Would the LGB Chloe run on a R0 circle track?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
No rain this morning so finished the other half-circle. Just need to leave them for a couple of days so the adhesive is well and truly hard. So hopefully task completed (on this set - another one is in the pipeline). Just need to sort out a sturdy box and the shipping. It's going to be over the RM standard parcel limit of
2kg so could be a Hermes job.

View attachment 288471
Great work, Mike, and much appreciated in advance.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a chequered flag moment. The warm weather has done it's bit and the glue has probably set as hard as it's going to. This is not meant to be a review, more an observation of what can be expected. I'll leave the comments, suggestions and critical eye in the capable hands of the recipient when he's had a chance to put it to the test. I have no intention of attempting any more conversions so the thread will become the 'go to' for advice, instruction. pitfalls and shortcomings for those who fancy having a bash.
I set up a double track scenario today with an oval of R1 to try and show the limitations.
Test rolling stock was:
Inner loop - LGB Casey and ToyTrain wagons.
Outer loop - LGB Otto type plus ToyTrain coach and wagon and a Starter Set type coach.
I left the trains to run in opposite directions for 15 minutes to ensure just about every track positioning has been covered. There were no collisions or conflicts and I considered the clearances seen to be acceptable.
1: This custom radius stuff is really only suitable for SWB locos and stock to the 'ToyTrain' dimensions.
2: It might handle something like the bogie US Starter Set coaches, but I have none to test with.
3: I used a Casey as I thought this might be closer to the Chloe chassis. The rear overhang and outswing of the coupler loop was pretty close to the maximum the following stock could handle.
4: Fitting some sort of swivelling coupler on the loco might be an option, but I think most of the LGB hook and loop offerings are rigid.
5: it will function as double track, but the outer line will need to run stock no longer than a 4 wheel Starter Set coach or wagon.
6: By it's very nature, due to the original rigid framework being compromised, it will remain somewhat fragile and needs to be handled with care especially when being assembled and taken apart.
7: I would suggest it is always used 'fully supported' on a flat surface and not balanced on track piers or trestles.

There are a few photos and a short video clip below.
Please feel free to add comments or suggestions to this thread. A 'proper' one will be created in the track section after assessment has been completed.

P1060830 (2).JPGP1060832 (2).JPGP1060834 (2).JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a chequered flag moment. The warm weather has done it's bit and the glue has probably set as hard as it's going to. This is not meant to be a review, more an observation of what can be expected. I'll leave the comments, suggestions and critical eye in the capable hands of the recipient when he's had a chance to put it to the test. I have no intention of attempting any more conversions so the thread will become the 'go to' for advice, instruction. pitfalls and shortcomings for those who fancy having a bash.
I set up a double track scenario today with an oval of R1 to try and show the limitations.
Test rolling stock was:
Inner loop - LGB Casey and ToyTrain wagons.
Outer loop - LGB Otto type plus ToyTrain coach and wagon and a Starter Set type coach.
I left the trains to run in opposite directions for 15 minutes to ensure just about every track positioning has been covered. There were no collisions or conflicts and I considered the clearances seen to be acceptable.
1: This custom radius stuff is really only suitable for SWB locos and stock to the 'ToyTrain' dimensions.
2: It might handle something like the bogie US Starter Set coaches, but I have none to test with.
3: I used a Casey as I thought this might be closer to the Chloe chassis. The rear overhang and outswing of the coupler loop was pretty close to the maximum the following stock could handle.
4: Fitting some sort of swivelling coupler on the loco might be an option, but I think most of the LGB hook and loop offerings are rigid.
5: it will function as double track, but the outer line will need to run stock no longer than a 4 wheel Starter Set coach or wagon.
6: By it's very nature, due to the original rigid framework being compromised, it will remain somewhat fragile and needs to be handled with care especially when being assembled and taken apart.
7: I would suggest it is always used 'fully supported' on a flat surface and not balanced on track piers or trestles.

There are a few photos and a short video clip below.
Please feel free to add comments or suggestions to this thread. A 'proper' one will be created in the track section after assessment has been completed.

View attachment 288490View attachment 288491View attachment 288492
Very good, you could call your creation R0.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good, Mike. If running double track, I think I would add a half length straight to the outer oval. As regards assembly and disassembly, I was thinking of fitting the curves permanently to a couple of pieces of baseboard and just add straight track on piers between the two curved ends.

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just received the track and looks to be working great. The overhang from the Chloe is probably just on the limits of what it can take and it does seem a bit dodgy at higher speeds - but for what I want (for it to go slowly around my Christmas tree) it's perfect! It manages to pull along my sound effect caboose great.

Attachments

• IMG_6532.jpg
    IMG_6532.jpg
    912.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6534.jpg
    IMG_6534.jpg
    865.9 KB · Views: 0

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent! :)

A brilliant job, Mike.

Just a small tip (oo-er...) - as the Chloe is based on the LGB Feldbahn mechanism, apparently they don't like being left to run for TOO long at a time without a break to cool off (unlike the larger "standard" LGB gearbox mechanisms that will happily run pretty much for ever), so when you put it round the tree at Christmas it's probably best not to just turn it on in the morning and leave it running all day.... ;)

Jon.

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent! :)

A brilliant job, Mike.

Just a small tip (oo-er...) - as the Chloe is based on the LGB Feldbahn mechanism, apparently they don't like being left to run for TOO long at a time without a break to cool off (unlike the larger "standard" LGB gearbox mechanisms that will happily run pretty much for ever), so when you put it round the tree at Christmas it's probably best not to just turn it on in the morning and leave it running all day.... ;)

Jon.
Thanks, good tip! I'll probably connect it to a smart plug so it's running at key times with plenty of breaks for it to cool down. I will probably also flip the direction of the train every few days so it wears eveningly.