Wiring LGB points, novice need help please.

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
West Midlands United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I have to wire up several sets of LGB points ( No 1201/10 point motor) for my layout but I am not sure what I need to do this. I think i need an on-off-on self centring switch ? and a transformer ? If this is correct what type of transformer do I need and what output ? 12v or 18v and what amperage and where can I buy one ?
Any advice and info gratefully received.Thank you.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
You will need a suitable AC supply of around 18V, 1a or 0.5A will do.

You may already have a LGB one with an AC output.

You need AC, but the LGB Switch Units rectify this into DC to move the point motor.

The LGB ones are quite expensive, so I recommend these Gaugemaster switches, which come with diodes and instructions.

Everything you need and you can build them into your own mimic panel as I did before I went to the digital Dark Side....

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the info. May I please ask what the diodes do ?

You need AC, but the LGB Switch Units rectify this into DC to move the point motor.

The LGB ones are quite expensive, so I recommend these Gaugemaster switches, which come with diodes and instructions.

Everything you need and you can build them into your own mimic panel as I did before I went to the digital Dark Side....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
The diodes rectify the AC to DC (direct current).

You put a diode on each side of the switch but in a different orientation. The diodes 'rectify' the Alternating Current to a Directional Current.

The point motor is an actual motor which does half a rotation. The diodes change the direction of the current so that the motor operates a half turn either clockwise or counter clockwise, diving a pinion which meshes with a rack that connects to the tie bar of your point....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Like this:

DSC02183.JPG

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Actually the diodes rectify the AC to pulsating DC...

The pulsating DC allows a higher voltage than constant DC, helps give a bit more "oomph" and also simplifies the type (cost) of the electrical switch needed..

Greg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Actually the diodes rectify the AC to pulsating DC...

The pulsating DC allows a higher voltage than constant DC, helps give a bit more "oomph" and also simplifies the type (cost) of the electrical switch needed..

Greg
You are correct Greg,

but I sensed the OP might not be familiar with electronics, and I tried to keep my answer as simple as I could.

Hopefully Shunter46 will keep us posted as to how he gets on....

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Guys for the information re wiring LGB points. A couple of switches order so I will let you know how I get on when it’s successful done.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
You only need 1 set of diodes to keep the wiring simple. The diode wiring feeds the ends of the DPDT, center off switch and the center feeds the EPL drive.
much simpler wiring!!

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
It's not essential you use an AC supply and diodes, a DC supply is perfectly adequate. I switch my LGB point motors with an old 16v DC Scalextric transformer. I originally used momentary DPDT switches .....

..... but I now use a Deltang Transmitter and receiver to trigger relays.

Rik

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
It's not essential you use an AC supply and diodes, a DC supply is perfectly adequate. I switch my LGB point motors with an old 16v DC Scalextric transformer. I originally used momentary DPDT switches .....

..... but I now use a Deltang Transmitter and receiver to trigger relays.

Rik
Rik, just read your Deltang to trigger points, very interesting, and when i move totally to battery and remove the TE, it is roughly what I am after, though currently it is a little beyond me. I will have to read it a few times, its the Picaxe that I need to get my head around. :)

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Rik, just read your Deltang to trigger points, very interesting, and when i move totally to battery and remove the TE, it is roughly what I am after, though currently it is a little beyond me. I will have to read it a few times, its the Picaxe that I need to get my head around. :)
Jimmy,
When the time comes..
You can put the Picaxe with my Lump Hammer.. :)
(We have ways of moving your points.. ).

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Phil, does this mean you have found the lump hammer?
Unfortunately not.. :(
But can drive points and signals without the Picaxe now.. :)