window glazing

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Need suggestions, installing window glazing on Playmobil windows using clear plastic sheets, the window is a double hung and the lower window will move up and down in front of the upper window, there isn't room for the movable one to move up and down if there is glazing on it. The window will be partially open on some and others will be all the way the open ? is should I put glazing on the top fixed window and just on the part of the lower window that is not in the area of the top window? All suggestions appreciated, Bill

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Need suggestions, installing window glazing on Playmobil windows using clear plastic sheets, the window is a double hung and the lower window will move up and down in front of the upper window, there isn't room for the movable one to move up and down if there is glazing on it. The window will be partially open on some and others will be all the way the open ? is should I put glazing on the top fixed window and just on the part of the lower window that is not in the area of the top window? All suggestions appreciated, Bill
If you can get hold of them glass for glass slides is nice and thin and may work for smaller sized windows.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with Jon, try a an old school chemistry lab or similar for supplies

Reactions: 1 user

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
Could you show a picture of which windows you are doing? There are a lot of different kinds of playmobil train windows. I would hate to cut glass. I've used clear plastic since it's easy to cut and the lighter weight might be less strain on the mild glues I use for preservation of the playmobil plastic.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I find glazing windows is a bit of a pane.

David

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
"Need help, with your confidential shredding?..!

DSC02244.JPG

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Could you show a picture of which windows you are doing? There are a lot of different kinds of playmobil train windows. I would hate to cut glass. I've used clear plastic since it's easy to cut and the lighter weight might be less strain on the mild glues I use for preservation of the playmobil plastic.
Try using double sided sticky tape.

Railway42

LGB, Radio Control Model Boat, Electronics
28 Feb 2013
Cheddar
Best answers
Country flag
For real glass use 2.5 x 2.5 photo slide glass and Canopy glue to fix it dries clear.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
As said it depends on the size and if what you can get will work in that respect, cutting glass slide would be an issue.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I thought I’d resurrect this thread after 18 months! I too am looking for glazing that will a) Not fog b) not bend and c) be easy to cut. I’ve looked at slide mount glass but it’s too small for most of my windows (I model in 15mm/16mm ft so building are reasonably big. I’ve looked at microscope slides, but reasonable sized pieces of glass are hugely expensive. Someone in another thread suggested CD boxes but I have a feeling they would fog.

I live in Northwest Florida so the sun is quite strong here.

I’ve thought of cutting the glass in small picture frames, but isn’t that a bit thick?

Any suggestions Ladies and Gents?

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I've been saving the clear plastic "windows" from the boxes of Preiser figures. The second pic is a built-up Pola building I got cheap at a train show four years ago. It needed a lot of reconstructing. I used a piece of Preiser clear plastic to "re-glaze" the display window. It's been outside year-round three years now and holding up well.

Glazing - 1 (1).jpeg Glazing - 1.jpeg

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil. Now, where to get that other than to go and buy a bunch of Preiser figures ;-)

I think I know the sort of plastic you mean.