A little bit of scratchbuilding

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Excellento, Sir! Proof, if ever it was needed, of 'mind over matter'.

If you don't mind what it looks like, or what anybody says about it, it doesn't matter.

Keep 'em coming, Bro. I like your style. :)

tac
OVGRS
POCRR

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
The last 2 of my "therapy wagons" are now complete, they were originally started to give me something to do while recovering from hip replacement surgery but took a little longer to finish than I planned there are 6 wagons in all to go behind my Bachmann "Connie".

First lot are a gondola with scrap vehicles going to recycle yard, I found the vehicles in a market stall amongst some old toys total cost 50c, the dents are the result of the use of a blow torch and some shaping.

I varnished the wood instead of painting it because SWMBO said it would be a shame to cover it up, the "bolts" are brass dressmaking pins.

P1040728.JPG

P1040729.JPG

P1040730.JPG

P1040731.JPG

P1040732.JPG

P1040733.JPG

Reactions: 15 users

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Second lot
The planking on the flat car is made from paddle pop/coffee stirrer sticks glued on and stained with acrylic artist paints diluted with methylated spirit/de-natured alcohol.
In the first pic you can make out the pieces of flat steel that is used to prevent warping of the MDF deck and adds weight, all my wagons are on the same chassis design (see my first attempt at scratchbuilding thread for pictures).
Bogies are made from styrene and plastic cornice molding.
The pipes are 25mm PVC electrical conduit with the flanges cut from an old plastic sign, the rests are just pieces of timber with grooves (made with a round file) to stop the pipes from rolling sideways.
The chains on both are from the cheap/DIY jewelry section of a $2 shop, in the gondola they are attached by hook and loop dressmaking accessories and rivets that I bought from a bloke in Sri Lanka (goes by the name of Pasidump on ebay) who make G Scale kits of short flat cars.

P1040734.JPG

P1040735.JPG

P1040736.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
My next project is to attempt to make a diesel loco based loosely on an RS-3 using a Little Critter as the short hood and cabin and trying to make a long hood and extend the deck.
I have a motor block that I can use and I plan to clone the side bars.
I would like an RS-3 but to get one to Aust costs more in postage than what I could buy one, last time I looked $450 US for the loco and $500 for postage and handling, so this is my solution.

Might take a while but who knows biggest problem will be shaping the long hood, the rest should be easy (famous last words??).

Reactions: 1 user

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Second lot
The planking on the flat car is made from paddle pop/coffee stirrer sticks glued on and stained with acrylic artist paints diluted with methylated spirit/de-natured alcohol.
In the first pic you can make out the pieces of flat steel that is used to prevent warping of the MDF deck and adds weight, all my wagons are on the same chassis design.
Bogies are made from styrene and plastic cornice molding.
The pipes are 25mm PVC electrical conduit with the flanges cut from an old plastic sign, the rests are just pieces of timber with grooves (made with a round file) to stop the pipes from rolling sideways.
The chains on both are from the cheap/DIY jewelry section of a $2 shop, in the gondola they are attached by hook and loop dressmaking accessories and rivets that I bought from a bloke in Sri Lanka (goes by the name of Pasidump on ebay) who make G Scale kits of short flat cars.

View attachment 230336

View attachment 230337

View attachment 230338
Very nice. awesome use of odds and ends. Love the pipes looks very realistic.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
My next project is to attempt to make a diesel loco based loosely on an RS-3 using a Little Critter as the short hood and cabin and trying to make a long hood and extend the deck.
I would like an RS-3 but to get one to Aust costs more in postage than what I could buy one, last time I looked $450 US for the loco and $500 for postage and handling, so this is my solution.

Might take a while but who knows biggest problem will be shaping the long hood, the rest should be easy (famous last words??).

Nice work! The steel base is a good idea too. Look foward to your RS-3 project.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The last 2 of my "therapy wagons" are now complete, they were originally started to give me something to do while recovering from hip replacement surgery but took a little longer to finish than I planned there are 6 wagons in all to go behind my Bachmann "Connie".

First lot are a gondola with scrap vehicles going to recycle yard, I found the vehicles in a market stall amongst some old toys total cost 50c, the dents are the result of the use of a blow torch and some shaping.

I varnished the wood instead of painting it because SWMBO said it would be a shame to cover it up, the "bolts" are brass dressmaking pins.

View attachment 230330

View attachment 230331

View attachment 230332

View attachment 230333

View attachment 230334

View attachment 230335
I do like the old chassis on top :nod::nod::nod:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
THAT is what our modelling is all about...wait until our Paraguayan pal see them!!

tac
OVGRS.org

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
THAT is what our modelling is all about...wait until our Paraguayan pal see them!!
he doesn't see them.
and if he would, he would be extremly jealous. because the only project smaller than 1:1, that he did in this year, was a model of a new firestation. (in vain. the project was not aproved)

how many times a man has to retire, before he gets time for modeling?

