2 cyl shay bash

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
For the last couple of years this website has been such a great inspiration to me. Thought I would share one of my favorite bashes. I consider this one of my best works. hope you enjoy.
shay1.jpg shay2.jpg shay3.jpg shay4.jpg shay5.jpg shay6.jpg shay7.jpg shay8.jpg shay9.jpg shay10.jpg
Mike

Reactions: 14 users

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
That, Sir, is one sweet-looking conversion - and it's unique!! Unless you have the megabucks metal version, that is. It takes a brave man to attack a Bachmann Shay, that's for sure.

We really would like to see it moving on a YT video - have you/could you done/do that?

tac

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
That, Sir, is one sweet-looking conversion - and it's unique!! Unless you have the megabucks metal version, that is. It takes a brave man to attack a Bachmann Shay, that's for sure.

We really would like to see it moving on a YT video - have you/could you done/do that?

tac
I agree entirely with what Tac has said, truly a great job and yes it would be great to see her running.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Exquisitely executed.
I have quite a few Shays (Bachmann and Accucraft) of both 2 and 3 cylinder prototypes, live steam and electric, and your handsome one would very certainly not look out of place next to them.
Well done that man!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Agog!
In seeing all of your bashes, you not only have mettle, but clarity of thought.

I love it.

I dont suppose, mmmmmm,m???, youd consider an lgb frr loco bash?

Personally, i dream of a diminutive frr sized shay, based on a chloe style boiler , cab and bunker....jes in case you have nothing to do......

This is something i might try, but im stymied by cylinders and truck, worms, well, you know......all of it.

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
I will see what I can find in the way of a video of it running. If not I sold it to one of my friends in my Thursday coffee group and I can get him to shoot one to share. Although I do some american prototype bashing my real passion is euro trains. especially RhB. Thus I usually sell the american things after a year or so to someone in my group. I just don't have the room and it finances the next project.

RShilling

Registered
3 Jul 2016
Oregon
Best answers
Did you modify the crankshaft to 90 degree separation, or just shorten it? I was thinking about making a two cylinder from a Bachmann shay mechanism, but couldn't decide how to handle that detail.

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
I just shorted it. I tried to keep it simple which kept it running well. The engine was traded to me in pretty rough shape and in need of new trucks. So I replaced the trucks and went to work on it. Shortened the I beam frame and tender than built up the boiler. Thank you all for your kind comments.

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
My friend John has a short video of the shay with the work train I made he is going to post for me. Thanks John.

RShilling

Registered
3 Jul 2016
Oregon
Best answers
I just shorted it. I tried to keep it simple which kept it running well. The engine was traded to me in pretty rough shape and in need of new trucks. So I replaced the trucks and went to work on it. Shortened the I beam frame and tender than built up the boiler. Thank you all for your kind comments.
I'm a little OCD about stuff like that. I should just let that go if I embark on such a project. I've always liked the smaller, older equipment.

This Shay is claimed to be the oldest surviving example in the US. It is located in Redding California. One day, I hope to go get some measurements. (There is a steep admission charge to that area, so some day...)

T-boiler Shay.png
T-boiler Shay.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Are they timber running boards - loverly.

RShilling

Registered
3 Jul 2016
Oregon
Best answers
Wooden running boards and end beams. The original cab was wood as well. A fire destroyed that, and a metal cab, likely from something else, was put in its place.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Shays are something else, there is just a wonder about the older T Boilered ones that I find difficult to resists. I have had 2 G Scale Shays, a Backman one and a Steamlines Live Steamer. Both were a little dissapointing in one way or another and were moved on. But one day I may have a go at a Garden Shed one like this or perhaps the little 4 wheeler now that is really something.image.jpegimage.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I'd be fascinated to know how a single cylinder loco could be made to work Jon. Is that Shay a work of pure whimsy or based a proper functioning one ? How would you get over the problem of the thing getting stuck when crank throw is at TDC apart from being very careful when you park it ? It looks very dinky and a lot of fun.

That 2 cylinder you have made looks great Mike, very close to that prototype's inspiration and an extraordinary level of craftsmanship and finish - I've never seen a T-boiler before. Must look it up. Max

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
This is one of Accucrafts older 2 cyl T-boiler live steam jobbies.It is not as highly detailed, due in part, to the constraints of handling live steamers

P1060321.jpg

P1060325.jpg

P1060323.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
H
For the last couple of years this website has been such a great inspiration to me. Thought I would share one of my favorite bashes. I consider this one of my best works. hope you enjoy.
View attachment 234157 View attachment 234158 View attachment 234159 View attachment 234160 View attachment 234161 View attachment 234162 View attachment 234163 View attachment 234164 View attachment 234165 View attachment 234166
Mike
Hello I came across this thread of your fine Shay,, wondered if I could ask you a bit about it please.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I'd be fascinated to know how a single cylinder loco could be made to work Jon. Is that Shay a work of pure whimsy or based a proper functioning one ? How would you get over the problem of the thing getting stuck when crank throw is at TDC apart from being very careful when you park it ? It looks very dinky and a lot of fun.

That 2 cylinder you have made looks great Mike, very close to that prototype's inspiration and an extraordinary level of craftsmanship and finish - I've never seen a T-boiler before. Must look it up. Max
I think it would need a flywheel that could be shoved to get it going much like a Mamod Traction Engine, scary in real life!