Which Make of Live Steam

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
£249.00 to make your loco go slower. I'm impressed. Alright, I understand the need, but £250? EACH? Someone is extracting the Michael here.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
£249.00 to make your loco go slower. I'm impressed. Alright, I understand the need, but £250? EACH? Someone is extracting the Michael here.
I know it sounds a lot and they can on some Older Roundhouse Locomotive be a bit tricky to fit, my very old Jack being a case in point as the weight bar was not fitted with Screw but a Pin as it is that old. But the difference in running has to be seen to be believed. Jimmie’s Line is quite modest with if I remember LGB R2 Curves (he got some of them from me) and R3 points plus a Gradient in not a lot of space. Driving pretty well any Live Steam Loco on his Line will likely be a bit tricky unless it has a SloMo or is a Geared Jobby. In effect the SloMo turns the Roundhouse into a sweet docile beast and the cost is certainly well worth it. The reason I mentioned it is because Roundhouse are a very good buy new, will run ‘as sure as sunrise’ (and not be that bad out of the Bix compared with some that appear to have a Rocketbupmtheir Tail Pipe) and be pretty good out of the box to boot. Within the locs I suggested his 2k Budget would leave enough for the Loco and a SloMo with some change. I believe strongly that he wiill get great satisfaction and fun from such a loco as indeed I do with my 2 SloMo fitted Roundhouse Locomotives.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I get your point. I've seen Slo-Mo-fitted locos many times at shows, and yes, the idea is impressive. However, it's horses for courses for me - my Shay doesn't need one, and I drive my other two 16mm steamers with a load that makes a Slo-Mo unnecessary. My 'layout' doesn't need any kind of switching operation - where an inertia device is useful. If I ever sell enough kidneys to invest in a 'Lilla', I might just get one, but till then, I'll manage to live deprived of inertia.

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
£249.00 to make your loco go slower. I'm impressed.
You also need to add on import duty, which may or may not be charged. A friend bought one recently and the final cost was pushing £300 before he actually had it in his hand. And not available for Lilla as there is no space between the frames for the device.

In effect the SloMo turns the Roundhouse into a sweet docile beast...
As does turning down the gas and running at 20-30psi.

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
^
This.

Sad to learn about 'Lilla', but I guess I'll live....

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve had a number of Roundhouse live steam locomotives over the years. Each and everyone of them has been excellent both in build quality and running capabilities. For a starter locomotive I would recommend either the Billy Katy. Either is well within your budget with radio control included.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Running at a lower psi is an interesting suggestion. We adjusted the safety valve to blow off at 40psi rather than 60psi on my brother’s Accucraft Caradoc which made it a much nicer loco to drive. My Roundhouse loco has far more power than is needed when running at 40psi so it could be that 30 psi would be better.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Among the current builders of live steamers, nobody beats a Roundhouse. You first take a model that gets 12 hours of run time on steam before it leaves the factory, so all the bugs are worked out already(doesn't apply to the kits or basic range models), then add the replacement parts and logistical support that is second to none and its hard for anybody else to compete. Many try and there are plenty of the models out there running on garden lines. But in my humble opinion, Roundhouse is top of the pile when all things are considered. You can, on your own, fit reversing gear to the basic range models, Bertie, Sammie and Jennie would be the easiest. I myself did this to a Sammie using Roundhouse's Walschearts valve gear kit. So full RC ablities can be added to even the basic series models. Ultimately your choice will be controled by your wallet and curve radius. At the end of the day, its hard....no make that nearly impossbile to go wrong with anything from the Roundhouse Engineering Company. Nuf said! Cheers Mike the Aspie

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You also need to add on import duty, which may or may not be charged. A friend bought one recently and the final cost was pushing £300 before he actually had it in his hand. And not available for Lilla as there is no space between the frames for the device.

As does turning down the gas and running at 20-30psi.
I lucked out in that with my two, bit of a game of chance but it still falls within his the 2k Budget that Jimmy has whatever of the 3 RH Loco’s I suggested he may choose.

SLIP ECCENTRIC REVERCING.
If he went that way, having had a Slip Eccentric Loco in my early days of Live Steam I would never go for one again as non-automatic reversing without the hand of God is complete pain. One or two RH earlier Locomotives had it most likely the cheeper end ones but I see that they are not made just now but do pop up,on the Second Hand Market.