Reactions: 1 users

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
he doesn't see them.
and if he would, he would be extremly jealous. because the only project smaller than 1:1, that he did in this year, was a model of a new firestation. (in vain. the project was not aproved)

how many times a man has to retire, before he gets time for modeling?

I have been told by a lot of people at my local bowls club that once I retire I will wonder how I found time to go to work for all those years. ;) ;) ;) :) :) been told every day is a Saturday.
18 months and counting Tick Tock Tick tock

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
till now, i got the impression, that the sole difference between work and retirement is, that one may choose freely, what work to do first.
(for married men this may be only partially true)

Reactions: 2 users

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
till now, i got the impression, that the sole difference between work and retirement is, that one may choose freely, what work to do first.
(for married men this may be only partially true)

Wing Commander Kitchen will always decide which sortie is to be undertaken for the day.
Sorry thats my RAAF training coming out. ;) ;) ;)

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag

Well after a bit of deliberation (no thinking involved that gives me headaches) I have decided that the RS-3 is just too hard and I really do not have a need for one.

Instead I have now embarked on making a railcar from bits and pieces from the "treasure trove" (No missus that is not junk it's treasure!!).

The pieces that will go into making the rail car are;
An old LGB coach body
A toy diesel outline
A motor block that was begging for a chassis
Old cow catcher from some loco and
A single bogie from goodness knows what, possibly a loco.

Power will be battery R/C 10 NiMH batteries in a pack just visible in the mock up picture.

Below are some pictures of the bits and a mockup of how it will most likely look.

Coach components.JPG

Diesel Components.JPG

Diesel Components.JPG

Coach mock up.JPG

Diesel mock up.JPG

Mock up.JPG

Attachments

• Diesel Motor Block.JPG
    Diesel Motor Block.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 4 users

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a good plan to me.:clap:

Greg,
Something sorta like "Red Fred" I'm thinking or maybe something based very loosely on this.

RM16 railmotor.jpg

I usually like to produce "one of's/whatif's" because my imagination says I can. >:) >:)

Progress report;
The Clesterory roof succumbed to a vicious attack from a "Dremel" type tool and sadly has departed this planet.

Reactions: 2 users

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I like those freight cars,,a lot;),the truck chassis on top looks like a 1/25 truck kit going by the loops on the front,think they take the opening one piece hood section,that railtruck looks interesting too,good idea for a bash,keep us posted;););)

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
A bit of an update on the railcar project it is at the primed for painting stage, its taken a while but that is what happens when work gets in the road of your hobby.
In keeping with the whatever is on hand theme, I am planning on using some paint intended for the flyscreens on the house I just sold, its metal paint but should work. Colours are a Cream for the window to roof level and a darkish Green for the lower level, for Aust people its colourbond colours.
A lot of filler and sanding on the coach roof where the clerestory was had to be done but I cheated and used my orbital sander.
The design and colour scheme is very fluid, read if it doesn't look right or work as it is its redesigned.
The "Make it up as you go along design company Pty Ltd" are the project managers for this one. :( :( :(

P1040859.JPG

P1040860.JPG

P1040861.JPG

I think it looks a bit high but there is nothing I can do about that except maybe put luggage compartments under the coach between the wheels to try and give it a closer to the rail look. AA cell is for height perspective.

P1040862.JPG

This is the filler I used. I found it in an auto parts shop, its for repairing plastic body panels, it is a bit messy but dries really quickly and can be filed, sanded and carved. Cost about $25 for 500g can which should last me a few years.

P1040863.JPG

Attachments

• P1040862.JPG
    P1040862.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Quite like that..
Think I might have investigated if I could have reduced the height of the cab/engine compartment. - To make a step in the roofline..
Just think it might have added a little. YMMV, and rule 8, of course.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Quite like that..
Think I might have investigated if I could have reduced the height of the cab/engine compartment. - To make a step in the roofline..
Just think it might have added a little. YMMV, and rule 8, of course.

Funny you say that because I raised the cab height to try and get the roofs level, the coach roof extended over the cab roof in the initial design and was bent to blend it in.
The design company may get a design deviation request which will be sent to the Dremel workshop for the change. Standby to standby
Do not recognize the acronym YMMV. o_Oo_O

Edit/update;

The design deviation was approved and the cab has been "modified".
Another review is underway to determine if further lowering and roof modification is required.
Biggest problem is that the cab cannot be attached to the coach as it will contain all the electronics and access will be require. More pondering required.

Last edited:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Funny you say that because I raised the cab height to try and get the roofs level, the coach roof extended over the cab roof in the initial design and was bent to blend it in.
The design company may get a design deviation request which will be sent to the Dremel workshop for the change. Standby to standby
Do not recognize the acronym YMMV. o_Oo_O

YMMV = "Your Mileage May Vary" - used where the poster is expressing a personal opinion that others may not agree with, or relating an experience where others may get different results from doing something similar (or something like that)....

Jon.