The Last Days of the Sandwell Valley Railway

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways & more caving. Fan of TTTE
1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.co.uk
Best answers
I’ve really loved seeing all of the videos that have been posted to this forum. I’ve viewed most of them with more than a little jealousy as it’s now been over 3 years since I was the proud owner of my own G Scale garden Railway.
I know that I am in the minority here, in fact I’m probably the only one, but then again I’ve always been a bit of an oddball. I see that you are all justifiably proud of your chosen locomotives and rolling stock and that is mainly what you have filmed but for me trains are something that pass by occasionally (a few times a day) and for most of the time all that is seen is the track and infrastructure and this is the bit I like just as much.
This is my video contribution. It was taken from just before my railway was dismantled until all of the track had been lifted. If it’s all about the trains for you then you won’t want to watch as you won’t see any, just the track and structures.

Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve really loved seeing all of the videos that have been posted to this forum. I’ve viewed most of them with more than a little jealousy as it’s now been over 3 years since I was the proud owner of my own G Scale garden Railway.
I know that I am in the minority here, in fact I’m probably the only one, but then again I’ve always been a bit of an oddball. I see that you are all justifiably proud of your chosen locomotives and rolling stock and that is mainly what you have filmed but for me trains are something that pass by occasionally (a few times a day) and for most of the time all that is seen is the track and infrastructure and this is the bit I like just as much.
This is my video contribution. It was taken from just before my railway was dismantled until all of the track had been lifted. If it’s all about the trains for you then you won’t want to watch as you won’t see any, just the track and structures.

Great video - I just find it disturbingly sad.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

A wonderfully atmospheric video, beautifully filmed and with a suitably melancholy soundtrack. Both sad and yet uplifting at the same time. What an ending to a wonderful period of time in the garden, superb.

David

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A fitting tribute to a great railway which through your videos has given (and still gives) many hours of enjoyment to others.

Thank you.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Great video - I just find it disturbingly sad.

Especially with how we are now..

I put an oval on the grass.. A couple of years ago (probably) I 'broke-out' with a point, and went further down the garden, on the path. - There is still the 'shadow' of the sleepers, in the moss, growing on the slabs:

DSC02295.JPG

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
A fitting tribute to a great railway which through your videos has given (and still gives) many hours of enjoyment to others.

Thank you.
Very kind of you to say so. I'm itching to get started with my new venture.
Keith

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
Especially with how we are now..

I put an oval on the grass.. A couple of years ago (probably) I 'broke-out' with a point, and went further down the garden, on the path. - There is still the 'shadow' of the sleepers, in the moss, growing on the slabs.
That's exactly how it was. After I'd taken up the track I could see the indentations the sleepers had made in the ballast and the moss. It looked so like a Beeching line a few months after the track gang had removed the rails.
I learned my trade as a garden railway videographer from Pine Tree Junction. There's just a couple of simple rules - get in close whenever possible and try to not include anything in the background that may detract from the shot, so no buildings, fences etc. I know that we don't all have the luxury of having a garden big enough to keep our railways well away from obviously made-man structures but even on smaller layouts it's usually possible to plan shots that will show off your trains to best effect.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
And..............
(unless it is planned, or course..)
Never work with Children, or Animals:

DSC01730.JPG

PhilP