors by themselves, not the whole block? (just checking)

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Wot Greg say's..

A worry, every time I run one.. :(

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Fortunately, at one time Aristo decided to try to source stainless steel wheels, when they ordered them, they got entire motor blocks, and Aristo sold these for the cost of the wheels, incredible deal.

I bought all I could afford, to last me into retirement. A lucky decision. I would post on the USA forums to see if someone has a spare motor first.

By the way, it is very unusual for these motors to go bad, (except for the batch of counterfeit motors in the GP-40s).

Are you sure the motors are at fault? Not the gearboxes?

Greg

soo4513

Registered
14 Nov 2009
Inverness
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg

Many thanks for the info, yes most definitely the motors. I’ve only stripped one of the trucks but assume the other will be the same. Of course it could be that the gear boxes failed which in turn cooked the motors.

From the two motors from the truck I’ve stripped one was seized and will now turn by hand but not with power applied. The other will rotate with power applied but very weakly

Colin

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Wow, so I would take a look at the gearboxes to see what you really need to replace. I would pull them out and open them.

I recently picked up a spare motor, and got a block with one motor, took a while to find it here.

Also, if you decide to go the USAT route, be sure of the wheel diameter you want, they are all different sizes.

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know how many Aristocraft made, but they certainly seem popular. - Here in the UK, obviously..

I am a little surprised that 3D printed gearbox housings, and assemblies have not appeared for them yet? - At least, I do not know of any..

I too, have wondered if a 'block form USA trains could be made to fit, and an acceptable representation of the side-frames created?

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The gearboxes rarely fail, and if they do, they usually kill the worm gear, not the worm. I have not seen printed nylon gears as tough as injection molded ones.

Yes, many people have swapped Aristo to USAT and vice versa, each "camp" claiming to have improved the situation :)

soo4513

Registered
14 Nov 2009
Inverness
Best answers
Country flag
I’ll check the gear boxes the loco was bought used, very used it was running on the overheads railway in the local market before it stopped working.
Interestingly several of the bulbs are also failed as if it receive an electrical spike.

Colin

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I’ll check the gear boxes the loco was bought used, very used it was running on the overheads railway in the local market before it stopped working.
Interestingly several of the bulbs are also failed as if it receive an electrical spike.

Colin
check the board with the switches.. Sounds like it had a hard-life? - Would not surprise me if there are burnt-out components on that board??

PhilP.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I notice you got some helpful advice also on the Aristocraft web site Colin.. Hope all works out well for you.

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
New blocks will be available next year from Bachmann next year but probably at a silly price!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
New blocks will be available next year from Bachmann next year but probably at a silly price!
So, 2022 then, probably? ;):giggle:

It will be interesting to see what (if any) changes there will be.. Both to the model, and the electronics etc. :nerd::wondering::nerd:

PhilP.

soo4513

Registered
14 Nov 2009
Inverness
Best answers
Country flag
Should be interesting to see what they do with the model and how successful it is for them and perhaps they will rerun the gp40.

Keeping the dash 9 theme I’ve managed to source one motor block and might get a second although might just make the rear truck unpowered

Colin

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Keeping the dash 9 theme I’ve managed to source one motor block and might get a second although might just make the rear truck unpowered
I have also wondered whether, one-way to keep the fleet running, would be to only use one powered bogie (truck)?
This would mean shorter formations, and possibly lighter stock? :think:

PhilP.

Timmo

Registered
25 Apr 2016
Bath
Best answers
Country flag

soo4513

Registered
14 Nov 2009
Inverness
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Tim

I saw that, thanks. I bought the other one from the seller which I’ll use for the front. I’m hoping to rebuild one of the original trucks with new motors. I’m also considering just making the rear truck a dummy as the loco will never pull long trains.
Colin

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Colin, if you are not familiar with the construction and tips "inside" the block, I have a pretty substantial page on teardown, and problem points:

Greg

soo4513

Registered
14 Nov 2009
Inverness
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Greg,

Your website was very helpful for this project, thanks so much for taking the time to put the information on line
Colin