3D Printing

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
A Question for anybody that uses a 3D Printer have you printed parts or objects and used them outside permanently ? I don't mean a wagon that you bring back in when you have finished running , I mean things like platform clutter parts of building etc.that stay out side all the time. Contemplating buying one as the price seems to be coming down and the quality going up and some of them don't like like a home made science project anymore :) . I can think of lots of things that I could print with one but only if the stuff can be left outside and cope with good old English weather.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Good question!

UV stability can be improved if the item is painted, but the material used for printing will have a bigger impact, I expect?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
But try and learn the software first.

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
I understand 'Tinkercad' is a good place to start to learn the software??
Dave

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I have heard that Dave, but my point is - the printer is no bloody good if you cant use the software.

darkdaniel100

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Colchester
Best answers
Country flag
I believe aldi are releasing their 3D printer in UK this November for about £300 .. might not be a bad entry level bit of kit for price.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
I have heard that Dave, but my point is - the printer is no bloody good if you cant use the software.
i disagree.there are so many designs avayable (many of them free) that one can print for years, without learning to design in 3D.

fridge

Registered
15 Jan 2012
Sussex
Best answers
i disagree.there are so many designs avayable (many of them free) that one can print for years, without learning to design in 3D.
You're right, but this is only any good if you wan't that particular thing, and some of the railway offerings are pretty dire. Moreover, they are rarely in G scale so you need the software to scale the object up or down and that can produce its own complications. Tinkercad is easy to use once you grab the principles but is fairly useless for precise work on rounded objects, I have found. In my opinion, that 123dapp is the best free software around. This is no longer available from its original publisher, but someone on this forum did publish a link to where it may still be found. The very best free software around is Blender but trying to use that is probably going to add you to the case load of an overburdened NHS or your nearest pub landlord's list of his favourite drunks!

Reactions: 1 user

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
yes, i tried blender... and it seems to need users with a slightly higher IQ than i am.

for rescaling, cutting and/or repositioning imported designs i use netfab or netfabb(?)
(even i can master that)

if you want enough designs, go to yeggi.com
that is a searchmashine, that searches them all. thingyverse, cults, 123, you name it.
my favorite searchfilters:

railroad
railway
1 32
open railway
cart
car
wagon

and (because i'm cheap) combined with
free
latest

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
I believe aldi are releasing their 3D printer in UK this November for about £300 .. might not be a bad entry level bit of kit for price.

That causes some more problems then! I was going to look into getting a 3D printer from Maplins, there is a shop close to me and the manager seems very helpful and has offered to demonstrate the machines, this, I thought was usefull, as if i have problems, there is someone to go and talk to as opposed to trying to find a solution on YouTube or where ever. There machines start at about £500.
Perhaps we could do with an extra heading on GSC just to deal with 3D , where if any 'clever clogs' came up with a design, it could be uploaded for anyone with a printer to share? And also give tips and hints? It would, after all, be model railway orientated.
Dave

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
After searching the net more on filaments did find one that says it is UV resistant called ASA filament,no doubt harder to print than the usual stuff , Nylon is probably good for outside use it says, again no doubt harder to print and probably harder to paint. Was hoping to find information about what filaments people have printed and left outside with or without a paint finish on them and if they degrade but as yet not found a lot on that subject.

If Aldi do sell their 3D printer again and it's the same as last time then it's basically a re-badged Wanhao i3 V2.1 Duplicator which sells on Amazon for £295

In my case I am lucky I don't need to learn to use 3D software, I already use the best in my job, producing 3D models/animations etc. :) I have downloaded and installed a slicer program that previews the output to a printer to get an idea what controls you have on the way things print. hope Santa has lots of printers in stock :rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just found The Aldi link for their printer selling on the 19th of November it look like they have up-graded it to a newer version, it looks like a re-badged Wanhao i3Plus Duplicator

darkdaniel100

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Colchester
Best answers
Country flag
That causes some more problems then! I was going to look into getting a 3D printer from Maplins, there is a shop close to me and the manager seems very helpful and has offered to demonstrate the machines, this, I thought was usefull, as if i have problems, there is someone to go and talk to as opposed to trying to find a solution on YouTube or where ever. There machines start at about £500.
Perhaps we could do with an extra heading on GSC just to deal with 3D , where if any 'clever clogs' came up with a design, it could be uploaded for anyone with a printer to share? And also give tips and hints? It would, after all, be model railway orientated.
Dave

I do not think that's a bad shout .. sounds like a good resource should others be happy to share models etc.

Just found The Aldi link for their printer selling on the 19th of November it look like they have up-graded it to a newer version, it looks like a re-badged Wanhao i3Plus Duplicator
https://www.aldi.co.uk/3d-printer

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Begs the question, from those in the know, ...

Is it any good??????????????? :wondering::wondering:

Presumably, a £600-£700 model would produce more refined results?

Am guessing speeds will be about the same, as the filament takes the same amount of time to set, whatever printer you use??

darkdaniel100

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Colchester
Best answers
Country flag
Begs the question, from those in the know, ...

Is it any good??????????????? :wondering::wondering:

Presumably, a £600-£700 model would produce more refined results?

Am guessing speeds will be about the same, as the filament takes the same amount of time to set, whatever printer you use??

Typically the more you spend the greater the result you get on your printed models ... now that being said for most use cases the items produced can be vastly improved via a routine of sanding (working up through the grades of paper). Once finally painted you can get some very impressive results indeed!

I guess it depends what you plan to make with your printer :) I for one can see a 3D Printer being a great tool for manufacturing add on accessory's such as Snow ploughs etc for locos.

Alan B

3D printer/maker trains motor bikes BMW
6 Apr 2015
Milang South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Guys
I have been 3D printing now for about 10 years now and have been printing materials for outdoor use in g scale for the last 5 years or so, I trialed sleepers and building my own track with some success a friend of mine has taken this to the next step and has built a complete railway, the test section i started with has been outside for 4 years now in the direct sunlight through Australian summers with no structural deterioration only some mild discoloration on the white sleepers, the plastic used is ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) Take into account that the UV here is considerably higher than in the northern hemisphere it would be fair to say that printed ABS is up to the job. I will try to post pictures later.
Alan

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Guys
I have been 3D printing now for about 10 years now and have been printing materials for outdoor use in g scale for the last 5 years or so, I trialed sleepers and building my own track with some success a friend of mine has taken this to the next step and has built a complete railway, the test section i started with has been outside for 4 years now in the direct sunlight through Australian summers with no structural deterioration only some mild discoloration on the white sleepers, the plastic used is ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) Take into account that the UV here is considerably higher than in the northern hemisphere it would be fair to say that printed ABS is up to the job. I will try to post pictures later.
Alan

Thanks for the information Alan.. just the sort of thing we need to know.
PhilP

Alan B

3D printer/maker trains motor bikes BMW
6 Apr 2015
Milang South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Okay a couple of pictures, first is the sleepers, second is my print center, 3 printers all of the 3D up variety I have tried and discarded all the cheep varieties they simply can't produce the quality print I can get from these printers
DSC_1301.jpg
DSC_1302.jpg

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
If you've only got small items to produce LIDL have a 3D pen available from Thursday 16th for under £20. Photo of flyer ad below.
P1060251.JPG

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
If you've only got small items to produce LIDL have a 3D pen available from Thursday 16th for under £20. Photo of flyer ad below.
View attachment 229845

Mmmm - I wonder if they will have them over here. I have seen them online at Rapid - I suppose you just need a steady hand!