A working layout at last - first train runs on the Gzunderbahn.....!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
This week I finally found a big, juicy Round Tuit..... so after five or more years of planning and preparation, I've actually got a working line down in two days! A very good friend and fellow GSS member came over to help me to lay track yesterday and today, and by 5:30 this afternoon we joined up the "Golden Railclamp", temporarily connected some simple analogue power (just a little LGB 1-amp powerpack), put an 0-8-0 "Rugen" Tank on the line with four basic 4-wheel coaches, and the inaugural train ran - perfectly! :clap:

Obviously I still have a LOT left to do, I haven't started on the line up the gradient up to the two raised bed areas (which will hopefully eventually have a couple of concentric loops joined to the main ground-level line by a roughly 3.5% gradient up the blocks that you can see in some of the pics) - but as of tonight the complete ground level loop is up and running! :)
So far I've run the Harz 2-6-2 (6001), the Rugen 0-8-0 and the big 0-6-0 - 0-6-0 DR Mallet on the line (individually of course), and they all run just fine even on the little temporary power supply.
The ground-level part of the line consists of a largish and very irregular loop around the perimeter of the lawn area, bordered by block pavers, plus two station areas - a simple passing loop one near the conservatory, and a more extensive three-track one at the back of the garden under the conifer hedge.
No-one was more surprised than me when everything ran just fine the first time out! We had been very careful with cleaning all track ends (using the Kilroc Gel descaler) and then clamping every join, mostly with Massoth railclamps, with a smidgin of graphite paste in each clamp.
The track-bed is fine white limestone chippings, which are very "sharp" and knit together well, and each point has a slate-effect ceramic tile embedded under its moving parts in an effort to keep the point blades clear of as much of the ballast as possible.
Trackwork is an eclectic mix - LGB, Aristo, Piko and AML, and the pointwork is a similar variety - LGB, Piko and Trainline45. Railclamps mostly Massoth, plus a few split-jaw types (not sure of the make).

Next job is sorting out the permanent power connections (cabling already installed, just not connected yet) and then testing it under DCC with the Massoth Dimax. :)

Here are some photos taken late this afternoon, as the first train ran; sorry there is still some mess around, but that's layout building for you! A lot to tidy up and finish off, but altogether two VERY busy and satisfying days! It was so bright that some of the photos are not great, will take some better ones over the weekend I hope.

First train 1.jpeg

First train 2.jpeg

First train 3.jpeg

First train 4.jpeg

First train 5.jpeg

First train 6.jpeg

First train 7.jpeg

More pics in next post....

Jon.

Reactions: 9 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
More pics.....

First train 8.jpeg

First train 9.jpeg

First train 10.jpeg

First train 11.jpeg

First train 12.jpeg

First train 13.jpeg

First train 14.jpeg

More as things progress further.....

Jon.

Reactions: 9 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice jon, your roundtoit must have been a really good quality one!

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
:clap::clap::clap:

Well done Jon (and helper!)..

Have to ask.. Had a lot of preparation been done previously? Or have you just been re-using 'old' block-paviors?

Oh, and the make of the large blocks making up the retaining walls please?

TIA
PhilP.

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
A great looking loop, Jon. One can tell what the future plans are from the photos (I spy a bridge or two!). Can't wait to see the addition of the stations!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks chaps!
PhilP, to be fair the last two days have been JUST tracklaying - all the civil engineering works were done ages ago, including filling the trackbed with the limestone chippings. So it was all ready to start putting track down, but even so I'm really pleased that we managed to get the whole gound-level section down and running in just the two days!

The walling blocks are a Marshalls product, I got mine via Travis Perkins:
Marshalls Croft Stone Walling Buff 300mm x 170mm x 100mm | Travis Perkins

They are ingeniously shaped concrete blocks that are dry-laid, each block has a rear lip that interlocks with the layer below it, and they are tapered so that they can be laid in straight or curved patterns; not cheap (though the current price is less than I paid a couple of years ago!) and you have to buy them by the pallet of about 90 blocks at a time. A very clever and easy to use product.

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
A great looking loop, Jon. One can tell what the future plans are from the photos (I spy a bridge or two!). Can't wait to see the addition of the stations!

Thanks John! The station buildings will go on the slabbed areas that you can see, but they won't be left out - because we have two crazed Mini Schnauzers (the eight-legged demolition crew) anything that I leave outside will either be wrecked or piddled on (or both - and that's nothing to what the dogs will do to it....) ;)

So all buildings and infrastructure will be placed out for each major running session and then packed away again - a bit of a pain, and I imagine that most times I will just be running the trains without scenery, they will be put out for special sessions, open days etc.
But, I will try to find the time to put them out and take some pics with them in place - they are two handbuilt German models of actual Harz stations, Drei Annen Hohne and Ilfeld, and because they are built to accurate 1:22.5 scale, they are quite massive - they absolutely dwarf things like the somewhat "compressed" Pola and Piko buildings!

There is an old thread on my Ilfeld model here:
A station from Germany..... - G Scale Central

I've still got to get round to doing a similar one for the Drei Annen Hohne model, which I bought last year from the same maker.

