Aristo Shuttle

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hello,

I am (nearly) the proud owner of the above. This will allow me to run end to end whilst my loop is truncated.

Now I could have continued in PM world to get some basics from Mike but I thought if I ask out here in the open it may benefit some one else someday, if making my look like a bananna in the process...

Whilst in the IT industry I have to confess I am an electronics donut. The last time I remember learning about diodes was in school at 13. Mmmmm. I understand I have bought a shuttle unit, a couple of bits of track with diodes fitted? (I think anyway!?)

What is a diode (sorry for the dumb question) and how will it all work. I have a LGB transformer and controller ( thing with a knob that makes trains go) anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Ian

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
A diode is nothing more than an electrical valve, letting the current flow in one direction only. Placed at each end of the layout it stops the train by effectively making a dead section, that becomes live when the current is reversed, allowing the train to proceed to the other end where the same happens again.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Nice and clear I like it. So the train stops dead when it meets that section? and then the unit does the rest? More help please....

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure how that particular unit works, but the units I know of work by simply reversing the current at an adjustable time. so say it was set for 60 secs; for 60 secs the current would be set one way, which would drive the train to the end of the line, where you would have a section with one rail broken and the diode placed across the gap. As the loco passes the gap the diode is not conducting so the train comes to an abrupt halt. Say the train has taken 45 secs to reach that end, it will now sit there for 15 secs until the reversing unit reverses the current, then the train will leave that end and head for the other end where the process takes place again. Some units do incorporate soft start and stop features.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Ahh i understand. I hope it has more than 60 seconds though as it won't get far up my line!

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I think they have a fairly long adjustable time, my gaugemaster one had a few mins at max. I can't find anything online that gives any idea to its timings.

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
I get this "hunch" saying 3 minutes 20 seconds, but that could be another unit :)

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers
hi ian, i bought one of these units a few weeks ago and its wonderfull. on the minimum timing it will stop for about 20sec and as you increase the dial so the time lapse rises.
dont know what the longest delay is as i got sick of waiting for it to kick in,
hope this helps .........allan.

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I have 2 of the Aristo Shuttle Units. on max setting the loco stops for about 5 mins.

The diodes, I bought from Maplins, can't remembere which ones I bought, but if you take the instructions with you, they'll give you the correct ones.

I connected the diodes to the track by crimping the connectors onto the diodes (I'm not the best with a soldering iron) and then connected them throught the isolating rail clamps. I used http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/insulating-clamp-2498-p.asp < Link To these clamps . Make sure that when you connect the diodes to the clamps, they're the same way round.

When you make you first run, stay near the controller, that way you can stop the loco if it doesn't stop when it gets to the isolated section. If this happens, turn the diodes in the opposite directions. and this will sort the problem.

Hope this helps.