6 wheel motor block for a 0-6-0 Steam engine

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
....Single reduction drives, of which there are a few readily available, are OK until you want to haul heavy loads, then you need to go to 2-stage gearboxes which, for the devout bodger like me, means coughing up and buying one.

It took quite a bit of looking to find the supplier that eventually got me the worm gear and the coupling to go from the motor's 2.3mm shaft to a 3mm axle.

My plan-B involved a como drill gearbox coupled to a set of reducing bevel gears, but I think then it would have taken off like an absolute snail

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It took quite a bit of looking to find the supplier that eventually got me the worm gear and the coupling to go from the motor's 2.3mm shaft to a 3mm axle.

My plan-B involved a como drill gearbox coupled to a set of reducing bevel gears, but I think then it would have taken off like an absolute snail
Yes, the Como gearhead motors are another route, but you need to use 1:1 bevel gears .................... with the right bore combination for motor and axle :oops::oops::oops:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I had been thinking if I'm going to build / print the Loco I could print the drive housing etc. and buy the wheels etc, but thats just making life even harder :) I want 6 wheels for power pickups at least, that's one reason I decided not to use a 4 wheel box which is easy get get even an LGB one new. The staniz I have run OK, until they stall on points :( which is annoying at least with six wheels picking up power its harder to stall them on points. Maybe I should just convert to the dark arts and go battery power :devil::devil:

Thanks for all the comments / suggestions so far.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Might be worth talking to the likes of PDF Models? - They advertise custom chassis design and print??

Reactions: 1 user