Anyone else used Thomas bigscale coaches?

PaulFwalker

Registered
8 Aug 2017
UK
Best answers
I have started to build a garden railway using G gauge track but I wanted mainline rather than narrow gauge. I have always loved LNER and GNR engines and when Bachmann brought out their Emily in the Thomas big scale range I had to have one to convert. I also purchased three of Emily's coaches and have enjoyed converting them and painting them to represent the teak coaches used by the East Coast Joint.
I know that they are un-prototypical but they are just for me to enjoy so that's okay.
I have Two questions, Firstly, Has anyone else got pictures of any Thomas bigscale conversions? Secondly The scale of Bachmanns Thomas range equates to the same as Gauge 3 (UK) does anyone know if there is a company who do GNR coach decals in this scale?
DSCF7064.JPG DSCF7079.JPG DSCF7082.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF7083.JPG
    DSCF7083.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 10 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
They look really, really good! :)

Jon.

beachdonkey

Model railways, classic cars, music
14 Sep 2015
bedford
Best answers
Country flag
Ditto:nod:

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Yes superb conversions. Might be worth looking at O or gauge 1 decals for the GNR and either see if larger crests from those will work or if the producer can do a larger scale print now many are printed from pc.
If not custom prints from someone like Cambridge Custom Transfers or Railtec?

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
As GRS do a lot of British outline stuff in Gauge 3 (64mm), have you tried them for suitable decals?

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Oh wow! Nicely done sir....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have started to build a garden railway using G gauge track but I wanted mainline rather than narrow gauge. I have always loved LNER and GNR engines and when Bachmann brought out their Emily in the Thomas big scale range I had to have one to convert. I also purchased three of Emily's coaches and have enjoyed converting them and painting them to represent the teak coaches used by the East Coast Joint.
I know that they are un-prototypical but they are just for me to enjoy so that's okay.
I have Two questions, Firstly, Has anyone else got pictures of any Thomas bigscale conversions? Secondly The scale of Bachmanns Thomas range equates to the same as Gauge 3 (UK) does anyone know if there is a company who do GNR coach decals in this scale?
View attachment 226470 View attachment 226471 View attachment 226472
Do I presume you have created the Teak look by a method of painting that was very much in vogue a few years back called Scumbling? Anyway your methods of creating the Teak finish are very Sound and I would very much like to know how you achieved it please?
JonD

Reactions: 1 users

PaulFwalker

Registered
8 Aug 2017
UK
Best answers
Do I presume you have created the Teak look by a method of painting that was very much in vogue a few years back called Scumbling? Anyway your methods of creating the Teak finish are very Sound and I would very much like to know how you achieved it please?
JonD
Glad you like them. For the teak coaches I used a method that is done in OO and O gauge. First an undercoat of a yellow ochre or Mustard colour. This can look very bright and garish. (I use a matt acrylic spray paint for this). Then I splodge on a load of burnt umber Oil paint (The sort that artists use in a tube) This is thinned using an extender which is a clear Gel type medium which enables the paint to flow better and also makes wonderful wood grain type effects. So I have splodged this on all over the one half of the carriage and then with an old brush I steak the paint in the direction I want the wood grain to go (Because the oils dry slowly it gives me time to adjust and change the grain). any little blobs actually look like knots in the wood. After doing all for sides I then leave overnight to dry. when dry I run a black wash over the whole carriage to pick out the detail. When this is dry I then spray a light coat of silk varnish. It sounds long winded but is very pleasurable to do and because its oil based if it goes wrong it is easy to wipe off and start again. What I have done came from this guy who's post in RMweb explains it in great detail http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/in...ished-teak-improving-latest-hornby-thompsons/

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thats great info thanks
Paul, many thanks for posting your techniques amd the RM Link of your inspiration. I have a wooden Box Motor that I have been struggling to think how to complete Colour wise for a few years now. Think that you have now answered my dilema.
JonD

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
They do look excellent! but I wonder how much better they would look with a cut and shut to about half as long again?

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_0214.PNG IMG_3156.JPG IMG_3153.JPG IMG_2155.JPG IMG_3831.JPG
They do look excellent! but I wonder how much better they would look with a cut and shut to about half as long again?
Excellent coach up grades!
On the Thomas conversions point, I have taken Percy and built a loose replica of a LSWR/SR B4 tank
I've also used the Bachmann Annie chassis to create likenesses of Highland Clan Goods and NER/LNER T1 4-8-0T although in reality it is a 4-6-2T. In construction I have an LNER 04/8 2-8-0 and also plan a second single conversion from Emily into A Midland Spinner
I know none of these are really correct as standard gauge locos running on what approximates to metre gauge track but they are fun to build and take me back to 00 gauge days when I happily built models around old Tri-ang chassis

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have been in correspondance with a guy from the G3 Society about his layout that appeared in the August BRM which I sadly missd seeing before the Sept issue came out. I have seen the article now. I am very tempted to do a small Micro Gauge 3 Layout (as if I did not have enough unfinished projects) as I have been lusting after G3 since GRS started with their Steam Tram and now very many offerings.

