Accucraft Dolgoch for 2019 in 1:19 Scale

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I like it!!:):):) non insulated! no problem will run on my track both the clubs tracks all my mates tracks as we are all battery here we dont have the time for powered track so it a winner for me:):):):)

Yebbut...... non-insulated will run anywhere that doesn't have track power. Insulated will run ANYWHERE. So why? Is there some hidden benefit to non-insulated wheels that I'm not seeing, other than simply to p*ss off people who still use track power for some purposes?
Personally, I still think it might simply be a typo in the first post..... but Hugh, the OP, hasn't been back on to confirm or deny.....

Not that I'm particularly worried either way, since I wouldn't be in the market for one anyway! ;)

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Can see both side of the Insulated Wheels discussion. For what it is worth I did not do much Live Steam running when on Track Power as I found that the gunk dropped about by puffers affected reliable running. Now if you are just running round in circles that is not so much of a a problem, but if like me you stop at Stations, Shunt Wagons and want the correct Whistles and other sounds working then gunk in the track does not help. Hence whenever I had been running Live Steam a track heavier cleaning session had to be carried out before Electric Running was indulged in. These days with now that I am pretty much Battery Power only it is less of an issue.

As for Dolgoch and any other TR kit, whatever Gauge it is run on (32 or 45mm) will be wrong as the Track at this line is 2’3”. Scale said to be 1:19 16mm to the foot. With that Scale it is to be, then it will be correct for either of them. There will certainly need to be compromises with the Wheels and Cylinder Spacing to get it on 45mm Track.Needless to say I worry little about such things, but no one has mentioned this yet so far as I can see.

As for Jimmy looking for Live Steam, may I suggest you look at the Regner Geared Drive Locomotives? Nice slow steady runners that come with Insulated Wheels at a much lesser cost than this will be, pretty as it is.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I like it!!:):):) non insulated! no problem will run on my track both the clubs tracks all my mates tracks as we are all battery here we dont have the time for powered track so it a winner for me:):):):)

Yes, but it would be nice to be inclusive.
:think::nod::nod:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, but it would be nice to be inclusive.
:think::nod::nod:
I have to say that, while I can understand 32mm gauge being non-insulated, I would have thought that a manufacturer would increase potential sales with 45mm gauge being insulated as a given.

People who run on 45mm track tend to have wider ranging running both in types of rolling stock and methods of locomotive propulsion

Reactions: 1 user

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I have to say that, while I can understand 32mm gauge being non-insulated, I would have thought that a manufacturer would increase potential sales with 45mm gauge being insulated as a given.

People who run on 45mm track tend to have wider ranging running both in types of rolling stock and methods of locomotive propulsion

And R/C for those of us with 'mountains' to climb (and descend)!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm beginning to think that Mr Napier is actually a collective hallucination...

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I'm beginning to think that Mr Napier is actually a collective hallucination...

117 posts in six years..

So he does not post that often.. - About once a fortnight, on average. :nerd:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've seen a lot of the Accucraft main people over the years, Ian and Sandy. Graham Langer, Bing Cheng and nephew, even spending time with them over at Pontrilas earlier this year on a great open day [thanks to Dave Mee and Si from Model Earth, too], but I'm the first to admit that I've never heard of Mr Napier before that post here. But then it's almost certain that he's never heard of me, either. However, I can tell you, in total confidence, that he doesn't respond to PMs.

Last edited:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I've seen a lot of the Accucraft main people over the years, Ian and Sandy. Graham Langer, Bing Chen and nephew, even spending time with them over at Pontrilas earlier this year on a great open day [thanks to Dave Mee and Si from Model Earth, too], but I'm the first to admit that I've never heard of Mr Napier before that post here. But then it's almost certain that he's never heard of me, either. However, I can tell you, in total confidence, that he doesn't respond to PMs.

Well Tac, you might not be aware of Mr Napier but looking at some of Hugh's past postings it would appear he has some sort of strong connection to Accucraft UK. A convenient alias perhaps ? Max

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well, at the top of this thread he wrote 'we [Accucraft UK], so you may be correct, but I fail to see the necessity for this kind of obfuscation - we are playing toy trains here, not engaging in commercial espionage.

Are we?

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well, at the top of this thread he wrote 'we [Accucraft UK], so you may be correct, but I fail to see the necessity for this kind of obfuscation - we are playing toy trains here, not engaging in commercial espionage.

Are we?