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks chaps!
PhilP, to be fair the last two days have been JUST tracklaying - all the civil engineering works were done ages ago, including filling the trackbed with the limestone chippings. So it was all ready to start putting track down, but even so I'm really pleased that we managed to get the whole gound-level section down and running in just the two days!

They are ingeniously shaped concrete blocks that are dry-laid, each block has a rear lip that interlocks with the layer below it, and they are tapered so that they can be laid in straight or curved patterns; not cheap (though the current price is less than I paid a couple of years ago!) and you have to buy them by the pallet of about 90 blocks at a time. A very clever and easy to use product.

Jon.

Replying to my own post - Phil, I've just realised that you MIGHT not have been referring to the walling blocks after all, but you might have meant the grey retaining wall that runs up the incline to the raised beds? If so, they are some flat cast concrete slabs that i found in my local B&Q (The Great Beeyankyuu, God of Ruined Weekends), each slab is about 50cm long and has four or five of the "humped" sections moulded into it, so that it looks like a row of slate-type pieces slightly overlapped. They are all the same height, the ones at the bottom of the incline are dug down into the ground so that they follow the line of the gradient. They were stuck to the breeze-block bed of the gradient with one of those all-purpose outdoor adhesives.

Edit: link to B&Q product..... Traditional Paving Edging Grey, (L)500mm (H)250mm (T)45mm Pack of 50 | Departments | DIY at B&Q

Jon.

Last edited:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice jon, your roundtoit must have been a really good quality one!

A huge amount of thanks and credit must go to Chris, who has spent two days helping me with this - without his support and encouragement I would probably have just not bothered (on the basis that is was "too bl**dy hot to work!")..... but between us we pushed on through, and it all paid off with huge grins at seeing the train running faultlessly round! :happy:

Jon.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon, it was the Marshalls product I really meant, but the other info could prove useful as well..

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon,

Great to see the progress that you have made. I look forward to seeing the Harz station buildings.

Regards

Martin

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent work. Great progress. Great to get things running.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Martin and Alan - yes, it's hugely encouraging when something like this actually WORKS first time!

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon, it was the Marshalls product I really meant, but the other info could prove useful as well..
There are generally two thicknesses to these blocks 50 mm (ish) and 80 mm (ish)

Also, if you have a small independent builder's merchant near you, you may find that they stock one of the other manufacturers' products at a better price :nod::nod:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks chaps!

Jon.
I used to see similar blocks to them in Europe decades ago, I am sure that we have only got such things in UK in the last few years. Next step would be to get Lego Type Garden Blocks in sensible colours, now that would be a quick way to build a Wall or even a House?, just a little glug in the sockets and away you go.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I did once see some advertising for blocks which were like a not very tall, thick, tongue-and-groove board..
The top had a raised longitudinal section, and the lower surface had a recess to match..
I think there were two or three thicknesses of block, similar number of differing lengths, and they came in a number of colours.. There was a coping-stone to finish off the top, as well.

I think the ones used above have a 'nib' on the lower-back edge, to hook over the previous course?? - This means each course of blocks steps back slightly, which I would presume helps with stability of the finished wall?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I did once see some advertising for blocks which were like a not very tall, thick, tongue-and-groove board..
The top had a raised longitudinal section, and the lower surface had a recess to match..
I think there were two or three thicknesses of block, similar number of differing lengths, and they came in a number of colours.. There was a coping-stone to finish off the top, as well.

I think the ones used above have a 'nib' on the lower-back edge, to hook over the previous course?? - This means each course of blocks steps back slightly, which I would presume helps with stability of the finished wall?

Yes, exactly - according to the specs I think they say you can go up to about six courses of blocks in height. Once the construction is back-filled with earth, hardcore or whatever you're using, the forward pressure of the contained material simply locks the blocks tighter together.
Alan's link to Marshalls in post 15 above actually shows you the technical specs of the blocks.

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Today's progress was soldering the power connections permanently to the track (much easier than I expected it to be!), connecting all the wiring up and finally testing under Massoth DCC power for the first time....one of my pair of Harzbulles with a five-coach train, ran perfectly, even managed to take some more piccies.....

Power connections soldered to the rails....

Track wiring1.jpeg

Test train runs......

Harzbulle first test1.jpeg

Harzbulle first test2.jpeg

Harzbulle first test3.jpeg

Harzbulle first test4.jpeg

Harzbulle first test5.jpeg

Harzbulle test curve.jpeg

Harzbulle test tub.jpeg

Even risked letting the dogs out into the garden while the train was running - one of them jumped over it a couple of times, but otherwise they pretty much ignored it....!

Harzbulle test - dogs.jpeg

All together, a very successful few days - I foresee a lot more "testing" in the very near future..... ;)

Jon.

Reactions: 3 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Realised a little while ago that all my testing so far had been with fairly big locos with plenty of pickups..... so I dug out the little yellow 0-4-0 KoF that came with my original LGB Digital Starter Set, and gave it a few laps of the circuit - no problems at all! :happy:

Jon.