I did in fact consider flogging all my G Scale kit to go down thie route when I moved here 4 years ago, but I just could not part myself from my beloved Selktalbahn Railway. So I may be converting Bachman Thomas kit to G3 Track Gauge sometime. I did in fact buy an Open Wagon before I moved to the nits nealy 5 years ago and bought a G3 Chassis in part built format cheepo at GRS second hand bits. So who knows what adventures are ahead, but with G3 Track for me, but I do not deride the excelent efforts seen in this Thread.
JonD

PaulFwalker

Registered
8 Aug 2017
UK
Best answers
You have read my mind and I am about to take an Annie and Clarabel. (the body is the same as the Emily coaches) Remove them from their chassis and splice them together to make a longer coach. I will need bogies and a chassis but I will scratch build those. The two left over 4 wheel chassis will go to make a Horse box and a hound box.

PaulFwalker

Registered
8 Aug 2017
UK
Best answers
View attachment 226673 View attachment 226671 View attachment 226670 View attachment 226669 View attachment 226672
Excellent coach up grades!
On the Thomas conversions point, I have taken Percy and built a loose replica of a LSWR/SR B4 tank
I've also used the Bachmann Annie chassis to create likenesses of Highland Clan Goods and NER/LNER T1 4-8-0T although in reality it is a 4-6-2T. In construction I have an LNER 04/8 2-8-0 and also plan a second single conversion from Emily into A Midland Spinner
I know none of these are really correct as standard gauge locos running on what approximates to metre gauge track but they are fun to build and take me back to 00 gauge days when I happily built models around old Tri-ang chassis
They look fantastic I would be very interested in seeing the Spinner if you get around to doing it. Please post a progress on it if you do.

PaulFwalker

Registered
8 Aug 2017
UK
Best answers
I have been in correspondance with a guy from the G3 Society about his layout that appeared in the August BRM which I sadly missd seeing before the Sept issue came out. I have seen the article now. I am very tempted to do a small Micro Gauge 3 Layout (as if I did not have enough unfinished projects) as I have been lusting after G3 since GRS started with their Steam Tram and now very many offerings.

I did in fact consider flogging all my G Scale kit to go down thie route when I moved here 4 years ago, but I just could not part myself from my beloved Selktalbahn Railway. So I may be converting Bachman Thomas kit to G3 Track Gauge sometime. I did in fact buy an Open Wagon before I moved to the nits nealy 5 years ago and bought a G3 Chassis in part built format cheepo at GRS second hand bits. So who knows what adventures are ahead, but with G3 Track for me, but I do not deride the excelent efforts seen in this Thread.
JonD
It was looking at some G3 conversions that gave me the push to do the Emily conversion but I am afraid I was too twitchy when it came to changing the gauge on her. (Maybe one day) until then I am quite happy being ''gauge dyslexic'' And the whole lot together does give the feeling of mainline so I am okay with it being wrong. The size of gauge 3 is great for scratch building and the Thomas range have enough detail to make it worth the chopping up. Mel at the GRC has done some fantastic conversions of naughty trucks here http://www.gardenrailwayclub.com/ca...gauge-gauge-3-g-64-from-bachmann-thomas-stock

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_3911.JPG Re the horse and hound boxes I enclose a pic of a GN style full brake built upon a Thomas brake van chassis
I will get round to the midland spinner once the O4 is complete
And will post the results etc

Reactions: 3 users

PaulFwalker

Registered
8 Aug 2017
UK
Best answers
View attachment 226853 Re the horse and hound boxes I enclose a pic of a GN style full brake built upon a Thomas brake van chassis
I will get round to the midland spinner once the O4 is complete
And will post the results etc
That looks fantastic. I have been having problems bending the roof on my coaches. What did you use and how did you bend it?

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
That looks fantastic. I have been having problems bending the roof on my coaches. What did you use and how did you bend it?
Thanks . The roof is made from rounded/chamfered architrave (two sections back to back with a timber slither to make out the appropriate width. It was then covered with a very thin sheet of plasticard (glued I think with evostic). It was then trimmed to size and plasticard 'L or U' small section added to form a gutter and conceal the joint to the sides. Clearly the roof plasticard sheeting oversails the ends.
Hope this helps
Chris