Aristo Shuttle Installation Problems - help please.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Well I roped in a friend to clear the tracks after 5 months of non running and to help me to install the shuttle which I aquired recently to run end to end until till i cna reinstate the whole loop- got a broke leg at the moment.

Anyway we got the track cleaned (although not perfect the trains ran well with my normal power supply) and installed the kit.

I bought the kit from a friend on this forum who also supplied the diodes in two track sections. So two questions...

1) I (well Tony - mate under instruction, as I sat about being an invalid!) only managed to get the system to operate at all how I expected with the Bachmann 44 tonner that has the opposite polarity to the rest of the fleet. The direction of travel for a given polarity obviously matters when approaching the diodes. Because I bought the 44 tonner during the time I have not been able to use teh railway through rennovations and injury I didn't realise it has reverse polarity and so made it all even more wierd! Anyway the question is do I have to change the diodes round to get the majority of the fleet working? I may have this all wrong as I am a electrickery dunce.

2) General erratic timing from the unit. The delay would seem quite even then all of sudden with no touch of the adjustment on the unit the would change direction very early. Is it dependent on amps being drawn? I.e. could spots of dirty track cause a stutter and then the unit reverses intererepts the lack of draw as the loco arriving at the diode?

Help please, so keen to see it running smoothly...

PS If it sounds like a faulty unit - I am NOT bothered about having bought it from a centralist recently- thats what second hand means! I'd rather know so I can buy another..

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Just one question ,is it the Aristo one or the LGB one , i thought you had bought the LGB unit if so may be able to help.

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers
hi ,make sure all trackconnections are clean. it sounds as if you are loosing power loss somewhere. use a smaller ampage loco, my system was a bit juddery to start but after a few minutes and tightening up of joints it ran smoothly. hope this helps. allan.

ps. keep the unit in a dry place , humidity &damp affect its use.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
defo the aristo one Steve. Thanks annieshalt, yes I think more track maintainence will help too. Any advice on the ploarity and diode question people?

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers
as long as both diodes face in the same direction it should work fine.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
It definately only works with one loco, which is of different polarity to the rest.... anyone else got some words of wisdom.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway said:
It definately only works with one loco, which is of different polarity to the rest.... anyone else got some words of wisdom.

Turn the diodes about, so they are in the opposite direction, and don't use the 44 tonner....

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
CoggesRailway said:

Have you installed the diodes on the same rail??

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
yes on the same rail indeed. Gizzy! I was thinking that too- would that be logical? I will re wire the 44 tonner anyway to go with the rest of the fleet.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Would changing the motor wires around then they all would run the same way:rolleyes:

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
Turning the diodes around will fix it.
The Bachmann loco should have a polarity switch which swaps between large scale and NMRA standards.

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
simon@mgr said:
Turning the diodes around will fix it.

Thought I'd better test mine, so.............. having turned the diodes round it now works, Wa Haaaaaay!!!

As always this forum provides the answers - even on New Years Eve. :clap:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Ade
I am glad that all is well now. I have just seen this and would have given you same advice. If the amp draw is over 1.9 amps or so the unit will be have erratically as it is only really a 2 amp unit.
Any other probs, give me a message

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Result....

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
And mines working now too. Glad my thread helped another as well!

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
Now we've got them working could anybody come up with a circuit that stops the train with a little more subtlety. My passengers get flung the full length of the carriage - especially if the train has been 'going at a fair lick' :D

The Aristo unit should have a 'soft start' feature so that takes care of setting off gradually (although it could do with being a little 'softer' ;)

I want to install mine on a separate fully automatic end to end line (yet to be built - planning permission pending) with a railcar type of train running back and forth with possibly an intermediate stop and I would like it to move (and stop) as realistically as possible.

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
adeshers said:
Now we've got them working could anybody come up with a circuit that stops the train with a little more subtlety. My passengers get flung the full length of the carriage - especially if the train has been 'going at a fair lick' :D

You can slow your train down graudually by inserting insulated track sections with two diodes, one in each direction, briding the gap - it doesn't matter which rail you break. They must be placed between the "stopping place" diode track, and the power feed position, and this can be done at both ends of the shuttle track.

Each diode pair track reduces the voltage, and you can have several to get a gradual slow down as you reach the station, but add them gradually because if you use too many you can reduce the received voltage too much and stop the train before it reaches its proper stopping point.

This method also provides for a graudual acceleration too, and you must make sure you have not dropped the voltage to a level where the train will not start.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
DoctorM said:
You can slow your train down graudually by inserting insulated track sections with two diodes, one in each direction, briding the gap - it doesn't matter which rail you break. They must be placed between the "stopping place" diode track, and the power feed position, and this can be done at both ends of the shuttle track.

Each diode pair track reduces the voltage, and you can have several to get a gradual slow down as you reach the station, but add them gradually because if you use too many you can reduce the received voltage too much and stop the train before it reaches its proper stopping point.

This method also provides for a graudual acceleration too, and you must make sure you have not dropped the voltage to a level where the train will not start.

Just the ticket Dr M. This will work a treat. Have used that system meself.

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
beavercreek said:
DoctorM said:

Just the ticket Dr M. This will work a treat. Have used that system meself.

What type of diodes would you recommend chaps?