Where to buy magnets

railman

Registered
27 Feb 2017
east sussex
Best answers
I Have just bought this tender i was wondering what magnets i need to make it whistle, sorry but this is my first time at using magnets
this is the description on advert

(It has a volume control underneath and also has reed switches in the gear box so if you have magnets in the track it will sound the whistle or bell.)

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
If it is an LGB , you can use the 17050 .
I just bought some and it works fine.

if you put it one side you get the clock and the other side the whistle.

some explanation at the bottom of the page 2

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
LGB magnets are used for left rail bell, right rail whistle/horn.
I use small round over the counter magnets and glue them to a sheet rock screw (keeps them in place). 1/20th the cost of LGB magnets.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I Have just bought this tender i was wondering what magnets i need to make it whistle, sorry but this is my first time at using magnets
this is the description on advert

(It has a volume control underneath and also has reed switches in the gear box so if you have magnets in the track it will sound the whistle or bell.)

You can use small and cheap magnets and hold them onto the track ties with removeable poster-tak putty. They're available at places in the USA like Michaels Crafts Stores, hardware stores, etc. Amazon.com also carries them. See photo.
Magnets Sound Activation.JPG

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I did try some off the shelf magnets for my tender, but had trouble positioning them, either to "deep" in the track or fouled the underside, bought the genuine thing in the and they work :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I did try some off the shelf magnets for my tender, but had trouble positioning them, either to "deep" in the track or fouled the underside, bought the genuine thing in the and they work :)
Probably to do with the strength of the Magnets. Tricky thing to check out so that one can get a comparable one that works via the LGB 17050 if you do not have a 17050 or are trying to source from the net. I think I would stick with the 17050 as they do not cost the earth and perhaps someone on here may have a few unwanted ones kicking about?