Have you not noted some rather irate comments originating from the other side of the pond regarding the announcement of this product Tac. The suggestion being that this little loco is a bit of a spoiler, so to speak. Might be a bit of a cause for obfustication. As you say - "we are playing toy trains here, not engaging in commercial espionage"

It's interesting that the Talyllyn, the original "preserved railway", does not seem to have had the 16 mm market attention from the big boys that the W&L, VoR and WHR/Festiniog has had to date. OK, RH did Tom Rolt but as I understand it it was not a big seller. The rolling stock makers have ensured it has been well provided for at both ends of the market for some time - Perfect World & IP - so no shortage of the means to make up a prototypical train and usually the trigger for the loco makers to pile in. Possibly its 2'3" gauge has been problematic for some purists. And the outside frame wheel arrangements of most of the locos does not help when you ideally require a product to be readily gauge adjustable for those all important sales. Which make the timing of this announcement intriguing. I like a bit of intrigue I does, it's in the genes. Max

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Max, I'm well aware of the ongoing shenanigins, highlighted on Facetwitch by the other 'Dolgoch' hat-in-the-ring'er', but chose not to mention it publicly for fear of causing dissent among the troops, some of whom live in the USA. They are far more likely to buy the other offering rather than the UK version, simply because it will inevitably be cheaper by virtue of the sales location and decidedly lower taxes all round - Oregon is one of a handful of states that has NO sales tax, as an example. However, note that those good folks in the GWN, suffering under very poor Can$/US$ exchange rates have to pay considerable taxes on merchandise imported from the USA, the same as we do here in UK.

Your comment about the odd track gauge of the Ffestiniog Railway simply reminds me that we run Welshpool stock [2ft 6in] on 45mm gauge or even 32mm gauge. Both are incorrect. The 3ft gauge IoM stock is good for running on 45mm gauge track, but only if you accept that it is no longer 16mm scale/1/19th, but 15mm/20.3.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Going back a bit, and hopefully without causing upsets, do many people actually run steam and track powered locos at the same time?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I do, but I have two independent and totally-unconnected circuits at home, and at the Mereside track we do the same.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Your comment about the odd track gauge of the Ffestiniog Railway simply reminds me that we run Welshpool stock [2ft 6in] on 45mm gauge or even 32mm gauge. Both are incorrect. The 3ft gauge IoM stock is good for running on 45mm gauge track, but only if you accept that it is no longer 16mm scale/1/19th, but 15mm/20.3.

I'm aware of that but I was referring to the Talyllyn @ 2'3" not the Festiniog's @ 1'11.5". I only mentioned it just to point up a possible reason why it might have been put on the backburner by some makers. Some 16mm modellers can be fussy - though not myself. I used to have an early Accucraft electric IoM Caladonia and stock to run with it and yes it and its Beyer Peacock siblings were marketed as 15 mm and non gauge adjustable.

Strange fact I only recently heard (I assume it is factual not myth) the reason why some narrow gauge railways were pitched at sizes just below 2ft. 2ft was a tax break point. Reminds me of my days as a rep and the old Inland Revenue as was pitching the tax breaks on engine capacity - why we ended up with loads of 1600 and 2000 cc cars here.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Going back a bit, and hopefully without causing upsets, do many people actually run steam and track powered locos at the same time?

Well, among local GSS members we've certainly had times at our indoor winter running days when the track power has still been on when somebody has plonked a live steamer on one of the sidings to get it ready, forgetting that it didn't have insulated wheels, and Wacky Hi-Jinks have ensued. I refer back to my previous question that no-one has really addressed yet - is there any good reason NOT to put insulated wheels on as a matter of course....?

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well, among local GSS members we've certainly had times at our indoor winter running days when the track power has still been on when somebody has plonked a live steamer on one of the sidings to get it ready, forgetting that it didn't have insulated wheels, and Wacky Hi-Jinks have ensued. I refer back to my previous question that no-one has really addressed yet - is there any good reason NOT to put insulated wheels on as a matter of course....?

Jon.
I would i agine it could be to do with fitting the inside Valve Gear, if Insulated Wheels are anything like the Roundhouse ones in Accucraft Lokies there will be a lot of Plastic inside the Chassis. This is of course sheer conjecture.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The plastics only matter if the wrong type is used..
Thermoplastic can be re-melted, so would not be a good choice..
Thermoset, on the other hand, stays solid.

It just needs the right question(s) to be asked about the materials being used..

Considering how small the market is, this 'them and us' division does not seem (to me) to make sense?? :think::shake::shake:
Surely, with a small market to start with, you would design to maximise your potential customer-base?? :nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
The plastics only matter if the wrong type is used..
Thermoplastic can be re-melted, so would not be a good choice..
Thermoset, on the other hand, stays solid.

It just needs the right question(s) to be asked about the materials being used..

Considering how small the market is, this 'them and us' division does not seem (to me) to make sense?? :think::shake::shake:
Surely, with a small market to start with, you would design to maximise your potential customer-base?? :nod::nod:

Exactly, Phil..... or at least that's what I would have thought.

Jon.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps Mr Napper will reply and tell us what's what?