Anyone else used Thomas bigscale coaches?

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Just a heads-up that GRS make pre-curved styrene roof sections (long enough for a bogie coach, cut to length for smaller ones) - they are thick enough to be quite rigid, and you'd have difficulty bending sheet material that thick and getting it to stay in shape, so I think they are worth getting. Don't think that they make one quite as sharply curved as the barrel roof on that brake van, though.....

Jon.

PaulFwalker

PaulFwalker

Registered
8 Aug 2017
UK
Just a heads-up that GRS make pre-curved styrene roof sections (long enough for a bogie coach, cut to length for smaller ones) - they are thick enough to be quite rigid, and you'd have difficulty bending sheet material that thick and getting it to stay in shape, so I think they are worth getting. Don't think that they make one quite as sharply curved as the barrel roof on that brake van, though.....

Jon.
Thanks I will look into that.

Riograndad

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
I have just found and read this thread with interest as the woodgrain effect would be ideal for interior paneling as I do on my passenger cars,some in the pipeline so just might give this a go,thanks for posting,just wish I had seen it earlier!!!

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Very nice transformation

S

Sleeper Agent

Registered
1 Jan 2018
Llanfihangel-Talylyn
Fantastic job on the whole train there! I've a book somewhere showing an old 4-wheel coach refurbished with a raised roof much like your elliptical one, might be able to re-find it if of interest.
Out of curiosity what material did you use for said roof and if it was plasticard was there a particular technique for bending it into shape? Working on a G3 coach with a similar roof line and having a bit of trouble keeping it from flexing out.

Regards
Steve