Wifi Interference with RC?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi All,

I have three Cliff Barker RC locos which I have been extremely pleased with. One is "AM" the others are "FM".

I have charged all three and put fresh cells in the transmitters. However the FM "433 MHz" (whatever that means) locos are not cooperating. the FM locos are completely refusing to play ball. The locos do not respond at all in anyway.

The AM loco is perfect as usual.

In the intervening months I have fitted stronger wifi to reach my garage and therefore the garden too. Could this be the issue?

I know its an easy test- but I am away with work all week and only just thought of this! Or am I misunderstanding and an RC train and a brand new WiFi router would never interfere with each other?

Let me know.....

Ian

PS I am due to chat with Cliff when I have time- he has been helpful, but also wanted to counsel the experts here!

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
433 mhz is close to amature radio 70cms on 435mhz or taxi stuff on 430mhz

wifi is 2,1 ghz

any hams near you as i know if I keyed up here on 70cms takes out any low power stuff near 430mhzs

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Do you use the same transmitter for the FM locos? If so are you sure the new battery is good and not duff, and fitted the right way round?

Dumb question I know, but I always ask the easy ones first.... ???

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I don't know about any hams locally.... also Gizzy the transmitter has an LED and also I have tested the battery so its not that....

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Okay second dumb question coming up.

Do you need to re-bind the frequencies on the FM kit?

I don't know much about RC and FM but I'm sure I have read somewhere on the forum a need to re-bind, and as you have changed the batteries, I reckon these settings will have been lost....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
433MHz and Wi-Fi, are totally different bits of radio spectrum..
My guess would be you need to re-bind the transmitters/receivers to each other..

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I remember I had problems with my Massoth 1200Z and its wireless connection.
The Massoth 433 mhz signal is so powerful that it 'drowned' most or our X10 wireless house switches (also 433mhz).

Only found out one evening whilst running trains...we couldn't use any of the wireless X10 wall switches to turn on sidelights, TV.audio mains etc etc.

The Massoth sender has 4 settings in it for slight variations around the 433 mhz range but only one allows most of the X10 stuff to operate properly

The Massoth does cause a little problem at times with the wireless router signal (it shouldn't, the router being 2.1 and 5ghz, but it does!) just like the microwave can do........

Like-wise our internet sometimes affects the kitchen TV's digital signal!!
Apparently it is not only to do with frequency but also the power of the signal