Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Apologies for yet another post in this forum section, but I`m trying to find someone who makes what I believe are termed branch colour light signals - ie a signal mast with two colour light heads, to be used adjacent to points to show whether the left track or right track is set. (I`ve attached a picture of the kind of thing I`m after but it`s in smaller scale)

There seem to be several suppliers of these for smaller scales - e.g. Berko - but the only place I`ve found to date that had anything similar for larger scale was Shiloh signals (and as I posted yesterday, their website address seems to go to a hosting page, not to the company`s website).

I`ve tried to figure out how I could make a signal myself, and I came up with a simple design using aluminum tubing. However, metal working is beyond my capabilities at present. I also considered how to bash a couple of LGB signals into something that might be ok, but they aren`t cheap so a costly cock-up is a real possibility.

If any kind soul can either point me at a supplier or a company that might make these to order, or can suggest how I could build one myself, I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Phil

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 258
  • 141.jpg
    141.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 34

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Not seen those?

I chopped up a Bachmann signal gantry to have double 2 aspect heads.

And I have also adapted Playmobil signals to work on an MTS supply....

Robert Howard

Registered
1 Feb 2014
Derby UK
Best answers
TM Models might be worth contacting:

http://www.tmmodels.net/Signals/Signals_Main_Page.html

Website mentions two aspect signals but no pics and does not mention stock levels etc

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Some years ago I Purchased some simple Colour Light 2 aspect G scale signals which were marketed by Martins models, I think they were around £15 to £18 each. They looked quite effective in the garden.

I have no idea if the manufacture of these has been taken on by anyone else, but would be interested to know, from memory I think that the parts used could easily be adapted to make other 'types' of signal ie brackets, junctions etc

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
If metalworking is a problem how about plastic? Plastruct and various others do a range of tubes that could be cut up to make the hoods over lenses and the main post. Your average colour light signal head is a small box with a faceplate so fairly easy to make if you can cut straight lines and use LED's for the aspects. You can also glue in a piece of brass wire up the tube and into the 'head' so they take knocks without falling apart in the garden, bend them back and strengthen with glue if they do get hit. You'll need a good couple of coats of paint to protect them from UV light.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
I have emailed TM Models to request a photo if possible, so we can see what they look like.

Unless anyone on here can post a pic?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You can 'bash' something reasonable from some 15A 'choc-block' connection strip..
Cut individual pieces of strip. remove the metalwork. Bend LED legs 90 degrees, add wire, resistor(s), and insulate.. You can even be really crude with the post, and use McDonalds drinking straws!
You can improve them by shaping the 'cowl' over the light, and adding a rounded top with suitable filler.. Once given a coat of primer, and the heads painted black, they are quite passable..
Possibly the cheapest signals going??

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the responses. The Plastruct suggestion sounds interesting, and the "choc-block" suggestion is a route I've been down before for signals in out of the way areas. (In fact, I believe I still have one of the "original" pens Mike used with choc-blocks to create signals way back in GSM days and in an earlier incarnation of Lazy Grange Bay - he kindly shared these with me at a G-Rail event near Nottingham, as I recall).

Best wishes
Phil

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
i've used these to make signals they do some other bits in various gauges as well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-pcs-O-gauge-LEDs-made-Dwarf-Signals-2-aspects-Green-over-Red-/150641114542?hash=item2312e8fdae

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ralphmp said:
Thanks for the responses. The Plastruct suggestion sounds interesting, and the "choc-block" suggestion is a route I've been down before for signals in out of the way areas. (In fact, I believe I still have one of the "original" pens Mike used with choc-blocks to create signals way back in GSM days and in an earlier incarnation of Lazy Grange Bay - he kindly shared these with me at a G-Rail event near Nottingham, as I recall).
Best wishesj
Phil

Why not try looking at a Local Station or two, Network Rail have been replacing Signals of all sorts with what can only be described as Lego Lollipop Lights. They come in all sorts of Crude Box Shapes and sizes with lots of Leds for the lamps. You could easily get away with a small cheep Box. I got some small Paint Pallets from Squires at Bognor 30x17mm at 50p a Pop. Perfect I reckon on some Plastic Tube. You could probably get the Plastic Tube from them as well and any LED's that you need. Makes sence to get as much as you can at one time to get best value from Postage.
JonD

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
Is your railway digital or dc? I have 3 of the TM Models signals and cable going spare as I've now moved house and have a much smaller garden than before. PM me and I'll send you some photos etc.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Andy Worsfold said:
Is your railway digital or dc? I have 3 of the TM Models signals and cable going spare as I've now moved house and have a much smaller garden than before. PM me and I'll send you some photos etc.

Would you bbe able to post the photos so all can see them as there are no pictures on TM's website, and maybe say how good or otherwise you found them?

Andy Worsfold

24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
I`ve a couple of non operational photos which I`ll upload. My system, non digital, used a control box connected to reed switches and lgb point motors which changed the signals as the train went past, so from green to red. I have no use for them now as my new line only has semaphores! The TM signals are really bright.

2012-10-24 13.23.29resized.jpg

Andy Worsfold

24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
There may be a very brief view of working signals here too....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z4sVHUKLG0

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
So in the end I decided to have ago at making my own `bracket` colour light signal. Hopefully the pictures below will be of interest.

Step 1 - get hold of a bog standard LGB manual semaphore signal; I bought this one new for about £15.

Step 2 - remove all of the semaphore mechanism and you find at the top of the mast a notch where the semaphore signal lamp used to live.

Step 3 - extend the notch the full width of the mast and you find that the expanded notch is just the right size to take a square section Plastruct tube (thanks to PaulRhb for putting me onto Plastruct!)

Step 4 - make a couple of end caps for the `tube`; I used square section channel as shown in the picture

Step 5 - take a couple of LED signal heads (I had these from a visit to Glendale a while back but as sparky230 has posted there are similar ones available on eBay), drill holes in the square `tube` for the wires and then mount heads onto the square `tube`

Step 6 - attach `tube` plus signals to mast - the wires from the signals fit nicely through the screw hole originally used to mount the semaphore arm - and I now have the kind of bracket signal I wanted.

Step 7 - may be to do some repainting / weathering and add an inspection platform, hand rails and ladder once the signal is in place.

Not prototypical but as a Rule 8 supporter I don`t mind :D

I`ll post another photo when the signal is installed on my layout.

Best wishes
Phil

Attachments

• IMG_0954_small.jpg
    IMG_0954_small.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0955_small.jpg
    IMG_0955_small.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0956_small.jpg
    IMG_0956_small.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0957_small.jpg
    IMG_0957_small.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0958_small.jpg
    IMG_0958_small.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0959_small.jpg
    IMG_0959_small.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0971_small.jpg
    IMG_0971_small.jpg
    713.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0973_small.jpg
    IMG_0973_small.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 32

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Its good to see that there are some 'modellers' still prepared to have a go.

I never did get a reply from TM in Crewe rgarding their signals, anyone know of they are still in business/?

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks are due to Matt at GRS for suggesting using the LGB signal as a basis - I was a bit flummoxed up till then.

Andy Worsfold

24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
stevelewis said:
Its good to see that there are some 'modellers' still prepared to have a go.

I never did get a reply from TM in Crewe rgarding their signals, anyone know of they are still in business/?

I think they are. Did you want to try one of mine. PM me and I'll send you one to try.

Andy Worsfold

24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
Photo for Gizzy

20150824_141246_resized (1).jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Andy Worsfold said:
Photo for Gizzy

[attachment=0][/attachment]
Ta!

PM sent....