Accucraft Flat Waggon And Sheep Kit

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
This is more by way of gauging other's feelings than a full review, as I think by now most of us are fairly familiar with Accucraft's rolling stock offerings, and know what to expect.

Sheep Waggons (2) (600 x 450).jpg
Recently I received two long awaited flat waggons with sheep kits. On opening the large box I was faced with two of the box on the left. (The box on the right is the old style for comparison). On opening the first one I was also surprised to find the inner packing was vacuum moulded not expanded poly.

Sheep Waggons (4) (600 x 450).jpg

I expect this has been done for two reasons, firstly it seems (so probably is) cheaper, and also for environmental concerns (particularly the polystyrene). One advantage of the vacuum formed inner is that there is room for the Sheep Kit inside the box, should you wish to pack the whole thing away.

Sheep Waggons (6) (600 x 450).jpg

I have a small concern about the Sheep Kit in that the (very) small fittings obviously have been assembled at the factory with good old Super Gloop. leaving in many cases, a white smudge all round. Any one know if this is removable other than painting over?

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
You seem to have a dark grey flat wagon with light grey superstructure. I thought they were one or the other not mixed,whether data only or lettered. .Trick of the light ?

Looking at mine the sheep bit seems a little thin compared to other stuff in the range and prone to bowing. Coupling safety chains are chemically blackened not painted as on other items in this extensive range so they don't seem to match in a rake (Ok, I'm being picky). If there are glue marks I'd send them back for replacement. Pity things seem to be done more to a price these days. But then, business is business. They still represent good value. Just hope they don't start cutting corners on the locos. Max.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
The photos were taken without flash, deliberately. My feeling is one of being slightly cheated, not by the vacuum formed inner, but by the cheap outer. Cost cutting is one thing, but this just takes some of the gloss off in IMHO.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Were you buying a glossy-finish box (which will live in a cupboard) or a nice model?
I would be more (very) upset with the glue-marks..

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
You could always return it - protest vote.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Were you buying a glossy-finish box (which will live in a cupboard) or a nice model?
I would be more (very) upset with the glue-marks..

I have to agree about where the box will live, the waggon is unlikely in my lifetime to see it again, but there was a definate feeling of disappointment when the box looked so plain. I think it does the product a diservice. It felt a bit like a cheap copy.

As to the glue marks, one of the problems with this company's products is availability. I waited over 12 months for the waggons.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
As to the glue marks, one of the problems with this company's products is availability. I waited over 12 months for the waggons.

Having looked again at this, I've come to the opinion that they are intended to be painted. They probably aren't just made in the correct colour plastic as there are options of W&L or GWR. I have no idea how to match the paint. Probably rely on the three-foot rule.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Having looked again at this, I've come to the opinion that they are intended to be painted. They probably aren't just made in the correct colour plastic as there are options of W&L or GWR. I have no idea how to match the paint. Probably rely on the three-foot rule.
Send them back. It would appear they are not of "merchantable quality". It does not even look correct - see here http://www.accucraft.uk.com/products/welshpool-llanfair-sheep-wagon/ Insist the retailer pays full cost of posatge for return and re-delivery. I they won't get onto Accucraft UK themselves. Just because you have been waiting 1 year for them does not mean you must feel obliged to keep substandard goods. Quite the reverse in fact. If customers just roll over and accept then the suppliers won't learn. One of my pet peeves. Max

Reactions: 1 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed:mad:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I understand where you are coming from, and most times I would agree. But these were supplied separately, a flat waggon, and a conversion kit for the sheep bit. The kit is dark grey/black resin, so I'm fairly certain it should be painted to your desired shade, W&L light grey, GWR dark grey, or bauxite. I would also glue them together if I was going to make them permanent, but I like keeping options open. (The loading door is on the other side.)

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ah.......Z33.....I didn't spot that. They are supposed to be unpainted so the glue mark is to be expected, the moulding is in a base colour. Not actualy the right one. You just get the upper part to fit to a pre-existing flat wagon ? Yes ? Suggest you check the Phoenix Precision paint range for a match to the W&L light grey. Max.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
To continue, I have just about got round to sorting the painting of these out. If you're not sure look to the left on the bottom line! :D

I decided to prime them with Half-rods grey plastic primer and lo-and-behold it's not that far out ('T isn't quite dry yet!) compared to the W&L waggon.

I may even call it a day at that.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Mmm please sir, me sir, waving my hand in the air.
If you were intending painting the stock then why complain in the first case? Okay, I understand that the model as supplied is substandard, but if you intend to 'get at it' then surely the subject is moot. :think:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
At the start (pre-purchase and even post) I hadn't appreciated that they would require painting. I suppose 'Kit' should have told me more, but it was rather a conclusion that was arrived at later. My original problem was more the disappointmment with the cheaper packaging.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I have since discovered this : -

Whoops! (1) (600 x 450).jpg

Here's one they made earlier!

Whoops! (2a) (600 x 281).jpg

Anyone spot that before, it isn't even metric? :shake::shake::shake: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
But it MUST be right..
The 'spell chucker' never caught it!
:oops::rolleyes::banghead:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Makes no odds to a Chinese worker. :speechless:

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
looks more 2 tone from your earlier pic :)

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Nah, deffo says 4 tone! :rofl:

Interesting, I have just taken delivery of two more, one full livery and one data only (for the 'orange' project). The full livery one came in an even cheaper made box than the last lot, the data only was the same type box as the last lot, still sans any colour.

There is also a change in the quality of some of the mouldings attached, such as the couplings, the heads are thicker and my patent uncoupling blade now doesn't, it sticks. :mm:

Reactions: 1 user