Accucraft Dolgoch for 2019 in 1:19 Scale

Hugh Napier

Registered
6 Aug 2012
Best answers
"In 2013 Accucraft UK were approached to produce all the Talyllyn Railway locomotives as a commission and although this never came to fruition we had worked up the concepts and designs with a view to producing them of our own accord. Due to developments within the trade we have decided that, rather than waste all this effort, we would bring the first of these, Dolgoch, to the market in 2019."
1544534386428.png

The model is built to a scale of 16mm:1′ (1:19 scale) and follows our standard design brief being internally gas-fired with a centre flue boiler. The model will not be gauge adjustable but will be available in either 32mm (‘O’ gauge) or 45mm (‘1′ gauge) and will not have insulated wheels. The axles run in bronze bearings and all the rods and valve gear (simplified Stephenson) will be manufactured from stainless steel. The cab roof flips up and over sideways to give access to the gas and water, the lubricator filler is in one of the bunkers. The copper boiler is fitted with a gauge glass (with blow down) and the displacement lubricator has an under-floor drain valve. The model is built from stainless steel and brass. Although fitted with TR buffers and couplings the model will be supplied with a pair of our Z2 chopper couplings for those who wish to use them.The model will be available in TR green, ‘Atlas Foundry’ green or Crimson Lake. UK RRP £1550.00, due for delivery Q2/Q3 2019.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
No R/C version?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Very pretty! Any reason why the wheels will not be insulated, particularly on the 45mm version? Unless that "not" was a typo, of course.....

Jon.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Next year as a retirement present I am after a live steamer - 45 mm, insulated wheels and R/C, still making my mind up on manufacturer and prototype!!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Next year as a retirement present I am after a live steamer - 45 mm, insulated wheels and R/C, still making my mind up on manufacturer and prototype!!

If you want one that is in keeping with your LGB stock, Jimmy, then you might look for a good condition example of the LGB/Aster live steam Frank S......?
I've been very pleased with the one I have, which has a gas tank conversion added that greatly improves the running.

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely model, I will put it on my wish list

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Long wheelbase - seem to remember some comments in L T Rolt's book about that :think::think::think:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I can understand the need for a fixed gauging due to the prototype's configuration - but the lack of wheel insulation - especially on a 45 mm version where it's owner will probably want it to share track time with DC/DCC products not just battery ? Possibly a combination of limitations that will limit sales and even possible re-sale values. Both would be a consideration to a buyer. An 0-4-0 with a long wheelbase - what will be the minimum radius it will need ? Maybe a subject more suited to the artisan maker with smaller volume build requirements ? Max

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hugh did say the 45mm was "'1' gauge"..

A very different animal to G, and the gauge 1 fraternity tend to have enormous radii curves! ;)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm lucky, since I have only 14ft radius curves on my home track, and run on our association track that has about the same sweeping curves, but maxi-model makes a good point. 'Dolgoch' appears to have a fixed wheelbase that is extraordinarily long for an 0-4-0, just like the prototype, and although I don't usually make bets, so I'm opining that this lovely model will need R3 curves/switches at least to avoid binding.

Last edited:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Will also need true and level track or else the long wheelbase will be lifting a wheel at one corner.

Reactions: 1 users

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Will also need true and level track or else the long wheelbase will be lifting a wheel at one corner.
However the prototype Talyllyn Railway's track hardly fitted that description in the early preservation days.
Once source called it rust filled ruts held to gauge by weeds! :eek:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
However the prototype Talyllyn Railway's track hardly fitted that description in the early preservation days.
Once source called it rust filled ruts held to gauge by weeds! :eek:

Don't forget the prototype had suspension which allowed it to cope, this doesn't, however its wheel base isn't as long as a four wheel wagon so it really shouldn't have too much trouble on that score.

Reactions: 1 users

TLR

anything to do with model L/S loco's boats etc
24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
Accucraft website says min radius is 24" and as it's only 11" long the wheel base is probably a lot less than some 4 wheel wagons.

Shaun

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Isn't R1 24" radius? R2 is about 30" radius right?

I'm thinking that Tac probably means that R2 might be the PRACTICAL minimum, rather than the quoted one.... my Schug/Accucraft Sachsen IIIk is theoretically capable of R2 with the new blind centre drivers fitted, but in reality it is certainly not happy on it - R3 is really the effective minimum for good running.

Jon.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
My Aster/LGB White Pass Mike will physically GO around R1 curves, but it looks totally ridiculous doing so...as will the HSB 2-10-2. But would you?

Alan B

3D printer/maker trains motor bikes BMW
6 Apr 2015
Milang South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I like it!!:):):) non insulated! no problem will run on my track both the clubs tracks all my mates tracks as we are all battery here we dont have the time for powered track so it a winner for me:):):):)