Adding a passing loop to the GWRR

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
After the thrill of completing the main circuit and extensive testing, it was clear that a passing loop (siding) was urgently needed to be able to run more than one train.
The original track laying had included the necessary pair of turnouts (turns out?) plus a promise to build the passing loop "later".

Well, later is now here, so it's time to dig the shallow trench alongside the existing main line, extend the underlay, and build some more ladder foundation.

D97435689DE849C0B99FC4FB530833C7.jpg

Surprisingly, I seem to have got the ladder turnout angle about right -

47963F34D6DF4A6791A040F34DC3860C.jpg

Now all I have to do is complete the ladder and add ballast and track.

On a completely unrelated note, the local council has just started delivering mounds of chippings to a nearby layby, ready for this season's road tarring.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
On a completely unrelated note, the local council has just started delivering mounds of chippings to a nearby layby, ready for this season's road tarring

Just the sort of double standards we have come to expect from local goverment one minute they are moaning about fly tipping the next they are the main offenders. As complaining would only fall upon deaf ears i think you are quite within your rights to evoke rule 11b section 44c of the GSC code of conduct (Thy shall not pass by anything that maybe of use in the construction of a railway that maybe a triping hazzard to other members of the public) and take it upon your self to remove in part the offending pile. !! Though be aware of rule 101 regarding elf and safety which covers the transportation of objects over 10mm but below large usefull rock size

Tony

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Tony said:
On a completely unrelated note, the local council has just started delivering mounds of chippings to a nearby layby, ready for this season's road tarring

Just the sort of double standards we have come to expect from local goverment one minute they are moaning about fly tipping the next they are the main offenders. As complaining would only fall upon deaf ears i think you are quite within your rights to evoke rule 11b section 44c of the GSC code of conduct (Thy shall not pass by anything that maybe of use in the construction of a railway that maybe a triping hazzard to other members of the public) and take it upon your self to remove in part the offending pile. !! Though be aware of rule 101 regarding elf and safety which covers the transportation of objects over 10mm but below large usefull rock size

Tony

or you could just pinch some.