ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
... LGB R5 points Inlaid to the frog are two metal "plates" that I assume are to support the wheel flanges as they pass on either path through the it.

View attachment 254339

Those "plates" are live and allow metal flanges to pick up power, thus improving continuity through what is otherwise quite a long "dead" frog.

You'll find the same thing in some bands of pointwork in the smaller scales, for example look at this N gauge double slip by Minitrix;
trix%2014960.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Double slip, double slip, must get a double slip. Apologies to Mr Ben Elton. I likes a doubleslip on my line. This one is a wood sleepered GRS item utilising LGB code 332 rail configured to work with their 6ft radius points and LGB R5's. And there are brass frogs in there like all their other handmade 45 mm gauge brass rail points and crossings they make, but not live ones. GRS stuff can be a bit of a pain if the current buss bars, connecting to the rails, detach from their soldered joints. Bought 2nd hand on GSC sales page a while back. Max

20180227_115231.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I still think it's academic - the points are like the rest of us; old and knackered :confused::confused:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The OP's post is an R1? I think you have to cut it out... The R3 I think has a removable frog, as well as the R5... I think the differences are by the conducting strips in the bottom of the wing rail flangeways.

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I still think it's academic - the points are like the rest of us; old and knackered :confused::confused:
No one's going to thank you for pointing that out, but a least we're all live.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
No one's going to thank you for pointing that out, but a least we're all live.

What? As opposed to the frog's you mean? :giggle::giggle:

Now why can 'we' get away with comments like that on this Forum, but I got 'flamed' for a (slightly flippant) introduction of myself, on a different forum? :(:(

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Now why can 'we' get away with comments like that on this Forum, but I got 'flamed' for a (slightly flippant) introduction of myself, on a different forum? :(:(
Hang loose, mother goose :smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

Homour is a funny thing

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks! I was not sure if they were R1 or R3, definitely not R5... I tried to translate the fitting instructions, but my google translation did not really discriminate between "remove" and "cut out" the original frog. I got the part that the new frog might need shimming.

Greg

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, the joys of Mr Heyn's live frogs. Been getting to grips with these things on my 009 indoor layout - mandatory with Peco's ubiquitous system. Bit of a culture shock after years of dead ones in the garden. Possibly a pain if you had to have a polarity switcher on every one as DC or a juicer if DCC or mix them up with dead ones on an existing line. But a nice idea for getting those 0-4-0's and track cleaning locos through your switches - an oft heard problem here. Though, if a retrofit, you are still left with the problem of a mismatch in adjoining railhead and wing/check rail heights. So I guess full replacement might be the only option after all on the CFR for those worn points. Max