SECOND HAND.
Certainly would suggest for his first one that Jimmy stays clear of Second Hand, once one is more experienced then IF further acquisitions are considered could with care be Second Hand.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Lots of good sound advice; just for some clarity, most of my curved track is LGB R3, but I have some Aristocraft 3 ft radius, my R1 points are going, my Bachmann doesn't like them, my gradient is around 1:25. Having been in touch with RH, it would seem most of their locos will manage this.
Second-Hand - as Jon has pointed out, as a novice I would steer away from this.
Thank you all for your responses, 30 posts and no real thread drift :)

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
There is of course the Regner 'Easyline' series of locos (apologies if it has been mentioned already).
These are, in the most part, able to have RC fitted.
They are small, some being low geared so they are easy to control... and they look, well, like prototypes of locos that 'could have been' for industry etc.

A few of them can be customised to look very much like a loco that would have existed on a logging complex, stoneworks, industrial complex or a little branch line.

They are great fun and a nice way to to get into Live Steam

I have a few of them to partner my Accucraft geared and rodded live steam locos

Graham at Garden Railways supplies the locos and will supply them with RC fitted if requested.

Regner Lumberjack

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
SLIP ECCENTRIC REVERCING.
If he went that way, having had a Slip Eccentric Loco in my early days of Live Steam I would never go for one again as non-automatic reversing without the hand of God is complete pain. One or two RH earlier Locomotives had it most likely the cheeper end ones but I see that they are not made just now

3 slip eccentric models still very much in the current RH catalogue I provided a link to earlier Jon. But, as the "artfull dodger" has mentioned they can be upgraded to the more advanced "simplified walchaerts" spec - but then you might as well had gone for a Katie or Bertie in thr first place. You pays your money and makes your choices. Neither the R/C nor valvegear upgrades are factory fitted options on the "basics" - it's do it yourself or someone to. Max

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
3 slip eccentric models still very much in the current RH catalogue I provided a link to earlier Jon. But, as the "artfull dodger" has mentioned they can be upgraded to the more advanced "simplified walchaerts" spec - but then you might as well had gone for a Katie or Bertie in thr first place. You pays your money and makes your choices. Neither the R/C nor valvegear upgrades are factory fitted options on the "basics" - it's do it yourself or someone to. Max
Max I specifically looked at tye RH list of puffers and could not see any Slip Eccentric Locs, which ones are they?

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Max I specifically looked at tye RH list of puffers and could not see any Slip Eccentric Locs, which ones are they?

The Basic series locomotives (Bertie, Jennie, Millie & Sammie) are all Slip Eccentric.

Quotes from the operating manual for Sammie/Bertie:

"The slip eccentric valve gear is located between the rear wheels and the frames and is lubricated by running oil down the back of the wheels. "

"To reverse the locomotive, close the regulator to bring it to a halt, move the engine manually for one wheel revolution in the desired direction and open the regulator again."

I originally got hooked on live steam by playing with the Sammie loco at live steam display at the botanical gardens in Albuquerque, New Mexico. If you plan to run continuosly around the layout, the slip eccentrics don't really matter that much. Definitely would want a raised layout to keep you off your knees, however.

Last edited:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag

Scroll down to the bottom of the link I have inserted in post #5 for thr RH product catalogue PDF and you find them there. Max :)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Lots of good sound advice; just for some clarity, most of my curved track is LGB R3, but I have some Aristocraft 3 ft radius, my R1 points are going, my Bachmann doesn't like them, my gradient is around 1:25. Having been in touch with RH, it would seem most of their locos will manage this.

Well, it all depends on the subject matter. Most times we are able to keep concentrating on the aim of the post, and other times we - oh look!!! There's an otter!!!!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Something must be wrong, Shirley ;);)

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I have two Roundhouse “Basic Series “ locomotives, a Jennie and Bertie. Both are radio controlled and after being run in they perform excellently. The fact that they are slip excentric is not a problem.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
oh look!!! There's an otter!!!!

Are you sure? - I thought it was a Badger? :think:

What about the Regner 'Stainz' loco?? - Now, if it came in the darker green.. :eek::inlove: