A very basic question

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Re:A very basic question and a bit more.................

craigrailinc said:
BUT i started work on the other side of the garden where I have 3 sidings to wire up same idea got the points in and working, started working on the track contacts (17100) wired up the one furthest away working! GREAT came to the next one same principal BUT huge heat overload and melted the casing:mad: tried a new out the bag track contact not working either:mad:, thought to myself get one from the other side that was working, that didnt work either. So went to put that one back (the one that had worked) in its old position and its not working the point motor wont click over but just vibrates.:( back and forward any ideas been over my wiring several times..
is it possible to fry these contacts???
yes, it is very easy to fry them.
the vibrating is a sure sign, that you fried it.
there are various resons for frying.
faulty contact - very seldom
DC connection instead od AC connection - that happens
the magnet stays too long over the contact - that happens most often.

could you make a sketch, how you set it up?

btw. if you open one of the fried contacts and bring it to an electronic shop, they can sell you the components for making your own copies of the contacts. it is easy, i did a handfull of them.

later, when i have more time, i will try to make a sketch, how it should be wired to work.

korm

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

As Korm says, it sounds like you have got AC and DC mixed up somewhere with your wiring.

Do you own a multimeter? You could then check to see if the voltage to your track contact is the correct AC at the correct voltage....

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag

try this

passing02.JPG

craigrailinc

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Bonny Scotland
Best answers
Country flag

Well fixed the original side that was working traced it all the way back the EPL box only two switches work on it on the right hand side. when you piggy back it only works on one side. so pretty much taken all day to get to where i started from. the original side works and one of the new sidings works.
BUT my epl box I need for the other points is a big bit of useless orange plastic and the two track contacts are fried all in a goods work. NOT!!! maybe Mr Lumpy Hammer could fix it.:eek::