A little commission for somebody?

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not bright enough to make a CAD drawing, let alone do 3D printing, but I would like 14 frames to finish off my signal heads and couldn't face trying to fashion them in plasticard. The job is pretty simple, I would imagine, suitable for home printing, so I wondered if anyone here might be interested in knocking out some in a white outdoor-suitable material? Just the white part shown below, and if it helps the printing, there could be a little bracing across the centre space, which I could cut off before fitting:
signalhead_frame.jpg

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
I would do them with a lasercutter. (not me, because there is a shop nearby who does it for me) Thickness 0,8mm or 1,6 mm In white or clear. I'm using them for my trams.

from left to right:
window frame for a modern Düwag tram right above a door for an old door grille. a headlight ring. A little right angle frame for indicator frames and just a rest piece .
When they come out of the laser, they are a bit sticky and show smoke marks. I clean them with washing liquit.

I made a quick drawing with corel draw, but this forum doesn't allow to upload it. If you want it, sent me an email, please

Peter

Attachments

• lasercut.jpg
    lasercut.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, could 3d print in white ABS or laser cut from ply or potentially plasticard.

Please just drop me a PM if you're interested.

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Arrived today from Germany, the signal head frames arranged for by the amazing Peter Bosbach (schienenkönig). I'll have to wait for better weather in order to fit them to the signals outside, but I had one left on the bench and I'm delighted with the result. The signals themselves are customised from North Pilton Works laser cut wood kits and are a touch chunky in appearance (though that ought to make them robust enough to live outside) and the new frames will help to make them seem less so, to me at least, and they complete the 'Spanification' treatment. I've added a secondary blue indicator to this one, as a permissive signal to allow shunting along the plain line as far as the station limits board - as a fictional Spanish railway, the Ferrocarril Val de Martyn gives scope for such idiosyncracies.
signalheadframe.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Arrived today from Germany, the signal head frames arranged for by the amazing Peter Bosbach (schienenkönig). I'll have to wait for better weather in order to fit them to the signals outside, but I had one left on the bench and I'm delighted with the result. The signals themselves are customised from North Pilton Works laser cut wood kits and are a touch chunky in appearance (though that ought to make them robust enough to live outside) and the new frames will help to make them seem less so, to me at least, and they complete the 'Spanification' treatment. I've added a secondary blue indicator to this one, as a permissive signal to allow shunting along the plain line as far as the station limits board - as a fictional Spanish railway, the Ferrocarril Val de Martyn gives scope for such idiosyncracies.
View attachment 292286
Nice job, hope the wood survives outside for you. You appear to be into Operating, up for some East German operations next year at St.Neots?

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Nice job, hope the wood survives outside for you. You appear to be into Operating, up for some East German operations next year at St.Neots?
Love to! When I commanded the TA Railway Squadron half a lifetime ago, I took my senior NCOs to the Harz for an exercise in which they had to covertly work out how we would take it over and run it, but I promise to behave myself >:) Three or four layers of paint plus yacht varnish, so fingers crossed for the signals.