Would like to change a fixed 4.7k resistor to a trim pot ??

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Would like to change a fixed 4.7k resistor to a trim pot ?? What type of trim pot should I purchase? It's to adjust the throw of a servo on points blades. I had assumed something like a 4 to 5k adjustable pot, but doesn't seem to work that way. Thanks.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Rather than mess with the electronics, have you considered an 'Omega Loop' spring?

This allows you some 'wriggle-room', and will hold the blade firmly over, but you should be able to run-through, if needed.

PhilP

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Rather than mess with the electronics, have you considered an 'Omega Loop' spring?

This allows you some 'wriggle-room', and will hold the blade firmly over, but you should be able to run-through, if needed.

PhilP
You will have to elaborate. Not sure how this will change the points. I would still like to adjust the servo throw so I don't get buzzing servos that aren't adjusted right.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Will need a bit more to go on?

Changing a fixed 4.7k resistor to a trim pot, for buzzing Servo's, is somewhat ambiguous and unspecific.

Further details would be helpful, i.e how are the Servo's presently being controlled, how or what is used to adjust the Servo throw, type of power supply?........................

Further reading that may or may not be of any use.......

Servo Tester Modified

NE555 and Skeleton Trim Pot

Arduino Servo Control

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
well, if your fixed value is 4.7k, then you would want a pot where the MIDDLE of the range would be 4.7k (5k)

so, depending on the sensitivity, a 10k pot might do it, but you don't have the SCALE of how much resistance makes the desired changes.

Perhaps a 4k resistor in series with a 2k trimpot would be better... without more data to go with, that's all that can be said.

Greg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I would try a 3.9k resistor in series with a 2k (if available) or 5 k pot.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Would like to change a fixed 4.7k resistor to a trim pot ?? What type of trim pot should I purchase? It's to adjust the throw of a servo on points blades. I had assumed something like a 4 to 5k adjustable pot, but doesn't seem to work that way. Thanks.
I used this type and have had success.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag