Wind Farm Interference

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
C'mon guys - be honest with yourselves.......

What would you rather have at the foot of your garden - A wind turbine or a nuclear reactor....? :confused:

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Ian_S said:

What would you rather have at the foot of your garden - A wind turbine or a nuclear reactor....? :confused:
All I want is a reliable source and it's not wind.

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Like anything else it is best not to be reliant on any one form of energy and wind although not always constant will be become a major source of energy in the UK. The best schemes though are the ones like the Thames Estuary wind farm that gets plenty of wind most of the time, is very large generating the same as a good size power station and is in a location that doesn't bother most people. If mixed with small gas fired power stations that can be switched on and off at short notice they should be a very good source of power, also once the power line are installed once more efficient turbine are produced it will not be such a big cost to upgrade them. One of the reason for the government subsidy is to help pay development cost so that it is economic for companies to development better designs.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Ian_S said:

Within 12 miles of me I have both. At least the reactor keeps me warm on a still and cold night.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
And no-one has mentioned the damage being caused to the undersea environment by the heating effect of the current in the cables bringing the power ashore from windfarms in the sea. Bringing all sorts of nasty creatures over here that we definitely don't want.

doverles

Les
25 Oct 2009
kent
Best answers
what was the answer to Jeff's question then:confused::confused:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
doverles said:
what was the answer to Jeff's question then:confused::confused:
Fair point.

I have only experience with Playmobil and sometimes for no apparent reason the locos, with different crystals, act as Jeff described. It might be that the signal is bouncing off metal objects close to the track and is definitely worse when transmitter or receiver batteries are running low but it doesn't always occur.
Never fathomed it, sorry.

Jeff

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Best answers
The answewr as ever was as simple as can be.
I was impressed by the 2.4ghz system bought to replace a failed oild unit, so I bought another matching receiver, installed it this morning and matched it to my TX - what a difference. The loco ran under complete control - and on its first run was under the severe gaze of the son of one of my wifes pals. Bitter experienc of life has always been that if something is going to go wrong it will happen with a critical audience - so if 2.4gHz works then I give it my very best recommendation

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Jeff said:
The answewr as ever was as simple as can be.
I was impressed by the 2.4ghz system bought to replace a failed oild unit, so I bought another matching receiver, installed it this morning and matched it to my TX - what a difference. The loco ran under complete control - and on its first run was under the severe gaze of the son of one of my wifes pals. Bitter experienc of life has always been that if something is going to go wrong it will happen with a critical audience - so if 2.4gHz works then I give it my very best recommendation
Glad it has worked Jeff but at least we had a good old rant!:D:D

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Stainzmeister said:
Windfarms are absolute crap.
The power they produce (When they work) costs twice as much as any conventional power station (Gas, coal or nuclear).
They are heavily subsidised by the government - another whopping financial mistake.

To top that they look bloody awful.
Maybe but what are the alternatives?? Nuclear? OMG yeah!!! solar at best about 15% efficiency and the sun does have to shine on them and then what happens when darkness falls?
The real question we should be asking is why are these things so expensive and why does the power the produce cost so much? I have a sneaking suspicion that its all mark up. The ones we have in Oz are all of foriegn manufacture too, German and Skandinavian Visually unappealing maybe but what is worse a wind farm or a coal fired powerstation? the other problems seems that they have no electrical i.e. Faraday shielding...
Alas we have no choice we all need energy and those of us in colder climates need more.... Strangley we have a considerable number of people who have gone solo in Australia and supply their own electricity and thats great if you a) dont want to watch tv use an electric stove or kettle b) happy to go back to the days of the kero fridge and c) happy to put in what it takes to make your own.... And the rorts we had with solar panels on roof tops connected to the power grid defy belief, those that have them were subsidised by those who didnt...
So how many live in the Outer Hebridies and how much do they pay for their wind power? And why would you live there anyway? may as well live in Ice Station Zebra....

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have solar panels on my roof and thanks to the subsidies the power co owes me $450.
When the subsidies end and I get paid the same rate /KwHr as what I buy electricity then my power bill will be approx !/2 of what I paid with no solar.
I have a friend who lives on a farm in Goulburn in NSW and he is fully self sufficient running on batteries and has all the mod electrical cons including a welder.
I lived near a cola fired station for years and won't go with in cooee of one again as for nuclear who wants to glow in the dark?

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
I think solar panels are great in principle. Currently in the UK suppliers offer resonable warranties on the panels themselves, but I have not seen any that offer more than 3 years on the inverters. If they go west it's mucho dosh. Until they lengthen the warranty period it's a no no for me.

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Woderwick said:
I think solar panels are great in principle. Currently in the UK suppliers offer resonable warranties on the panels themselves, but I have not seen any that offer more than 3 years on the inverters. If they go west it's mucho dosh. Until they lengthen the warranty period it's a no no for me.

Wod - not sure when you last checked, but since the feed in tarrif
dropped most installer have halved their costs, and upped their game
any decent company will now offer at least 10years warrenty, on the inverters
and up to 25years on the rest of the system.

We currently have 10 years on the whole system and 20years on the panels and
boards indepently insured from the installation company.

First year of the system now in the bag £1800 earned/saved =
18% return on origional investment :clap: was a good winter
though worst day was 70p best was £12.21 thats earned and saved
combined.
Last few days its earned/saved us £15 a day avg
roll on theSUN (well clear blue skies really)
:D:D:D:D

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
My garding is not big enough for a nuclear reactor, so it would have to be a very small windfarm. Incidentally, nothing to do with this, but there are places I have been to in China where outside the back door is a one man operation coal mine. The guy gets up, has his brekker, says bye bye to wifie, and goes down his coal mine. He comes back up at teatime for his tea. He doesn't do anything else, never goes anywhere, no holidays etc. I've seen hundreds of these.