A caboose ride around the San Juan Central R.R.

lone ranger

Trams, Southern region BR & USA steam G Scale
29 Apr 2011
Kirby Cross Frinton-on-Sea Essex
Best answers
Country flag
After six years I've finally got the last of the concrete mountains built and can now start concentrating on on making the buildings, details etc. Here's a ride on the caboose from the branch depot and return. Its a wee bit long.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
After six years I've finally got the last of the concrete mountains built and can now start concentrating on on making the buildings, details etc. Here's a ride on the caboose from the branch depot and return. Its a wee bit long.
Very nice I rather like the faked up Mountains behind Carbon City. Lot of Cement gone into those Mountains, have you tried Sulphate of Iron (used to feed Azaleas) for coloring? Gives a rather nice Brown Tint, try a small area first. Also some earth mixed in water can have a good effect of coloring plus Cement Colour Powder, Black works quite well. All these effects can be done after the Mountains have been buikt.

Last edited:

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
That's very impressive Jerry. Would you be able to post the overhead view of your line that shows most of the track plan?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Wow!

The cement-mixer look's like it has been in use for 6 years! ;)

I had decided the line must be in the US.. Until 'the pigeon'. :) Then checked, and see it is in the UK!
Very impressive.. I assume the mountains are not solid?

lone ranger

29 Apr 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Wow!

The cement-mixer look's like it has been in use for 6 years! ;)

I had decided the line must be in the US.. Until 'the pigeon'. :) Then checked, and see it is in the UK!
Very impressive.. I assume the mountains are not solid?

Yes you're correct they are hollow, a scrap timber frame covered with 1/2 inch chicken wire, which in turn is covered with hessian/burlap soaked in a water cement mix. Then top coated with a thicker mix with the strata etc carved in as it dries.S6540003.JPG

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work Jerry....

lone ranger

29 Apr 2011
Best answers
Country flag
That's very impressive Jerry. Would you be able to post the overhead view of your line that shows most of the track plan?

This was taken in 2017 before the mountains had been started on the middle and left side. It shows most of the track but some spurs/sidings have been added as the mountains were built.Screenshot from 2017-10-17 00-18-06.png

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the info, and track plan photo..

I have the length, but not the width, I reckon? - I only have a 22 foot wide plot.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Yes you're correct they are hollow, a scrap timber frame covered with 1/2 inch chicken wire, which in turn is covered with hessian/burlap soaked in a water cement mix. Then top coated with a thicker mix with the strata etc carved in as it dries.View attachment 257340

That sounds like a concrete solution to me.

David