A DIY point lever

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Having just installed some new sidings on the layout - and being particularly dissatisfied with LGB point levers, I decided to have a go at manufacturing my own. A couple of LGB sleepers, a piece of brass sheet, a piece of brass rod, a short length of Peco rail and €0.04, a few nuts and bolts, a bit of solder and the occasional swear word et voila!
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

I appreciate that it's a bit rough and ready at the moment - this is the prototype. Hopefully Mk2 will look a bit prettier.

Rik

Reactions: 10 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Great piece of ingenuity there ge_rik. How many others would switch to your design?

Reactions: 1 user

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I’d certainly use that. A great bit of work. It’s much like the Heyn versions? ....but much cheaper. I’m impressed.

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Where was the peco rail used? Excellent work!

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Having just installed some new sidings on the layout - and being particularly dissatisfied with LGB point levers, I decided to have a go at manufacturing my own. A couple of LGB sleepers, a piece of brass sheet, a piece of brass rod, a short length of Peco rail and €0.04, a few nuts and bolts, a bit of solder and the occasional swear word et voila!
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

I appreciate that it's a bit rough and ready at the moment - this is the prototype. Hopefully Mk2 will look a bit prettier.

Rik

Love it Rik; consider this idea nicked and transported to the colonies for the term of its natural life.
Aesthetics are not a consideration on my layout. To quote an old friend he used to run the "RAGS" railway. RAGS= Rough As GutS. Hmm new name for my new railway maybe??

I have another example of a homemade one but at present time it is a box in the back of the shed awaiting transport to the new layout property, if I remember I will post photos.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I tried to do something similar on the Ruschbahn but it would never hold the Blade in place sufficiently well to stop track splitting. Perhaps the use of an L with a good tight fit and Lock Nuts was what I needed to do. For the Lever I used some old Flat Bottom Rail that I had kicking around from my 16mm Days, less filling!

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I’d certainly use that. A great bit of work. It’s much like the Heyn versions? ....but much cheaper. I’m impressed.
Guilty - but at £20 a throw (accidental pun), I wanted a cheaper alternative.

Rik

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Over at Fred's IPPW track all the point throws are simple hardware store bolts. They work, and have worked, for many years, and sure as heck cost a lot less than £20 each. I think maybe $2.50? I'm sure Fred can 'throw' some light on it.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Version 2
IMG_8903.JPG

IMG_8901.JPG

IMG_8899.JPG

Happier with the look of this one. I've fitted it to a Piko point which seems to have a shorter throw than the LGB equivalent. The lever now moves far less and so I think I will need to lower the pivot, to shorten the distance between it and the linkage to the tie bar, thereby increasing the amount of throw needed so the weight gives a bit more resistance and holds the blades more tightly against the stock rails. Not tried trailing stock through either yet, so not sure whether I've got the resistance right - maybe some fine tuning needed.

Rik
PS - I've run out of 1c Euro coins so will have to wait until some brass rod arrives before I can continue with development and as PhilP PhilP says, might be even more difficult post Brexit

Reactions: 4 users

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Even better! Well done. Would brass washers be as good as the Eurocents?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Version 2
PS - I've run out of 1c Euro coins so will have to wait until some brass rod arrives before I can continue with development and as PhilP PhilP says, might be even more difficult post Brexit

It's bad enough now with the one cent coins - most shops now round up (or down) to eliminate handling - my bank will only accept them on a Tuesday or Thursday! In the end I took them to Tesco's where they have a machine that sorts them and gives you a credit note (to spend in Tesco's of course) - I had 21 euros worth of the things! Next on the hit list of "real" currency will be the 2 cents!

Keep up the good work - I might borrow your ideas for my Trailer layout if you don't mind!

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I reckon used stick on mag wheel weighs, the lead ones would work. Use a 1/2 inch or 12mm wad punch to cut out discs then they also can be soldered

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Version 2
View attachment 244741

View attachment 244742

View attachment 244743

Happier with the look of this one. I've fitted it to a Piko point which seems to have a shorter throw than the LGB equivalent. The lever now moves far less and so I think I will need to lower the pivot, to shorten the distance between it and the linkage to the tie bar, thereby increasing the amount of throw needed so the weight gives a bit more resistance and holds the blades more tightly against the stock rails. Not tried trailing stock through either yet, so not sure whether I've got the resistance right - maybe some fine tuning needed.

Rik
What about 5p coins? Or would they be too small, so very easy to loose such a good way to ensure that you do not. Superbly executed project as aways.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Even better! Well done. Would brass washers be as good as the Eurocents?
V2 has a brass washer and a 1c coin on each side. The washers are a lot easier to solder. I did try two washers each side but it didn't look as good as the disk effect with the coins, but thanks for the suggestion.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I reckon used stick on mag wheel weighs, the lead ones would work. Use a 1/2 inch or 12mm wad punch to cut out discs then they also can be soldered
Good idea, thanks.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
What about 5p coins? Or would they be too small, so very easy to loose such a good way to ensure that you do not. Superbly executed project as aways.
Thanks. They are the same size as the 1c coins, but about 5 times the cost :eek: . I've got some 12mm brass rod on order, so have an alternative albeit a bit more time consuming.

Rik

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You will lose as much as you use cutting discs from rod, Shirley? :think:
How about 1p coins? OR if you use washers, can the circular indent be painted-in white, to help the crew see how the point is set? :think::think:

Trailing through:
Is there not enough 'give' from the spring-wire from tie-bar to point-blade(s)?? :think: